Internet service in Rural Bryan

2,435 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jefe07
Ajollyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Building a house in the steep hollow area soon. Unfortunately, suddenlink doesnt offer internet service out there. Seems most people use Rise Broadband. Anyone know the best ISP for the 77808 zip code? I think only rise broadband, frontier, hughesnet, and brazoswifi are available.

I work from home so its pretty important I get the fastest most reliable signal.
histag10
AG
I hear Brazos Wifi is the way to go. We are moving to 77808 zip code as well, and they dont service our address. I think Suddenlink might though (though i would have preferred Brazos Wifi)
JP76
Talk to the neighbors and see what they are using. Jim is great at brazos wifi but you have to have a clean Line of sight or install a tall tower sometimes to use them. Rise is hit or miss. They are usually broadcasting from taller structures but you still need a clear LOS to function properly. You can also see if frontier offers DSL on your area.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
I've had surprisingly good service from Rise Broadband.
Vae Victis
saltydog13
AG
Rise is hit or miss. I could have speeds of 40-50 down and 15-20 up, but then the tower could be overloaded at peak times and it'll be 12 down and 12 up or something. I wold go Brazos WiFi if I had to choose between the two.
AgProgrammer
AG
If Suddenlink isn't available, I'd definitely try to get Brazos Wifi...even if that means having to install a tower. We have their service out on Highway 30 and it's very reliable. The 30/10 plan for $108 always gets those speeds without question.
Ajollyag
$108 for 30/10 sounds extremely high. Good grief.
BMo
ajolly said:

Building a house in the steep hollow area soon. Unfortunately, suddenlink doesnt offer internet service out there. Seems most people use Rise Broadband. Anyone know the best ISP for the 77808 zip code? I think only rise broadband, frontier, hughesnet, and brazoswifi are available.

I work from home so its pretty important I get the fastest most reliable signal.
Email Brazos Wifi where you can give specifics about location of your build to get more accurate info. You may be surprised.
BrazosWifi
ajolly said:

$108 for 30/10 sounds extremely high. Good grief.

Where we have fiber optic to the home deployed, we are doing 1gbps for $99. The difference is the delivery costs.

The costs and challenges to deliver reliable internet miles from any wired infrastructure are quite significant. Add in the fact that our packages don't have data caps and the price is fair.

The average household uses 6-10mbps most days and somewhere around 600GB a month. There isn't another rural provider in our area that reliably delivers bandwidth like we do. That quality comes at a cost.

All that said, we would love to have the opportunity to meet (and exceed) your rural internet needs.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
saltydog13
AG
There's discounts for paying ahead. If you pay for the entire year, that $108 a month turns to about $75-80 a month
BrazosWifi
saltydog13 said:

There's discounts for paying ahead. If you pay for the entire year, that $108 a month turns to about $75-80 a month
Great point. We have about 20% of our customer base on the annual plan.

Also, we don't add any additional BS fees like most providers. The price quoted is what you pay (plus sales tax).
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
tfunk02
AG
If you are adventurous, check out this thread...

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3026369

Rise was all I could get at my place between Snook and the Airport. It was a terrible connection (customer service was actually great for me).

I started down the LTE road and now have been getting download speeds of over 120Mbps and uploads in the 40's. I would say it averages about 80/30, and I have a direct line of site to multiple towers.

saltydog13
AG
tfunk02 said:

Rise was all I could get at my place between Snook and the Airport. It was a terrible connection (customer service was actually great for me).

I started down the LTE road and now have been getting download speeds of over 120Mbps and uploads in the 40's. I would say it averages about 80/30, and I have a direct line of site to multiple towers.

Is that through at&t towers and such? Data Limits? We're 1/4 mile from an at&t tower so just curious
tfunk02
AG
Yes, it is through AT&T service using a 3rd party provider. There is some risk that AT&T will revoke their service, but at this time it is unlimited and no network management. I would read as much of that thread as you can if you are interested.

Here is my data use lately...
nthomas99
AG
ajolly said:

Of the ones you mentioned, you really just want to choose BrazosWifi and be done with it. I've had them for over 2 years. After making sure the service worked as advertised paying monthly, I started paying annually to get the discount some have mentioned. It's as solid / more solid than suddenlink was when I lived in College Station, and the speed though not as high as elsewhere is enough as you actually get the bandwidth (I test frequently and always at or very close to the advertised rates).
Ajollyag
Id like to do brazos wife but last i checked they hadnt done any fiber out where we are. Moving to the green branch ridge area. You would think with the little subdivision there that would be a priority for them.
Ajollyag
tfunk02 said:

I was reading that thread yesterday, it seemed like a lot of people were just getting 20 mbps or less. Why are you getting so much more than the people on there? What modem are you using? And have you had any luck with verizon? Planning to switch from att to verizon because att's coverage out where I am moving is terrible
taxpreparer
AG
Brazos wifi for the win, if available. We have then in Enchanted Oaks. The only issue we have is our signal comes from King Oaks and we have to rely on both BTU and Navasota Electric not being down.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
tfunk02
AG
ajolly said:

tfunk02 said:

I was reading that thread yesterday, it seemed like a lot of people were just getting 20 mbps or less. Why are you getting so much more than the people on there? What modem are you using? And have you had any luck with verizon? Planning to switch from att to verizon because att's coverage out where I am moving is terrible
I have direct line of site with antennas on my roof, and I'm lucky enough that the tower in Snook has advanced LTE (new in the last couple of weeks). Being on the top of a hill, I can see 5+ towers, but the WISPs all had too much interference for a decent signal. Somehow the LTE works well. With Verizon, I'm between 30 to 40 Mbps and have latency in the 20-25ms range. My modem is the top of the line Cradlepoint (850-1200M), but I think the 2x2 Mimo Cradlepoint from LTEFix should get the same speeds as mine. Mine is more future proofed for if any towers get over 500Mbp+.

You should get what your phone gets, and can get more with high gain antennas. It's good to test with a phone on the service to know what your baseline should be.

All that said, it would have been a lot easier to just get Brazos Wifi and be done with it. They couldn't get a signal strong enough for me and I wanted more than Rise so I found a rabbit hole that took a lot of tinkering and money to figure out what worked best. I've justified the cost in my head because it's way cheaper than a tower, and that would have been my last hope if this didn't work.
Ajollyag
tfunk02 said:

ajolly said:

tfunk02 said:

I have direct line of site with antennas on my roof, and I'm lucky enough that the tower in Snook has advanced LTE (new in the last couple of weeks). Being on the top of a hill, I can see 5+ towers, but the WISPs all had too much interference for a decent signal. Somehow the LTE works well. With Verizon, I'm between 30 to 40 Mbps and have latency in the 20-25ms range. My modem is the top of the line Cradlepoint (850-1200M), but I think the 2x2 Mimo Cradlepoint from LTEFix should get the same speeds as mine. Mine is more future proofed for if any towers get over 500Mbp+.

You should get what your phone gets, and can get more with high gain antennas. It's good to test with a phone on the service to know what your baseline should be.

All that said, it would have been a lot easier to just get Brazos Wifi and be done with it. They couldn't get a signal strong enough for me and I wanted more than Rise so I found a rabbit hole that took a lot of tinkering and money to figure out what worked best. I've justified the cost in my head because it's way cheaper than a tower, and that would have been my last hope if this didn't work.
So do you use OTR Mobile for your internet or AT&T? Little confused. OTR Mobile is the internet provider right?
BrazosWifi
ajolly said:

Id like to do brazos wife but last i checked they hadnt done any fiber out where we are. Moving to the green branch ridge area. You would think with the little subdivision there that would be a priority for them.
Our fiber is just down the road at Heritage Lakes. We are waiting on a few projects to wrap up before heading towards Greenbranch Loop.
buffalo chip
S
NM
tfunk02
AG
I bought a sim and service through OTR Mobile. OTR Mobile uses the AT&T network for their service. Basically, it is AT&T without restrictions, but I pay someone else who pays AT&T. The downside to that is there's no telling if someday AT&T will revoke OTR's ability to get service through them. AT&T does not currently offer truly unlimited plans like OTR is offering.
JP76
BrazosWifi said:

ajolly said:

Our fiber is just down the road at Heritage Lakes. We are waiting on a few projects to wrap up before heading towards Greenbranch Loop.

How close is your fiber to forest lakes ?
BrazosWifi
JP76 said:

BrazosWifi said:

ajolly said:

How close is your fiber to forest lakes ?
There's quite a bit of roadway to go down to get there but we just bought some more equipment so things should go faster in the future.

It was slow going for some time. I am excited about the future of internet delivery in the Brazos Valley.
Jefe07
AG
I generally get about 25 mbps with 45 ms latency or so.

I think I tested 2 windows for placing my modem, was happy with what I got and I've left it be ever since. There might could be some improvement, but I've never felt the need.

That being said, I've never gotten anywhere close to tfunk's screenshot.

Grimes County.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.