New car plates

2,235 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jello123
Crusader
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife's car is seven years old and her license plates need to be replaced. Does anyone know: (1) where to replace them (Brazos County Court house?), and (2) how much extra it will it cost?
Thanks
Red Krow
They have replaced mine a time or two for different cars. When I have registered them at the tax office they have just said it's time for new plates. I guess you could request new plates at the tax office. I don't think they charged me a fee when they replaced them. If you are asking for new plates there might be a fee.

I think you can order vanity plates online. If that's the direction you want to go.
91_Aggie
AG
They just mailed me new ones without asking when I paid my annual registration. Not sure you have to request new ones
ratfacemcdougal
On the registration renewal form, there used to be a place where it showed the age of the plate. I thought they would send new ones automatically every 5 years.
jello123
According to the website below. "As of Nov. 1, 2016, the State of Texas will no longer automatically replace your plates after 7 years. However, you may still apply at your county tax office for replacement plates if the license plate needs to be replaced for cosmetic or readability reasons." It also states: "Replacement plates are available through your local county tax assessor-collector's office. It costs $6 plus a $0.50 automation fee (used for computer upgrades to the Registration and Titling system)." https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.