College Station 4th Largest Downtown in Texas

10,575 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by woodiewood1
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I definitely read the article.

It was a badly written article as is normal for KBTX.

They quoted different people and some talked about the traffic issues.

If Troy had said "Texas A&M University has similar traffic patterns and population densities of other large city's downtown area" that would be an analogy.

Saying: "College Station has the 4th largest Downtown in Texas" is not an analogy.

Maybe English is tough for some people I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you are not a native speaker.
Eliminatus
AG
I've always thought that the "Downtown" area was largely appointed by the populace. As in not a bunch of engineers getting together and are like, " Let's build a downtown!". More of a community culture thing. A downtown becomes a downtown when enough people agree that a certain area is, downtown. i.e. "Let's go downtown for lunch." and everyone knows what you are talking about. CS doesn't have that. Not even close IMO.

Also, the school population discussion. I am just damn glad I got in when I did. For me it was TAMU or back to the workforce. I slipped through a crack somewhere and got in. Not on the first try either. Pretty sure if I applied today, an admissions worker would make the trip to my home in order to slap me personally.
theNetSmith
AG
what if Troy had said that the traffic in/around campus is analogous to that of a large city's downtown area? would that have been ok?

I wonder if the user known as Mr. Traffic still lurks around here.
jja79
AG
I think that would tell us Troy had never been to a big city downtown. That's a laughable comparison.
Builder93
AG
We can disagree on whether CS has a downtown, but I think we can all agree that CS does not have a color other than beige.
Tim Weaver
Lettuce remember that Mr. Rother is responsible for our so-very-well-timed traffic lights, AND the great stop light camera debacle of 2009.
Bryanisbest
AG
A&M has multiple national championships and CS has a downtown! Just say it and it becomes true.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Sorry I haven't weighed in earlier - vacation and work intruded.

The 4th largest downtown is my stat.

Houston and Dallas are about 150k employees and a few thousand residents.
Austin has about 125k from St Edwards North Campus down to Lady Bird Lake.
San Antonio and Ft Worth are each around 50,000 employees.
With 60,000-plus students and at least 12,000 faculty, staff and contract employees, I think its hard to not conclude we are 4th in the state.

Now, do we have the same loading pattern? No.
Are we as car-centric with our development pattern? No (About 40% of A&M students walk, bike, carpool or take the bus to campus).
Do we have lots of freeway lanes around our downtown? No.
The point is, we have the 15th largest metro area population in the state, but much bigger traffic challenges getting into our major activity center.
Check this out: https://bcsmpo.org/209/Leveraging-Local-Resources
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
And government workers still don't know why real workers are ashamed of them?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
agnerd
AG
Medical center in Houston has 100k. Energy Corridor has 94,000. Houston Galleria averages 110,000. If campus is considered a "downtown", you need to also consider the "other" downtowns in Houston and Dallas.
techno-ag
AG
A typical TexAgs argument over semantics. He meant "metro center." We knew what he meant.
woodiewood1
Gameday Traffic Guy said:

Sorry I haven't weighed in earlier - vacation and work intruded.

The 4th largest downtown is my stat.

Houston and Dallas are about 150k employees and a few thousand residents.
Austin has about 125k from St Edwards North Campus down to Lady Bird Lake.
San Antonio and Ft Worth are each around 50,000 employees.
With 60,000-plus students and at least 12,000 faculty, staff and contract employees, I think its hard to not conclude we are 4th in the state.

Now, do we have the same loading pattern? No.
Are we as car-centric with our development pattern? No (About 40% of A&M students walk, bike, carpool or take the bus to campus).
Do we have lots of freeway lanes around our downtown? No.
The point is, we have the 15th largest metro area population in the state, but much bigger traffic challenges getting into our major activity center.
Check this out: https://bcsmpo.org/209/Leveraging-Local-Resources
Most all those cities also have thousands and thousands of visitors to their downtown areas daily. I bet El Paso has 100,000 persons in their downtown area during peak times.

I agree with our traffic issues. This is why I don't understand why it was permitted to allow some of these apartment complexes to be built so close to the streets. The one on Wellborn in northgate area, the one on the corner of Univ and Texas Ave, and the one down Wellborn were the Goodwill store used to be are too close to the street to allow widening of the street on that building side.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.