New CS City Hall

4,877 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Vox Humana
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Council decided last night to add some additional space to the new city hall about to be built (bringing the cost from $33 million to $38 million) rather than renovate the current police headquarters which was to be used as additional office space when the police move to their new space.

If it is not longer going to be used for those additional offices, anyone know what the plan is for the soon-to-be former police headquarters?

Images of new design of new city hall:

CS78
Gotta spend it somewhere. We'll show the new CAD and tax offices how we do it.
techno-ag
AG
BQ_90
AG
That's horrible looking
rsa
AG
Looks a lot like the Navasota city hall

BQ_90
AG
rsa said:

Looks a lot like the Navasota city hall

Most likely at 30x the cost
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is pretty similar to the police station design, no?
Prune Tracy
AggiePhil
AG
Original design looked better.
crbongos
AG
I agreeoriginal design was much better. New design already looks out of the 80's.
CRBongo
BQ_90
AG
Looks like a building in s model train set
Oogway
Do you suppose the architects were thinking of the early history of College Station when they designed it? If not, they may be playing that up now! I think it looks alright; hope they sell off some of the city owned land to help pay off the extra $$.
Rexter
Oogway said:

I think it looks alright; hope they sell off some of the city owned land to help pay off the extra $$.

Beaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha
wareagle044
Where will this be located?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Behind where current city hall is.
rsa
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Great, a hokey looking city hall surrounded by aging rent houses. A College Station architectural feast for the eyes!
cr272
Give me a hokey looking city hall that costs significantly less than a non-hokey one any day. Seems like a smart move to remove a useless atrium and fill the space with useful offices.
techno-ag
AG
cr272 said:

Give me a hokey looking city hall that costs significantly less than a non-hokey one any day. Seems like a smart move to remove a useless atrium and fill the space with useful offices.
Thank you for your service on the city council, BTW.
halibut sinclair
bcstx06
I kind of like it, but like some of you have mentioned the location is not the best. Wouldn't the new Midtown Development have been a better spot or no? Midtown could actually be College Stations Downtown with city hall at the center. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Charlotte, NC's Downtown called Uptown? So a downtown doesn't necessarily have to be called downtown. And I know I'm a little off topic but who else thinks College Station's Midtown should be renamed Uptown or something else to not be mixed up with Bryan's Midtown area???
techno-ag
AG
Absolutely CS should rename it, especially since Bryan had the name first.
cslifer
The city obviously doesn't have any say as to what a developer calls their project.
BCS-Ag
Wait, I thought they were selling the (really valuable) land on Texas to pay for the new city hall on land they already owned on krenek tap. What happened?
woodiewood1
It looks alright, but I would have liked to see a more modern looking building and not one that looks like it's from the 1970s-1980s.

As far as location goes, I think the location is fine. Concern over the location sounds like people will have to drive hours to get the city hall. Going from even as far as the south part of town will still only take perhaps another 10 minutes from "mid-town" Big deal.

They should sell the current police department property to commercial developers in order to get the property taxes to get the cost of the square footage addition. If not, another alternative is to create another park with green space..

woodiewood1
rsa said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Great, a hokey looking city hall surrounded by aging rent houses. A College Station architectural feast for the eyes!
The few blocks to the rear and right side are quickly being converted to new rental properties, renovated homes and expensive renovations on Walton and east. I bet most people work there or that go to city hall don't care that the area is residential.
PS3D
rsa said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Most of those houses are being remodeled or torn down. The house I lived in on Walton was torn down as soon as my landlady sold out and is now another "Aggie Shack" and five years ago, a multi-story apartment building was built right behind Chili's. In another five years, we'll probably see a major upgrade to the shopping center area at Walton and Texas Avenue.
TLIAC
AG
PS3D said:

rsa said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Most of those houses are being remodeled or torn down. The house I lived in on Walton was torn down as soon as my landlady sold out and is now another "Aggie Shack" and five years ago, a multi-story apartment building was built right behind Chili's. In another five years, we'll probably see a major upgrade to the shopping center area at Walton and Texas Avenue.
To add, they are using property that the city already owns. If they build in "mid-town" they would take tax producing property off the market. Honestly, who goes to city hall that often. The extra 10 minute drive isn't that big of a deal. They need a new building. The old one is in horrible shape.
australopithecus robustus
The location for the new city hall is appropriate for many reasons.

The midtown moniker is also appropriate as it is geographically correct.

Let's not try to overthink this.
duffelpud
AG
Oogway said:

Do you suppose the architects were thinking of the early history of College Station when they designed it? If not, they may be playing that up now! I think it looks alright; hope they sell off some of the city owned land to help pay off the extra $$.

This (perhaps).

It frankly looks like a train station with a birth defect.
"What's this button do?"
75AG
AG
What sort of birth defect?
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

Overspenditus.
duffelpud
AG
techno-ag said:

75AG said:

Overspenditus.

Nice.

I was thinking benign familial macrocephaly.
"What's this button do?"
UmustBKidding
Also remember that several of those lots behind chilli's they bought to ensure parking, but cocs said no way they need to be rundown substandard housing. So chilli's soldd them and boom new student housing with insufficient parking for even there residents much less their guests.
Builder93
AG
Why is anyone expecting COCS to do anything architecturally significant? CS has firmly set it's bar at mediocre.
Vox Humana
The City would be criticized if they renovated an old shopping center into a City Hall and/or if they did something architecturally significant. The struggle is to take limited resources and try to accomplish something that meets needs and minimizes criticism. Its called politics.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.