Internet outage - Suddenlink / Altice

4,415 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sweet Kitten Feet
Post removed:
by user
dachicken89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Out here in castle rock too. I hate suddenlink.
dachicken89
AG
Also having issues with ATT cell connection. Low to none. Very intermittent.
rc_cat
Down in Raintree - and all of the cable channels I've checked are unavailable.
Oogway
Midtown is good.
dachicken89
AG
It's back. But I'm not holding my breath.
The Brazos Kid
Down in Springbrook
BCSMom
Down in Raintree and Verizon has been spotty.
91_Aggie
AG
Down in Shenandoah.
However, for all the "I hate Suddenlink" people, this is the first outage I've had with Suddenlink since switch from VerizonFrontier DSL over 2 years ago.

I think the problem is that so many people think the "interwebz" is just something that will always be available like oxygen.

Their expectations are so "out-of-whack" that any outage is just completely unforgivable and should never happen. Like the Target register outage this weekend.

don't be those people... no one likes those people.
Post removed:
by user
jagouar1
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Some of us work remotely, and the interwebz is how we keep our corporate overlords happy. I'm not "those people", just need to work on something other than my phone.
If it's really that important to you then you should have a business line from them that has a proper SLA. It may not have mattered too much in this case since the outages are so widespread but those business accounts are also the first ones that come back up due to the SLA.
rsa
AG
No issues in Carter's Grove area
histag10
AG
91_Aggie said:

Down in Shenandoah.
However, for all the "I hate Suddenlink" people, this is the first outage I've had with Suddenlink since switch from VerizonFrontier DSL over 2 years ago.

I think the problem is that so many people think the "interwebz" is just something that will always be available like oxygen.

Their expectations are so "out-of-whack" that any outage is just completely unforgivable and should never happen. Like the Target register outage this weekend.

don't be those people... no one likes those people.

I'd say you are probably among a select few. My internet and or cable go down typically at least once every 2 months with Suddenlink. It's been fun..
histag10
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Some of us work remotely, and the interwebz is how we keep our corporate overlords happy. I'm not "those people", just need to work on something other than my phone.

use your phone as a hotspot to run your computer off of. That's what I do when suddenlink goes down.
AgProgrammer
AG
No problems out here in Anderson. Thanks Brazos Wifi!
dachicken89
AG
I was on a sales team conference call (VOIP) when today's outage hit. This was my second time this month... 2 weeks ago i was without internet for 2 days. Suddenlink came out to my house to 'fix' the line two days later - they never buried the the original line that was lying exposed on the top of my yard by the fenceline and was eventually damaged by my yard guys. They still proceeded to charge me a $65 service call.

I did use my cell phone for those two days as a hotspot and proceeded to jack up my ATT data usage that costs me $15 twice. So that's $95 on top of a high cost for monthly internet service (comparative to cities like Houston and Austin). And my company does not pay for internet or cell phone for those of us teleworkers. Our lovely finance team determined that those are two items that employees would have anyway and do not reimburse or provide for us.

You don't have to like me... i'm one of 'those people' today.

samsal75
AG
Brazos WiFi here. No problems at all!
momtaxi
maybe the storm from last night may have had something to do with the outage that's happening right now....NAH it's just suddenlink with there bad service. That's it! SMH
BCStalk
Just about every post you have made here has been defending Suddenlink. I've been a Suddenlink/Cox/Altice customer for over 15 years and have never gotten good service. Since you have some kind of stake in Suddenlink, how about you explain why this is what I get on every device regardless of on WiFi or hardwired. Maybe I should have a 4th technician come out and not fix the issue.

ETA that this is on a gigabit connection, so I will be that guy.
bushytailed
AG
Frontier internet restored at 4am when the electricity came back on.
momtaxi
BCStalk said:

Just about every post you have made here has been defending Suddenlink. I've been a Suddenlink/Cox/Altice customer for over 15 years and have never gotten good service. Since you have some kind of stake in Suddenlink, how about you explain why this is what I get on every device regardless of on WiFi or hardwired. Maybe I should have a 4th technician come out and not fix the issue.

First off, my comment wasn't in defense of them nor do I have a stake in them it was just common sense.
My husband has been in working in cable for 20 years in some form or fashion (no he does not work for them). I have heard all the whiny complaints from some of the people he's had to go to. 85% of the problems are customer owned lines or equipment. Did you know that Suddenlink or any other cable company does not own any of the lines in your house? YOU DO! That's why you get charged for it when they come to your house. They only own the lines up to the tap that your house ties into and maybe equipment if your renting it from them. So, if there's good signal going to that. Then the problem likely has something to do with either the lines or equipment in your house. A simple google search will tell you how to diagnose any issues that you are having. It easy and FREE!
Also, if you have a "new" or "the latest and greatest" modem or router doesn't mean squat. We've pulled them out of the packaging and they didn't work. Also, as far as your "gigabit" speed, yeah good luck with that. Not many electronics on the market even get that speed whether it advertises that
BCStalk
Yeah I'm not buying that but good try though.
momtaxi
you Asked and I answered. Believe it or not but that's the cold hard truth. Either live with it or continue cursing suddenlink for no reason the choice is yours
BCStalk
Can you get me a discount.
AggieBarstool
momtaxi said:

BCStalk said:

First off, my comment wasn't in defense of them nor do I have a stake in them it was just common sense.
My husband has been in working in cable for 20 years in some form or fashion (no he does not work for them). I have heard all the whiny complaints from some of the people he's had to go to. 85% of the problems are customer owned lines or equipment. Did you know that Suddenlink or any other cable company does not own any of the lines in your house? YOU DO! That's why you get charged for it when they come to your house. They only own the lines up to the tap that your house ties into and maybe equipment if your renting it from them. So, if there's good signal going to that. Then the problem likely has something to do with either the lines or equipment in your house. A simple google search will tell you how to diagnose any issues that you are having. It easy and FREE!
Also, if you have a "new" or "the latest and greatest" modem or router doesn't mean squat. We've pulled them out of the packaging and they didn't work. Also, as far as your "gigabit" speed, yeah good luck with that. Not many electronics on the market even get that speed whether it advertises that
Right there with you. I've had Cox/Suddenlink/Altice for almost 20 years and I can probably count on a single hand how many times I've been unhappy with Suddenlink's availability and customer service in the area.

Hell, there was one instance where we had a particularly bad storm in town that damaged some of their gear near the apartment I lived in. That was around 7-8pm. By 10pm, they had a dude on a pole fixing said equipment. He even fell off, injured himself, and got back on to finish the job! (The guy was okay.)

Bottom line, the problems are never as easy/straightfoward as we make them seem. There's nuance, and as momtaxi said, there's parts they own and part of it is the owner's responsibility.
BCStalk
I paid for 2 visits and supplies to fix my issue that was on my end. They paid for the third visit and still never fixed the issue. From our box to our modem is brand new and installed by a Suddenlink contractor on my dime that had to be fixed by a Suddenlink employee, which I don't mind since it's my property. My problem is that after three service calls, I still can't get above 30mbps. For a service that costs $100 a month, I would appreciate better.
Post removed:
by user
BCStalk
They refurbished our box and I don't believe I have any splitters on Suddenlink's end. They are only on our modem. They also ran a new line to the modem and replaced the wall plate and plug. I purchased a new modem directly from them and am running a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. If the problem was on my end it has been addressed.
JP76
BCStalk said:

They refurbished our box and I don't believe I have any splitters on Suddenlink's end. They are only on our modem. They also ran a new line to the modem and replaced the wall plate and plug. I purchased a new modem directly from them and am running a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. If the problem was on my end it has been addressed.

Is that your speed over wifi ?
Or the speed over hard wired Ethernet cable ?

What modem are you running ?

If I were you I would take the modem and an extension cord outside

Plug the main line coming into the house directly into your modem bypassing all splitters

Then Speedtest your connection both wifi and hard wired.

Fwiw I have seen led lights cause major slowdowns as well as wireless keyboard/mice issues when placed to close to routers

Also unless it has changed I would take your modem to another suddenlink customer that has internet service and see what your speeds are at their house to rule out the modem itself.

I'm no IT guy but your jitter and packet loss is a lot higher than mine on Speedtest. Maybe some gurus will chime in.

My modem is netgear R7000 as well

For 100mb service my download on college station suddenlink server over wifi is

94.8 mbps
Ping 10ms
Jitter is 3.9 ms
Loss is 0

Switching to Georgetown suddenlink server like you are using my results over wifi are

102 mbps
Ping 12 ms
Jitter 2.3 ma
loss 0
BCStalk
I'll try that. That's over WiFi but I get under 30 on my laptop straight wired to the modem.
JP76
What is the modem brand and model number ?

Is it a suddenlink provided modem or one you purchased ??
BCStalk
I'll have to look when I get home. It was bought from Suddenlink for 1gbt
BCStalk
It's a Arris CM3200 so it's the right model
JMac03
AG
I have Suddenlink and it's been down the majority of the day. I don't understand all the griping - we had a big ass storm last night and there are utility poles down outside my neighborhood. It's not like they aren't trying to fix the issue. The team has been out there for over 14 hours so far.

Note - I have no skin in the game. I wish there were other providers to choose from - but any provider could have issues after what happened last night.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I just reset my modem when I got home. Came right back on. About 450 down just like normal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.