Disappointment with Discount Tire

13,711 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IWannaGoFast1
peachbasket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been favorably impressed with them in the past. However, when my daughter went in this week with what she believed was a defective tire, the folks at the store at Tower Point told her she had to have four new tires. Fortunately she called me and I told her to go to Sevciks. They sold her a replacement for the bad tire and told her she probably had 20,000 more miles on the others.
EBrazosAg
AG
Disappointing for sure. Thru many sets of tires never had a bad interaction with them - unless you count a total inability to reorder TPS sensors after rotation. I've just come to laugh about that since they have gotten it wrong the last 5 rotations in a row ....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
I've had nothing but good service but I also walk out with them when they measure the tread to make sure they are being honest.

Sevcik's is great also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MeKnowNot
I have been a big Discount Tire fan until my wife's last visit to Tower Point location.

Seems they forgot to torque the lug nuts on one tire. A few days after she took the car in for a tire rotation, I noticed one lug-nut was missing and discovered that the others were only finger tight.
Bonfire97
AG
I have always been pleased with them. However, my wife took her vehicle in for a tire rotation the other day. They told her that her Michelin tires needed to be replaced. I measured them when she got home and none of them had less than 6/32 of tread. One tire had some inside wear because of an alignment issue we had just gotten fixed. It wasn't bad, though.

I called them back up and chewed the manager out.

I wonder if they have some new directives from management to maximize profitability or something.
halibut sinclair
The Bryan Discount Tire is great.
rsa
AG
halibut sinclair said:

The Bryan Discount Tire is great.
I've always had good service the Bryan location. We've used the Texas Avenue site since it opened and have always had solid service from them as well.
Bunk Moreland
The last 2 times I took the truck to the one on Tower Point, I had random small issues too. Most egregious is they put 2 of the wrong sized tires on my truck that didn't match the other 2, even though they've had a long service history in the system. I know they're similar sizes but that's a big whiff.

When the truck started driving like **** at certain speeds I had to take it back in and then haggle with them to fix the issue. When the guy looked up the name of the person who helped me originally he just rolled his eyes.
Big Country51
AG
I have always gone to discounts in Houston. Went to tower point and it was terrible service and work just for rotating my tires
Bunk Moreland
And I should say every single other discount tire has been fantastic over 10+ years. Not just in B/CS, but Texas Ave & Bryan loc's are also great.
techno-ag
AG
Sounds like the issues all center on the Tower Point location.
BCStalk
I love the Bryan location. I will say though that I have my own gauge and always record what they are every month. Not only does it keep companies honest, but it helps me know what my tire wear is and how I want them rotated.
Rexter
Mike McAleese is or was the GM for Tx Ave and Bryan. His daughter is or was working in the Bryan store. I've never had issues with either of those. The GM at Tower Point has no service skills. I had to talk to the DM to straighten out the guy over checking the air in a m/c tire. The GM said they couldn't touch an m/c for any reason. The DM got that handled. It sucks to have to make a call like that.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Its definitely just individual locations IMO

I drive 40-45,000 miles/yr and DT has been extremely handy for me all over the state

Some of the newer locations, i think, are trying the upsell thing too hard
AG
Been to the TP location probably half a dozen times with no issues.
kyledr04
AG
TP has been ok except I special ordered 3 tires for my trailer (2 plus the spare) and booked an appointment. They called to confirm they got the tires. When i got there, they only had 2. Had wait longer to get it from the other store.
Bunk Moreland
Aggie1205 said:

Been to the TP location probably half a dozen times with no issues.

And I have probably been that many times as well with no issue. But the last 2 were complete **** ups. That's enough to avoid them given how convenient Texas Ave and Bryan loc's are.
Post removed:
by user
Buford T. Justice
AG
I purchased a complete set at the TP location. About 8 months later, I picked up a nail in one of my tires, so I went to the TP location. After the initial inspection, the guy tells me that my tires are looking worn, and he recommended that I replace all four tires. I just laughed at him and explained the recent purchase.

100% true story.
jja79
AG
They don't earn commission so why would they do that? TP must just have bad management and horrible employees. Every Discount Tire I've ever dealt with has been stellar. Never been to TP but I'll avoid it.

Do they also charge for water and use of a debit card?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Heck if I know. I've always enjoyed my Discount Tire experience, and the TP location as well. Just thought that this guy was trying to pull something over on me.
milner79
Having posted a complaint about a local business several months ago with a "buyer beware" tone to it and having had it shut down by the moderators, I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long. Congratulations. I think it is a good public service.

[We have always allowed negative customer experiences to be posted on this forum as long as the poster gives some basic details about their experience. You started a thread and gave a bad review without giving any details about your experience which we do not allow. We gave detailed responses on two different posts explaining the edits and also put a link to another thread as example of a negative review thread that was allowed to stay on the board. -Staff]
oklaunion
I did discover yesterday that DT policy dictates they will not patch a tire that has been previously plugged, no matter the tread.
Post removed:
by user
cajunken
+1 for House of Tires
EBrazosAg
AG
Don't lump the Bryan location by Target into the CS location. Had two interactions with them this week, and bought last set of tires there. Prior two sets at the TP store. Bryan location so much better service. I'm sold on those guys.
BCStalk
Just wanted to state again that I had excellent service at the Bryan location. Had a flat on the 4th that I knew was not repairable. Salesman recommended that I replace both back tires since my front were still 7/32. Didn't try to sale me all 4 new tires. I already planned on buying 4 new tires before going since I wanted a little better tire. Didn't have an appointment but was in and out in under an hour.
halibut sinclair
The Bryan Discount Tire is the best around these parts.
Post removed:
by user
EBrazosAg
AG
Bryan Target Discount Tire is the bomb. WD Fitch not so much ...
Bryan Mayor Andrew Nelson
Agree House of Tires is the way to go. Bobby Gutierrez and his wife, Becky, are amazing and do a ton for our community.
Allonym
I see there are a few bad opinions of Discount Tire at Tower Point. My experience has been good there every time I go and have been going there since the day they opened to the public.

In particular I wanted to give a shout out to John, the manager, who helped me when a mistake was made with tires I purchased at a Kate store for my trailer while I was out of town on a trip.

I called for advice on how to get the issue resolved with the Katy store and not only did John help me out here at Tower point but he went above and beyond to correct the mistake made.

Overall I am very happy with the service I receive there and with this latest visit I could not imagine going anywhere else!
BCS-Ag
Holy ironic thread bump Batman! I read the entire thread of gripes only to then notice the 2 year bump was an over the top glowing review.

FWIW, I use House of Tires now because they are big community supporters, but Mike McAleese is a good guy if he is still the manager of Discount.

histag10
AG
I like Discount. But they got my tpms sensors mixed up when i last bought tires and they cant seem to figure out how to switch the tires so they are correct.

That and they always try to rip women off/upsell things. If I call and they tell me something ridiculous, I have my husband call about 20 minutes later. 9 times out of 10 he gets a different answer/price
TellMeMore
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.