Best Sushi in B/CS?

2,748 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggiePhil
ag009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read some older threads, but just wanted to get an updated recommendation for good sushi in town! Taking my husband for his birthday. He loves it but we don't eat it often. So not only yummy, but a place that is good at explaining options for us new sushi people.

Thanks!
HortAg09
AG
My 2 favorites are Aji Sushi and 40 Tempura.
isitjustme
AG
We like Aji and Imperial. Sure others are fine.
halibut sinclair
Imperial
Max06
AG
40 Tempura
AggieMom_38
There's a new Japanese place by the new HEB that is worth a try
nmf96
AG
Oishi (Jones Crossing)! Plus, a great sake selection too.
4lilmonkeys
40 Tempura.
saltydog13
AG
Oishi and then naked fish. It's not technically sushi (in a bowl instead of rolled), but Poke Bowl over on rock prairie is also fantastic. I can fill up with one bowl vs having to get multiple sushi rolls.
JM04
AG
They only have a few rolls, but Veritas would be a great birthday dinner. Sit at the bar!
AggieBarstool
Definitely Check Out:
  • Aji -- Simple, affordable, delicious. My favorite place.
  • Naked Fish -- More options, but the restaurant is usually crowded and loud.
  • 40 Tempura -- Go here if you want a more upscale dining experience; I feel you overpay for what you get.
  • Oishi -- Been once and thought it was good. Heard lots of great exp. from friends & coworkers.

Honorable Mention:
  • Kamei -- Has some unique creations, but they're too far away from me to make me think of them.
  • Yummi Yummi -- Haven't been here too often but they have some great specials that make the sushi affordable on certain nights of the week.

Would Not Eat:
  • Azure -- They're trying too hard to be "fusion" and their prices are ridiculous.
  • Imperial -- Eww. No. Stick with what you're good at -- Chinese food.
  • Atami -- Great hibachi. No-so-great sushi.
  • Joy Luck -- They're not well know for their sushi... for a reason.
BCS-Ag
I agree with barstools top picks above as they are regular stops for me. However hands-down the best sushi in town is made by Cheef Tai and team at Veritas. It is definitely special occasion level pricing, but the quality and creativity can't be beat. In addition to some great roll options and sashimi, You can tell the chef your preferences (i.e. spicy + salmon belly) and they will create something for you.
motherrunnersBCS
I like Kamai (excellent chawanmushi) and Azure (Azure hint: Sit at the bar, ignore all the weird rolls and eat the simple fish and rice. The chef there understands the rice/fish ratio and the correct texture and temperature for the rice).

Oishi at the bar is very nice, but the service is so slow. All the orders go in and out of a spot in the middle of the sushi bar. Hint, sit to the side unless you want people reaching past you constantly. I like to order my sushi a little at a time and quit when I am done, but this is hard to do at Oishi - you need to place your entire order at one time or you may never get it, since they are so busy they will forget about you. Maybe try very early or very late.

40 Tempura is very good, again the fish is treated correctly and cut at the right bias, and the sauces are kept to a minimum. Again, sit at the bar.
jrhmc
AG
40 Tempura, hands down
One Louder
AG
I don't know if Kamei recently changed hands but the last time I was in there (last week), I got my regular order (Kennedy roll) and it was not even close to the same quality as it was in the past.
RafterAg223
AG
Naked fish has a new owner and the quality has increased significantly since the ownership change. Solid sushi place for BCS
4lilmonkeys
That good to hear. My husband and I actually really liked meeting there for lunch during the week, especially for the price and quality. But we went a few months ago and were SO disappointed with the quality and service. Maybe we'll try it again.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Sushi is like fajitas: you have to try to see what works for you.
studioone
RafterAg223 said:

Naked fish has a new owner and the quality has increased significantly since the ownership change. Solid sushi place for BCS

Really? IMO they went down in quality... dramatically...

jskin261
Poke Stop on RP is currently on the top of my list. The protein quality and add-ins are excellent.
AggiePhil
AG
Tried Oishi for the first time yesterday. Wasn't impressed. For years now, 40 Tempura has set the bar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.