Ethanol-Free gas in BCS?

15,163 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RMC91
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know of any gas stations that sell Ethanol-Free gas in the Bryan College Station area?
Muzzleblast
Nope. Think Bucees in Waller is the closest.
UmustBKidding
Pure-gas.org still says Rick's on 30 still sells it (behind golf cart place?). RockingG in Caldwell sold it at least one. Point. Next probably in Waller buckees. Not sure situation at race track anymore, was drums of Chevron, if you need a drum you could contact kd timmons
oklaunion
I was in the CS True Value last week and overheard a sales guy tell a buyer that a place in Caldwell was now handling it. Not sure where, however.
jkje
AG
Rocking G in Caldwell has it. At least I hope they still do and continue to. I occasionally make it over there and fill up the gas cans I use for my lawnmower.
jkje
AG
It's the small station right next to the pool, not the big convenience store they have further down 21. https://goo.gl/maps/boBDdaQjq5MnfvNQ6
WheelinAg
AG
Muzzleblast said:

Nope. Think Bucees in Waller is the closest.
Bucees is Ethanol free, but read the fine print. I know at least in Houston they have isobutanol. I'm no chemist, but I believe this is a better alcohol than Ethanol from a fast google search. Do your own research though...
cz308
I don't know if Rick's exists anymore and Groce in Caldwell hasn't sold it now in about 2 months or so. They had some issue with a line and it would take time to repair. This past week I drove by and the area behind the station looks repaired, but I do not know if they have the gas yet.

Hard to see how ethanol free and ethanol gas can both flow separately through the same hose. I don't know.
jello123
Roberts Service Station at 1508 W Main in Brenham sells ethanol-free gas. Ever cooler, they sell kerosene at the pump for $5/gal. 979-836-1688
TxSquarebody
Rumor I heard today is that the Sunoco store are going to start selling it. Nothing confirmed yet.
JimInBCS
Why do people use ethanol free gas? I heard it increases mileage, but doesn't it cost more per gallon thereby erasing that advantage? Or is it related more to usage in older vehicles that can't operate on ethanol in the fuel?
Rexter
Corn squeezins are not good for small engines
BQ_90
AG
JimInBCS said:

Why do people use ethanol free gas? I heard it increases mileage, but doesn't it cost more per gallon thereby erasing that advantage? Or is it related more to usage in older vehicles that can't operate on ethanol in the fuel?
I use it in my tailgate generator and lawnmower
BlueMiles
AG
cz308 said:

Groce in Caldwell hasn't sold it now in about 2 months or so. They had some issue with a line and it would take time to repair. This past week I drove by and the area behind the station looks repaired, but I do not know if they have the gas yet.

Hard to see how ethanol free and ethanol gas can both flow separately through the same hose. I don't know.

I asked someone at Groce about it about a month ago. They said they hoped to have it back soon. I hope someone here will post if they see it back. I will if I see it.
GSS
JimInBCS said:

For many small engines, the addition of ethanol is a guarantee of frustration, repair bills, and general down time. The bane of owners, a bonus for the repair shops.
JimInBCS
cz308
BlueMiles said:

cz308 said:

Groce in Caldwell hasn't sold it now in about 2 months or so. They had some issue with a line and it would take time to repair. This past week I drove by and the area behind the station looks repaired, but I do not know if they have the gas yet.

I asked someone at Groce about it about a month ago. They said they hoped to have it back soon. I hope someone here will post if they see it back. I will if I see it.
I should be heading down that way on Saturday. If they are open, I'll swing by and ask.
cz308
They are still out, but hope to be back up soon.
profromdover
AG
I use low lead 100 from the airport in my mowers and trimmers. Works very well.
cz308
Other than the obvious of leaded and unleaded, what are the other differences between this?
tb9665
For some reason, if you go past Corpus Christi towards Kingsville, they have it had their Walmart.
WC87
AG
JimInBCS said:

Ethanol fuel left to sit as is typical in small engines, boats, and gas containers will separate into gas and ethanol. This causes damage to fuel lines, etc...That trimmer that worked great last year and is now by the curb because it wouldn't start this spring? Chances are good that the fuel line was eaten away by ethanol. It's a simple fix but a major hassle. That's why pure gas (Ethanol free) is sought after.
Drewmeister
AG
WC87 said:

JimInBCS said:

Ethanol fuel left to sit as is typical in small engines, boats, and gas containers will separate into gas and ethanol.
Minor clarification: ethanol absorbs water vapor from the air, and water (mixed with ethanol) separates from gasoline. Without the introduction of water, ethanol and gasoline stay mixed just fine. In modern cars with evaporative emission controls handling vapor and fuel pumps always recirculating the fuel, this is not a problem, but small engines typically just gravity feed and have a vent in the gas cap, so water can collect in the carb bowl and cause corrosion.

I suppose fuel lines could be an issue too, but I encountered ruined lines with old varnished gasoline in the pre-E10 days also. Water is the bigger problem IMO.

Personally I run pump gas and always add fuel stabilizer when filling the can for the mower. I'd use ethanol-free if it were available but I'm not driving an hour to get 1 gallon of gas, nor am I buying the canned stuff at Home Depot for the equivalent of $20/gal.
cz308
cz308 said:

They are still out, but hope to be back up soon.
Groce is selling it again. 87 octane. Not exactly sure how one hose is separating the non ethanol vs the regular stuff though.
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks for the update.
AgDotCom
Another thanks for the update.

I've had pretty good luck with a 15 yr. old Stihl blower running it on 10% ethanol pump gasoline....the first 5 or 6 years without an additive, the remainder with Stabil or Startron additive, and it's still running well. But it finally took its toll on an Echo line trimmer and a Toro mower engine. Or at least Ike's said that's the problem, and I trust them.
Tim Weaver
JimInBCS said:

Ethanol is hard on equipment, no matter what, but it's a death sentence for small engines. You'll need a fuel system rebuild every season if you let corn gas sit in it.

Ethanol also reduces any infernal combustion engine's efficiency. You'll get worse mileage with it.

The only cool thing you can do is inject a TON of it into your engine and feed it lots of pressurized air and you can make relatively large horsepower numbers using E85. Thats how you are seeing 1500-2000 horsepower engines being run on the street now.

Corn mash is for drinking. Not burning.......
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Does premium octane still have ethanol?
Vae Victis
cz308
Nealthedestroyer said:

Yes
Tim Weaver
Nealthedestroyer said:

Thank your Gubment, Monsanto, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, Genetically modified corn genetically modified for control of the weeds, etc, etc......
slyk
Does the Bucees in Madisonville or Bastrop have it?
TwoTimeAg
AG
QT in Round Rock off of I-35 near Dell sells it...right now it's $2.83 a gallon.
cz308
slyk said:

Does the Bucees in Madisonville or Bastrop have it?
Yes to both locations.
PLUM LOCO
AG
I think most of the Murphy's gas stations carry ethanol free.
Muzzleblast
Are you sure about Madisonville? Last I checked they did not.

Bastrop and Waller do for sure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.