Need New Car AC Compressor - Good Options (Not Expensive)?

1,285 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stupe
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have an older model Toyota sedan that needs a new compressor and my usual mechanic quoted me around $2,000 for it. I don't even think Blue Book on the car is $2,000. Anyone know of somewhere local that would do it for less, possibly with a refurbished unit?
Koko Chingo
AG
Amazon or Rock Auto.

I got a new Denso compressor prefilled with oil, plus a condenser for $275 from Amazon.

You can buy Harbor Freight gauges and a vacuum pump and do it yourself and still be under $500.

Otherwise mechanics got you over a barrel.

I was quoted $1650 last year. I did it myself for a few hundred bucks.

aggiepaintrain
AG
I have a guy who can install it for around $500 tops, you buy the parts he tells you to buy from rockauto or ebay, amazon etc .....denso is usual maker of toyota compressors and they are not that expensive.
email aggiepaintrain@gmail.com and I'll see what he says , need to know year and model
He's certified, all that stuff. Works on everything I own.
I'm in BCS
TxSquarebody
If you go DIY, and since it lost the compressor, be sure to properly flush the evaporator, condenser, buy a new dryer/accumulator, and replace the orifice tube. You don't want old compressor gunk cratering the new one.
snaglepuss
TxSquarebody said:

If you go DIY, and since it lost the compressor, be sure to properly flush the evaporator, condenser, buy a new dryer/accumulator, and replace the orifice tube. You don't want old compressor gunk cratering the new one.
You are absolutely right TxSquarebody. That is what drives the price up. It's not a simple bolt on and go item. It is also something that requires skill and legally you would need recover the refrigerant instead of releasing to the air. You will also need a good vacuum pump.
Stupe
S
Quote:

It is also something that requires skill and legally you would need recover the refrigerant instead of releasing to the air.
Which most shade tree mechanics don't do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.