Frontier Internet?

2,990 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UmustBKidding
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have Frontier for their Internet? If so, how good/reliable is it? Looking at switching from Suddenlink and going with Frontier Internet/Directv
Thanks!
91_Aggie
AG
Frontier was verizon before verizon sold off dsl business. It was horrible over 2-3 years ago when i switched to suddenlink. Never got close to the speed it was supposed to be, only 6mb/s are so. And constantly lost connection. Had to reset router and dsl "modem" several times a week.

People like to bad mouth suddenlink, but its been awesome for me.

I doubt fronter has gotten better because they have to be on the downslope of their life.

You will probably hate it
BrandoC
AG
People badmouth Suddenlink because they are extremely overpriced (mainly based on cable), a monopoly over any other cable company trying to enter the market here, and absolute dog**** customer service.
phatpat21
Well crap that's not what i wanted to hear lol
Thank you for being honest!
Waiting to see if anyone has better luck but based off that I'm probably not going to now but we'll see
there were skittles in there!
91_Aggie
AG
BrandoC said:

People badmouth Suddenlink because they are extremely overpriced (mainly based on cable), a monopoly over any other cable company trying to enter the market here, and absolute dog**** customer service.
Thanks for posting obvious stuff.. .not sure it was needed.
befitter
It's horrible
Lone Stranger
In my experience once the intro teaser rates are over the Frontier internet is about the same price for much lower speed as Suddenlink with all the accompanying reliability issues and even worse customer service.
Abbyag06
I have had Frontier for 9 years and hate it. I wish I could get Suddenlink. My parents have it and it is amazing. I have never gotten over 7 download. I would not recommend switching.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

People badmouth Suddenlink because they are extremely overpriced (mainly based on cable)
I am thinking about switching from Dish back to cable because I can get a better price on the channels I actually want to watch ... and get HBO again without having to stream.

Plus I get to watch TV during rainstorms.
CS78
I have frontier and my reliability has been great. Much better than suddenlink. Price paid for the speed isn't great but I've stuck with it due to the reliability.
91_Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

I have frontier and my reliability has been great. Much better than suddenlink. Price paid for the speed isn't great but I've stuck with it due to the reliability.
I had the exact diametrical opposite experience and I'm a computer nerd for 43 years.

DSL is slow 6MBs, although I do see a 25MBs plan on their website, but i never got close the 6MB speed they promised.
And constant failures, lock-ups, having to power cycle all the equipment multiple times a week.

I suppose if you were really old and only used it to browse the web it might be okay.
BetsyParker
AG
We have Frontier DSL (have had it for 15+ years, so back when it was Verizon too). It has fit our needs just fine. Knocking on wood, but we have had very few issues. We cut Dish a couple of years ago, so we are over-the-air or streaming and we have little issue with streaming. That said, we don't have 3 people trying to stream at one time or anything. If I need to do something on the internet, I sometimes have to ask a child to "pause the show" so I can do what I need to do. In our house, it is usually working on the computer or streaming because that is how we function as a family, so the speed hasn't been an issue for us, but it might be for someone else.
labmansid
I can't get Suddenlink at our location. I'm using CEO for wireless broadband. It's not bad, but expensive for what you get, but just about the only option. I found out about 18 months ago that Frontier was an option. I called them up and told them I only wanted internet, since I have been a long time DISH customer for TV and no need for a land phone line. It would have been cheaper, and faster speed. We set up an install appointment.

The install tech came out and started the job. As he was starting to wrap up, he happened to mention how I would be getting 3Mbps tops download speed. I told him, "Hello, I was promised at least 12 down.". He then tried to tell me that I needed to call their office and straighten things out. I told him no, YOU need to call your office and straighten things out.

Long story short, I never got the speed I was promised. On top of that, without my consent or prior knowledge, they secretly tried to add some BS virus protection package and who knows what all to my service. It was going to amount to 150-200$ a month just for crappy internet! I quickly put a stop to that and told them to shove it, after some heated exchanges and adjustments to my bill.

Bottom line, I would NEVER recommend Frontier for any kind of service. They outright lie out their butts just to get you to sign up, and pad their bill with useless crap you never agreed to. Customer service is awful on top of things. Just my experience and advice.
BetsyParker
AG
Yikes! We pay $80 a month and that includes a landline (which we're good with because we have people at home who don't have a cell and need to be able to call in an emergency). I know it is germane to the conversation, but I really have no idea what our speeds are...I just know they are enough for what we do. Frontier did recently add a $5 charge for "the cost of burying the lines" - I assume this corresponds to the signs I see on telephone poles on Villa Maria.
samsal75
AG
Frontier was the worse starting shortly after they bought out Verizon. Took a couple of years but once I had access to viable alternative, I switched!! Now using Brazos WiFi and completely satisfied.
DTP02
AG
I'm about to kick Frontier to the curb. Reliability isn't good and speeds are worse.

I guess my options are Suddenlink, Brazos WiFi and CEO? Is that it?

I don't know anyone who has the latter two.
labmansid
I have had Brazos Wifi at a previous house. Can't recommend them enough. They have a great service and will take care of you.
I have CEO now, and they are pretty good. I can probably only count on one hand the number of outages we have had in two and a half years. Only once or so was service out for more than a few hours.
saltydog13
AG
Bumping this thread to see if anyone near Snook has frontier. Their website shows my address is good for up to 45mb/s. Currently have Rise and have been lucky to get even 10mb download speeds. In the evenings it's been hovering around 1-3 the past month or so even though I pay for 20mb. Would love to get brazos Wifi, but not in their territory
UmustBKidding
I don't know about snook proper but frontier good federal calf2 money and built stuff north of lake Somerville as in theory had fast internet and video. Know spent some on other spots like wellborn and maybe snook. But should read otr mobile thread on nerdery forum think tfunk2 ditched his rise connection in snook and using otr now
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.