TV Tech Help

1,853 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Esteban du Plantier
Crusader
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a senior adult who is not very tech-savvy and I need some advice.

We have had Suddenlink cable and internet since moving to CS over seven years ago. We are completely pleased with the internet service. However, Suddenlink's cable is where the problem lies.

When we have a problem, their customer "service" is almost non-existent. It is almost impossible to talk with a real person on the phone, and when they do, usually they don't know what to do. I have even had one rep lie to me. Anyway, we are finally getting rid of Suddenlink cable this week out of frustration.

Where I need help is this - what other alternatives are available to us? Specifically, we like to get KBTX locally, and Fox Business.

I've also heard that an antenna might solve our problem. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good antenna? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Sleepnumber
AG
Have you looked into either Dish or Direct TV? I've had no problems with Dish (other than very heavy rain).
BCStalk
I would seriously look at Dish. I unfortunately just canceled my service with them due to no HBO, but when it comes to customer service, they are beyond amazing. When you call them, they introduce themselves and state where they are located in the United States. You call Suddenlink and typically get someone on the other side of the world. I'm sad to leave Dish, but I like having HBO.
aggiemom89
Dish network has KBTX and FOXBusiness.We have had dish for over 10 years in Bryan and have had very few issues . When I called them I always get a person on the phone and have been able to Resolve any issues quickly. But I have rarely had to call them because we don't have many problems.
DisneyFan5
I too have been considering ditching cable.

Has anyone tried Youtube TV? It seems to have most of the channels that I usually watch.
JP76
I have this one and get ~14 channels from it in south Bryan

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Version-Outdoor-Amplified-Digital/dp/B017JEF126/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=viewtv+2018+version+outdoor+amplified+digital+hdtv+antenna&qid=1563247090&s=gateway&sprefix=view+tv+&sr=8-1

If you want to go streaming route then look at sling tv.

https://www.sling.com/channels?classification=us
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I just cut the cord from Suddenlink cable. Kept internet and bought some Roku sticks for the tvs and now use YouTube tv. Gets all the channels OP desires and is easy to figure out. I'm sorta old too and having no problems with the new setup and I am saving about $100 a month.

Just saw where Best Buy is having a sale on the Roku sticks I bought and would recommend. Link here.
trouble
AG
We've used YouTubeTV for the last year and really like it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I like Direct TV
Buck Laughlin
AG
I agree with the above on Roku and YouTube TV. It's not hard to set up and I think it's the best service right now.
histag10
AG
We "cut the cord" on suddenlink and use a fire stick with Hulu + Live. I really like it. It comes with 50 hours of DVR space, and has all local channels on it. Price is $45/ month I think. Still saving a crazy amount over what we were paying Suddenlink.

And the fire stick has Alexa & voice control, so that's nice.
Maveric
AG
I just switched to Youtube TV from Direct TV. You can get Amazon Fire Sticks from Prime Day at Amazon for $15 each.
snaglepuss
Maveric said:

I just switched to Youtube TV from Direct TV. You can get Amazon Fire Sticks from Prime Day at Amazon for $15 each.
Cheapest I saw is $25.
phatpat21
Highly recommend Youtube TV, we had it last summer until Suddenlink sweet talked me which I shouldn't have listened too
Cut Suddenlink cable a couple months ago, have just been using Amazon/Netflix and our HD Antenna
We pick up KBTX and Fox really well and the past couple weeks have been getting KAGS really good too. Only channel I can't get is ABC and it seems many people have that problem. Come football season, we will be using YouTube TV again
there were skittles in there!
Maveric
AG
snaglepuss said:

Maveric said:

Cheapest I saw is $25.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791TX5P5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the one I got.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

I too have been considering ditching cable.

Has anyone tried Youtube TV? It seems to have most of the channels that I usually watch.

YouTube tv is awesome and cheap.

Just make sure your internet plan has unlimited monthly data, because you'll blow through data pretty quickly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.