College Station 4th Largest Downtown in Texas

10,572 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by woodiewood1
ratfacemcdougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Campus has 65,000 students, and that's larger than downtown San Antonio, so every day of the week College Station has the fourth-largest downtown in the state of Texas," said Troy Rother, a traffic engineer with the City of College Station
91_Aggie
AG
There is no downtown in College Station.
histag10
AG
a bit misleading. There are 65K students across all of the TAMU campuses (Qatar, HSC, Galveston, and McAllen). I mean, not super misleading as there are roughly 60K on main campus, but misleading nonetheless.
91_Aggie
AG
Quote:

• College Station Campus: 64,126

source:
https://www.tamu.edu/about/at-a-glance.html
91_Aggie
AG
But all 64,000 are probably never on campus all at once on any given day.

With classes broken up into:
MWF
MW
TR

You'd be lucky to have 60% on campus at any one time
Fonzie Scheme
AG
91_Aggie said:

There is no downtown in College Station.

Truth. Despite the efforts of previous city councils.
ratfacemcdougal
Just regurgitating what was said. However, when you are talking to Washington about trying to get some federal money, you have to talk big with terms someone might listen to. We all know there is not a downtown, but Washington does not.
91_Aggie
AG
So, our government employees are atempting to get federal money by fudging the truth?
Big Country51
AG
Campus is funny looking downtown if you ask me
Stupe
S
Is campus as funny if you're looking uptown?
isitjustme
AG
I agree that CS doesn't have a classic downtown. But traffic engineers are concerned with traffic, and mostly concerned with traffic within, approaching, and away from the busiest center of activity in an area. Clearly, in CS that is TAMU and the areas surrounding TAMU. Plus, TAMU is the center of economic activity in CS, with all the employment and commerce in education services, restaurants, retail and sports tourism in the general TAMU area. And many/most of the employees/consumers coming from the non-TAMU areas of the community. That's very downtown-like in general, and for traffic engineers very similarly mimics any traditional downtown area.

BTW, I am not a traffic engineer but the above makes sense to me. And as many of you may have learned from other posts, I live in Bryan and we actually have a downtown, at least in a older, classic downtown sense.
histag10
AG
This is where I got my information (I think it was also sent out earlier this year):

Quote:

A total of 64,882 students are attending Texas A&M University for the spring 2019 semester, a record for spring enrollment. At the College Station main campus, enrollment for the spring totals 59,741 students, also a record.
A comprehensive view of Texas A&M enrollment is available on the Texas A&M Data and Research Services website.
The enrollment figures, which include students at the main campus in College Station, the branch campuses in Galveston and Doha, Qatar, the Health Science Center and other sites throughout the state, are those officially reported to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

https://today.tamu.edu/2019/02/21/texas-am-announces-spring-2019-enrollment/
doubledog
91_Aggie said:

MWF
MW
TR

Add to that the number of TAMU employees and you are well over 60K
bcstx06
Campus looks like a big downtown from Texas Ave. Northgate is kind of like a downtown. I would consider Century Square a downtown. Just put City Hall there and call it downtown.
ratfacemcdougal
Politicians never lie
Jinx
ratfacemcdougal said:

Politicians never lie
are traffic engineers appointed to some political position or are you inferring that all city workers are politicians?
isitjustme
AG
bcstx06 said:

Campus looks like a big downtown from Texas Ave. Northgate is kind of like a downtown. I would consider Century Square a downtown. Just put City Hall there and call it downtown.
City hall is already there. Across the street from campus on Texas Ave. Seems pretty close to me.
bcstx06
agrab86 said:

bcstx06 said:

City hall is already there. Across the street from campus on Texas Ave. Seems pretty close to me.

I meant put City Hall in Century Square.

On another note, if any of y'all are from Texas and are familiar the major cities (specifically Houston and Dallas), you know that they have multiple downtowns. Houston alone has Downtown, Midtown, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, Greens Point, The Woodlands, Westchase, And the list goes on. I know at least Downtown Houston and Uptown Houston aka the Galleria Area have more than 65k workers each.
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
halibut sinclair
bcstx06 said:

agrab86 said:

bcstx06 said:

On another note, if any of y'all are from Texas and are familiar the major cities (specifically Houston and Dallas), you know that they have multiple downtowns. Houston alone has Downtown, Midtown, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, Greens Point, The Woodlands, Westchase, And the list goes on. I know at least Downtown Houston and Uptown Houston aka the Galleria Area have more than 65k workers each.

No. A city has one downtown. Downtown Houston is downtown. The others you mentioned are neighborhoods, business districts, suburbs, etc.
woodiewood1
91_Aggie said:

MWF
MW
TR

Yes, but there about about 20,000 faculty and staff and visitors on campus most all on campus much of the time.
bcstx06
halibut sinclair said:

bcstx06 said:

agrab86 said:

bcstx06 said:

No. A city has one downtown. Downtown Houston is downtown. The others you mentioned are neighborhoods, business districts, suburbs, etc.

I meant to say business districts, but when you are typing on a phone and on the go, sometimes you just don't think it through.
halibut sinclair
bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

bcstx06 said:

agrab86 said:

bcstx06 said:

I meant to say business districts, but when you are typing on a phone and on the go, sometimes you just don't think it through.
Hmmm. Ok.
EBrazosAg
AG
First - the Petula Clark video is genius.

Second - some government agency employee saying that is just dumb and makes him and his agency look stupid. Anyone who has traveled the state knows that it's a manipulation of limited data, and not reflecting reality. Just make the argument for funding on facts everyone can agree on, not some silly manipulation of dubious facts altered by local peculiarities....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EMY92
AG
How about the Groundskeeper Willie version?

theNetSmith
AG
So, OP posts the above quote -- without context -- from a KBTX article about traffic congestion in B/CS, and it turns into a somewhat heated discussion about the fact that CS doesn't actually have a downtown... complete with bashing our city engineer, the source of the quote. Okay. Well done, people.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-Valley-2020-Where-were-going-well-still-need-roads-512256412.html

ETA: for those not interested in reading the article for the context, Troy Rother was comparing the most congested area in B/CS (roads/intersections surrounding campus) with the most congested areas in other cities (their "downtowns"). He wasn't saying the A&M campus is our downtown or appealing for federal funding. It's called analogy.
91_Aggie
AG
theNetSmith said:

So, OP posts the above quote -- without context -- from a KBTX article about traffic congestion in B/CS, and it turns into a somewhat heated discussion about the fact that CS doesn't actually have a downtown... complete with bashing our city engineer, the source of the quote. Okay. Well done, people.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-Valley-2020-Where-were-going-well-still-need-roads-512256412.html

ETA: for those not interested in reading the article for the context, Troy Rother was comparing the most congested area in B/CS (roads/intersections surrounding campus) with the most congested areas in other cities (their "downtowns"). He wasn't saying the A&M campus is our downtown or appealing for federal funding. It's called analogy.
The quote was:
Quote:

"Campus has 65,000 students, and that's larger than downtown San Antonio, so every day of the week College Station has the fourth-largest downtown in the state of Texas," said Troy Rother, a traffic engineer with the City of College Station.

that's not an analogy. That's outright saying "Texas A&M campus is the downtown of College Station"

ratfacemcdougal
I was NEVER bashing the city employee. The city employee was doing what he is told to do, study and analyze traffic counts. The city, any city, will then use what they can to get money from the feds. Washington is not just going to say, "Hey, College Station needs some money, let's send them some." There are people who's only job is to fill out requests for money from Washington, or for that matter, State government.
theNetSmith
AG
So you didn't read the article. Got it.
theNetSmith
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

I was NEVER bashing the city employee. The city employee was doing what he is told to do, study and analyze traffic counts. The city, any city, will then use what they can to get money from the feds. Washington is not just going to say, "Hey, College Station needs some money, let's send them some." There are people who's only job is to fill out requests for money from Washington, or for that matter, State government.
I was referring to EBrazosAg's comments:

Quote:

...some government agency employee saying that is just dumb and makes him and his agency look stupid.
isitjustme
AG
theNetSmith said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

I was referring to EBrazosAg's comments:

Quote:

...some government agency employee saying that is just dumb and makes him and his agency look stupid.

So, next time maybe respond to EBrzosAg's post Directly and others will know how broad a net you're casting. Just like you did in my quote of your post.
theNetSmith
AG
the net was necessarily broad, and rightly so. if you had read all of the contributions here, it would be plainly obvious who i was referring to when i referenced the character attack on our city engineer. are you all seriously this thick?
woodiewood1
theNetSmith said:

Some budding politicians on this thread. Taking a statement out of context and picking each word apart is an art.

Basically, he was saying at times the campus and its immediate area is a traffic cluster F... and is as bad as the larger cities downtown.
jja79
AG
Which isn't true at all.
theNetSmith
AG

Quote:

Basically, he was saying at times the campus and its immediate area is a traffic cluster F... and is as bad as the larger cities downtown.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.