ISO Antique Singer Sewing Machine - belonged to my grandmother

3,564 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JP76
lovesdogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Posting here and in classifieds as this is a long shot lost & found that started in Bryan and may have branched out through the years. I'm looking for my grandmother's antique treadle Singer sewing machine. Many years ago, in the early 80s, life took a turn and I was faced with moving, in a tiny car. I was forced to leave some things behind, a lot of which were family heirlooms. The least valuable, but the most precious to me, was my grandmother's treadle sewing machine - brown wood cabinet, two drawers on each side, a center drawer that dropped forward to open, overall fair to good condition. I know it's a long shot, but if it can be found, I'd love to have it back. I learn to sew on that machine when I was five and when it became mine, I kept it for years. Not too many things have been as important to me as that machine, but I didn't have a choice in leaving it behind. I would recognize it if I saw it again and would be willing to purchase it at a fair price if found. two one zero, 632, 2488. Any leads would be appreciated.
techno-ag
AG
Keep an eye out at Corner of Time antique mall and places like that. They might come across one similar to what you are looking for. You can leave your name and number/email at the front desk, and they'll contact you if an old sewing machine comes in.
studioone
are you looking for the specific one you left behind or just a similar one?

how did you leave the first one? just left it in your house and walked away or did you leave it on the side of the curb or did you do something with it?

odds are it's gone.. they're very very common antiques and not a lot of people use them anymore...
trouble
AG
And then some of us just collect them
lovesdogs
Thank you for the information on Corner to Time, I'll contact them or even take a day to drive there (I don't live in the area) and visit with them. I would love to know of any other vintage and antique shops in the B/CS and surrounding area, past and present. Anything would be a help and a lead to finding it.
lovesdogs
I'm looking for the specific one that belonged to my grandmother. I realize it's a long shot, but not trying is definite for not ever seeing it again.

I was moving to Lubbock, TX where I had a job that would enable me to continue my education. I was limited on money and could only take what would fit in my car. I left some things behind, my grandmother's sewing machine being one of them. The guy I left it with turned out to be not so honest, he sold it all and I never heard from him again. I only want the sewing machine for sentimental reasons and I'm willing to buy it back, no questions ask.
lovesdogs
Hopefully it did fall into the hands of a collector, and they would be willing to part with it. That would be a blessing.
oklaunion
Yeah, you are probably right. I apologize.
UglyScientist
About 5-6 years ago I worked for the SEAD Gallery in downtown Bryan. I have a vague memory of them having an old sewing machine that opened like you described. No idea where they got it and I can't remember the brand, but I think the machine itself was black and the cabinet brown. May try contacting them?
Muzzleblast

These pictures are not the actual machine but this is what she's looking for.

UglyScientist
In that case disregard my post. The one I mentioned looked different.
rc_cat
I have my great-grandmother's machine and I don't think the machine is nearly that fancy - so there definitely are variations on the design.
geefive
I have one similar to what you are describing that I bought in Bryan in the early 80's. Is there anything in particular that I should look for to see if this is your grandmothers?
Belton Ag
AG
geefive said:

I have one similar to what you are describing that I bought in Bryan in the early 80's. Is there anything in particular that I should look for to see if this is your grandmothers?
Watchlisted.
woodiewood1
I, and many others, visit antique dealers and fairs regularly.

Are there markings on the machine or table that we could look for if we see one?
JP76
Lovesdogs

I have a lead for you

Email me at

jpp_76@hotmail.com

Anyone who can post a picture to this thread, email me and I will send you the picture to post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.