CSISD Teachers get Shaft again

10,729 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fleen
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I said above, it is what it is...

We love where we are, we love what we have. You want any input, let meet know. (Have you looked in Bryan?)
TXAGBQ76
AG
I am still trying to understand op's premise CS teachers got the shaft again.
Hittag1492
AG
Just to compare Bryan ISD and CSISD:

Bryan ISD
Bryan, TX
Accountability rating
C
Total students
Avg. teacher experience
8.8 years
Statewide: 10.9 years
Four-year graduation rate
85.1 %
Statewide: 89.7%
Bryan ISD is a school district in Bryan, TX. As of the 2017-2018 school year, it had 16,157 students. The school received an accountability rating of C. 72.1% of students were considered at risk of dropping out of school. 24.4% of students were enrolled in bilingual and English language learning programs.
An average teacher's salary was $46,999, which is $6,335 less than the state average. On average, teachers had 8.8 years of experience. The average SAT score at Bryan ISD was 1013. The average ACT score was 20.4. In the Class of 2017, 85.1% of students received their high school diplomas on time or earlier. The dropout rate was 2.8%.

VS

College Station ISD
College Station, TX
Accountability rating
B
Total students
Avg. teacher experience
13.4 years
Statewide: 10.9 years
Four-year graduation rate
94.2 %
Statewide: 89.7%
College Station ISD is a school district in College Station, TX. As of the 2017-2018 school year, it had 13,508 students. The school received an accountability rating of B. 28.3% of students were considered at risk of dropping out of school. 11.5% of students were enrolled in bilingual and English language learning programs.
An average teacher's salary was $50,061, which is $3,273 less than the state average. On average, teachers had 13.4 years of experience. The average SAT score at College Station ISD was 1158. The average ACT score was 24.3. In the Class of 2017, 94.2% of students received their high school diplomas on time or earlier. The dropout rate was 0.8%.

ag50
AG
Bryan ISD was only mentioned to show that districts are not sitting still, Bryan listed raises from $1500 - $9000, CSISD listed raises of $2500-2800. Compare CSISD to the 5A school districts we compete against academically and athletically and ask yourself if you want your children's teacher to be below state averages. Word is Health Insurance Premiums are coming out July 1 and CSISD is going up for the 5th year in a row while the employer contribution has stayed the same since 2014. This means teachers take home pay goes down each year. The numbers you quote are for the 2017-18 school year, my point is things are not going in a positive direction and by the time you get the state numbers to back this up, your child's education might suffer.
ag50
AG
2017-18 Accountability rating B, where was it 5 years ago?

Charter Schools don't usually open up in healthy school districts.
cslifer
Serious question, if the pay is so bad and benefits so much worse why don't you go work in Bryan? You are obviously very disgruntled, maybe the change would be good for you.
I do have to agree with you, the quality of teachers has gone down. We never used to have any that would get on the internet and openly bash their colleagues. Hopefully that kind of behavior isn't being taught to the students.
thann07
AG
I grew up in CS and she had bad experiences during college when she went to observe Bryan classroomsthere's a lot of momentum to overcome to think about Bryan.

As I said, we're looking forward to the move. We got 1-2 years before the change gets locked in, but I know we should start networking now. She had to sub for a year when we first moved to Katy, and while it was great experience and great to network, we hope we don't need to do that again to get her back in.
etmydst
AG

Quote:

Bryan listed raises from $1500 - $9000

Where did you get these numbers from? Was it from this article?
Stupe
S
cslifer said:

Serious question, if the pay is so bad and benefits so much worse why don't you go work in Bryan? You are obviously very disgruntled, maybe the change would be good for you.
I do have to agree with you, the quality of teachers has gone down. We never used to have any that would get on the internet and openly bash their colleagues. Hopefully that kind of behavior isn't being taught to the students.
Now I know why I heard the Twilight Zone music when I woke up this morning.

cslifer made a post that I completely agree with.

I would have just added what I put in bold and italics.
Quote:

Serious question, if the pay is so bad and benefits so much worse why don't you go work in Bryan? Or anywhere else that you think is better.
gibby03
AG
etmydst said:

Quote:

Bryan listed raises from $1500 - $9000

Where did you get these numbers from? Was it from this article?
Bryan ISD Teacher Salary

[url=https://4.files.edl.io/fe7a/06/17/19/202252-58d2b563-554f-477c-a8af-711a48ca020c.pdf][/url]
Fleen
My "looking in Bryan" was more about your home search. (It's where we live.)
thann07
AG
We will want our future kids to be in CSISD (unless I'm missing the boat on some rule that allows transfer).
Fleen
If you work in CSISD your kid can go the school of your choice...
thann07
AG
Fleen said:

That's awesome to know. Is that outlined in any specific policy manual?

Obviously, we have huge decisions ahead and I'd want to do my due diligence. There's also the part where we're still 8-9 years away, and then those conditions would need to hold for 12-13 years after starting....
AggieMom_38
Fleen said:

I don't think this is fully accurate based on a friend that teaches in CSISD but lives in Bryan. Unless something has changed in recent years (I readily admit I don't know this first-hand)... if you live in Bryan, your children can attend CSISD but not guaranteed which school - would depend on capacity. So, for example, CSHS would likely be off the table. If you live in CS, then you get the choice (at least for now -- there has been some discussion about that being restricted to some extent).
gibby03
AG
Close friends of mine have both parents working in both BISD and CSISD, they can send their kids to any school in either district they choose. According to them they have to submit a "transfer" document within the district they choose and while it CAN happen that a school is full an the district can deny, the chances of that is slim.
Turf96
Honest question do these students SES standing figure in to the all important balance numbers? It seems as this board is very worried about having everybody have the same number of apples and oranges. At least that was one of the reasons stated over and over that forced their hand in last high school rezone. I also believe that as to my knowledge that number was a very fluid target( as it moved as needed) as to what equaled equal. If outside school district kids are allowed in(and I have no issue with that) their SES numbers and spot should never cause another student to be rezoned.
gibby03
AG
That I don't know. If that question was directed at me. My guess? No, it has no bearing at all on it.
Fleen
gibby03 said:

Close friends of mine have both parents working in both BISD and CSISD, they can send their kids to any school in either district they choose. According to them they have to submit a "transfer" document within the district they choose and while it CAN happen that a school is full an the district can deny, the chances of that is slim.

This.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.