6/5/19 Rain fall total

8,307 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oogway
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
edit: 7.25" Emerald Forest
Eliminatus
AG
I legitimately cannot remember the last time it was this heavy and this consistent for this long.
AgsWin2011
AG
Rain gauge at work was empty when I left yesterday. Got to work this morning around 7:45 and the 6" gauge was topped out. I dumped it and there's nearly another 2" in there. No telling how much more we actually got.
AggieAces06
AG
Heismenberg said:

Rain gauge at work was empty when I left yesterday. Got to work this morning around 7:45 and the 6" gauge was topped out. I dumped it and there's nearly another 2" in there. No telling how much more we actually got.

Where was this?
AGnBCS
AG
I just watched city works guys watch the water rising to the road level at deacon and Longmire . Look to be considering closing it with a barrier ( this was 30 min ago the rain has subsided and the ditch water is dropping now )
halibut sinclair
Eliminatus said:

I legitimately cannot remember the last time it was this heavy and this consistent for this long.
that little thing called Harvey a couple years ago?
nickstro66
AG
Summer after my senior year in '16 I think it rained like this for a couple days in a row. I think there were some tornados too.

Parking lot in my apartment complex was flooded. Made getting to work a lot of fun. Hope y'all stay safe today!
Stupe
S
Eliminatus said:

You can't remember Harvey?
happyinBCS
6 inches in Woodcreek
Eliminatus
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Eliminatus said:

that little thing called Harvey a couple years ago?

I was thinking non hurricane. Normal storm I meant.

Either way, got a bunch and now I want a rain gauge of my own.
halibut sinclair
Well, this rain is from a tropical disturbance.
AgFlags74
AG
Our gauge in Carter's Crossing area (behind Academy on Hwy 6) had 0.5 before midnight. Emptied it. Since midnight, now shows another 5.5 inches. I grew up and lived in Houston for 50 years. It was a shock if we did NOT get this kind of rain every time it clouded up. Lol!!!
AgFlags74 - College Station TX
duffelpud
AG
Pool was 6" below the edge last night. It's been spilling over for the last hour and a half (Sandstone).
"What's this button do?"
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Anything from around Traditions?

I'm out of town

Thx
jja79
AG
No idea but how long will it be cart path only?
AgsWin2011
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Heismenberg said:

Where was this?
Near Central Park
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
jja79 said:

No idea but how long will it be cart path only?

Well,,,,,,,? Since Im sidelined with rotator cuff rehab for another month..........,probably 2 months.

My luck
MaroonBloodedAg2010
We got 0.18" just north of Snook.
happyinBCS
Wow only a third of an inch at the airport and 6 and 7 inches in other areas of CS
techno-ag
AG
happyinBCS said:

Wow only a third of an inch at the airport and 6 and 7 inches in other areas of CS
Yeah. Shows the stupidity of using Easterwood as the official rain gauge for the whole area.
trouble
AG
Almost 9" near us. Carter Creek & Villa Maria area
TLIAC
AG
4 inches in Shenandoah
Jetty
AG
5 inches in Enchanted Oaks about 2 miles South of Central Church off Hwy 30...
TXAGBQ76
AG
Harvey?
oklaunion
At Wellborn, we got 1/2" by 7am and then an additional 1" by noon. We had fertilized pastures the day before so that was sufficient.
The KBTX guy said no more rain until late Thursday but we got an additional .2" sometime after midnight last night.
waterchick
You can see rainfall totals (cumulative through the past week) here: https://bvwatersmart.tamu.edu

You can also get watering recommendations sent via email every Monday, by signing up at the website. Pretty sure next week is going to say "NO watering. Please." Or something like that.
phatpat21
That's a pretty awesome website
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Ive had the same outfit taking care of my yard in BCS for > 5 years and he tells me that the single biggest fault he sees in lawn care in BCS is chronic overwatering.

I know I was guilty before he educated me
agnerd
AG
techno-ag said:

happyinBCS said:

Yeah. Shows the stupidity of using Easterwood as the official rain gauge for the whole area.
Why? It's the historical, consistent collection point that's been operating every day since 1940. Are people stupid enough to believe that if the airport got 1 inch that every single yard in the city got 1 inch? Every city has an official weather gauge that collects rain, wind, (snow), and temperature every single day for decades. I don't know anyone in College Station that's been documenting weather to that extent every day for the last 80 years.

But if you are interested in becoming a weather reporter, you can sign up here: https://www.cocorahs.org/

Edit: I have a bigger issue with somewhere like Houston that has 200 rain gauges, and the media reports that the ENTIRE city was devastated by a 500-year flood (Harvey excluded) every time any single gauge registers a big rainfall and most of the people had less than a 2-year storm.
Alte Schule
Spillway to Carter Creek on Wilderness Drive between Red Hill and Manassas Court Raintree subdivison. Photo taken at noon 6/5/19.Yellow flood gauge in the background indicates three feet. It was at four feet five hours earlier. From the bottom of the spillway to the road where the gauge is anchored is six feet.
[url=https://ibb.co/W6NWKCB][/url]
Oogway
While there was undoubtedly a lot of rainfall with the last storm, is that much pooling of water common in that area? If not, do you think that the development further upstream is causing more runoff or do the creek beds need clearing/maintenance? Just curious as to your thoughts.
Alte Schule
Oogway said:

While there was undoubtedly a lot of rainfall with the last storm, is that much pooling of water common in that area? If not, do you think that the development further upstream is causing more runoff or do the creek beds need clearing/maintenance? Just curious as to your thoughts.
I've lived here 26 years and I've seen it much worse than this. When I first moved into this house the city was kind of half a** about maintaining the spillway and all kind of debris piled up. I've seen lawn chairs, cardboard and one time a plastic kid's pool float down towards the creek and get mixed in with thee branches damming everything. If we had two or three inches of rain it would look like it does in the photo. Any more than that the water would be up to the trees you see in the background.
About ten years ago the city stepped up after the fire department had to do some water rescues. Couple of kids on a inflatable raft ended up having to climb trees about 100 yds down and a couple of floating cars with people on the roofs.The city dredged the spillway and widened it and now it's maintained weekly. Used to be when we have a heavy rain I had to call to get temporary road barriers put in place now the FD and city works department are pretty quick to scout things out and get the barriers up.
Flooding doesn't occur near as often now. My rain gauge showed just over seven inches Weds. morning. With the ground already soaked all that water.had to go somewhere so we expected it.. My neighbors and I are kind of used to it. Great excuse to miss work but not so great if it happens when your at work and come home to it. One thing for sure is there will be no apartment buildings or anything else being built over there.

PSA:: Raintree parents, don't let your children come swim in this cesspool. This water is all runoff from lawns, streets and driveways. Pesticides and who knows what else is mixed in there. Plus the fireants, snakes and other critters that get displaced ain't very happy. It's an invitation for an infection or worse.
02skiag
AG
agnerd said:

techno-ag said:

happyinBCS said:

Why? It's the historical, consistent collection point that's been operating every day since 1940. Are people stupid enough to believe that if the airport got 1 inch that every single yard in the city got 1 inch? Every city has an official weather gauge that collects rain, wind, (snow), and temperature every single day for decades. I don't know anyone in College Station that's been documenting weather to that extent every day for the last 80 years.

But if you are interested in becoming a weather reporter, you can sign up here: https://www.cocorahs.org/

Edit: I have a bigger issue with somewhere like Houston that has 200 rain gauges, and the media reports that the ENTIRE city was devastated by a 500-year flood (Harvey excluded) every time any single gauge registers a big rainfall and most of the people had less than a 2-year storm.

That's a bit harsh. While historical measurements are important, having the official record at the edge of town is not very accurate. Over years it paints a good picture but over the past couple weeks it's off by several inches compared to the south side of town.

I see no issue with having an official central and south record added.
Oogway
Thanks for the info! It's good to hear that it is improved. That neighborhood has always had such pretty trees. (guess that is the reason for its name!)
95_Aggie
AG
Aggiedome working hard today
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.