Local DJ planning to run from CS to Las Vegas in 45 Days

10,853 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BeardedBear
BeardedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"A local DJ is running from College Station to Las Vegas to raise money and gather sponsorships for a new music festival he's hoping to bring to the Brazos Valley.

Robert Mwandia, also known as DJ Rob, will leave College Station on Saturday and will attempt to run the distance of 45 marathons in 45 days."

Link to KBTX article.

I'm not a runner personally, but this seems like a crazy undertaking. It's cool to see someone using their abilities to try to start something they believe in so passionately.
histag10
AG
As long as it doesnt turn into a Fyrefest situation, seems like it would be a good idea.

Also, more power to him. I will pretty much only run if someone is chasing me, and even then about 20 minutes in I'm probably just going to give up and accept death.
bobinator
AG
I hope it does turn into a Fyrefest situation. I live here so it'd be fun to go out to like Lake Bryan and watch a bunch of people lose their minds if the infrastructure isn't in place and then just go home and laugh about it.

Although the last time I remember a big music festival in CS other than Chilifest was the 'Big State Festival' out at Texas World Speedway and it was pretty awesome. I don't think as many people attended as they were hoping, but it was great.
dallasiteinsa02
June 1st? Not the best date to leave and head west.
NeverBunt
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2987763
redd38
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Don't worry, he appears to be in peak physical condition for marathons
Oogway
It takes around 20 hours by car, let's say he runs five hour marathons (slightly above average for males). If he gets up eats and gets going, he can be finished by noon and then rest and recover. That is if he runs the miles all at one time as opposed to several runs a day (I'd not want to do that, but would prefer to just do a long slow run every day). People not named Gump have certainly done runs like this before but it takes a toll. 1300+ miles is some wear and tear on the body. Good luck to him!

91_Aggie
AG
Article says he is going to spread the miles out through the day which i think is the way to do it if you are not a world class ultra runner.

But thats going to require he have a good support person/team with him. There is not going to be a hotel every 26 miles when heading out west. Going to need an RV or sleep in a van for 45 days.

But you need at least two people (him and someone else) who have the luxury of noy needing a job for 45 days.

My prediction is that he will not complete this, or if he does it will not be documented enough to prove he ran the whole way, i.e. hes gonna cheat.
Stupe
S
histag10 said:

As long as it doesnt turn into a Fyrefest situation, seems like it would be a good idea.

Also, more power to him. I will pretty much only run if someone is chasing me, and even then about 20 minutes in I'm probably just going to give up and accept death.
Run until you pass someone slower than you.
BlueMiles
AG
How is he doing?
Bunk Moreland

dallasiteinsa02
91_Aggie said:

Article says he is going to spread the miles out through the day which i think is the way to do it if you are not a world class ultra runner.

But thats going to require he have a good support person/team with him. There is not going to be a hotel every 26 miles when heading out west. Going to need an RV or sleep in a van for 45 days.

But you need at least two people (him and someone else) who have the luxury of noy needing a job for 45 days.

My prediction is that he will not complete this, or if he does it will not be documented enough to prove he ran the whole way, i.e. hes gonna cheat.
Is there a website with gps tracking? That would be a normal thing for something like this stunt.
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks. I should have checked Twitter. I had checked Facebook and Instagram.
TexAg1987
dallasiteinsa02 said:

TexAg1987
91_Aggie
AG
I did find this city that he could say: I never said Las Vegas, NV

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+Vegas,+NM+87701/@35.5943988,-105.2550058,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m22!1m16!4m15!1m6!1m2!1s0x8646848619463ca3:0xc969c74db6bf6ac9!2sCollege+Station,+Texas!2m2!1d-96.3344068!2d30.627977!1m6!1m2!1s0x86568e392a066945:0x7d9e6bf2223a95f!2sAbilene,+TX!2m2!1d-99.7331439!2d32.4487364!3e0!3m4!1s0x871914cb92549207:0x88231b7ed064dccc!8m2!3d35.5942273!4d-105.2229309
BeardedBear
AG
I've been following along on his facebook page. Looks like with his ankle injury he's been reduced to walking 10 hours days until he's able to run again.

It's gonna take an amazing amount of will power for him to finish this out.

I just hope he can sell the 1000 tickets he needs to make this thing happen. I'd hate to see someone go through all this effort and fall short.
AboveAndBeyond
This is stupid. We have had a few bigger named "festivals" and all have gotten **** down because of NIMBYs. The last one at the old race track got shut down early. There were noise complaints, and a few of the DJs and Singers didnt even want to perform because of it. It's not that we dont have things, its that people dont want it here.
BlueMiles
AG

BeardedBear
AG
Looks like he's had some injuries and is pushing through and hiking the distance everyday until he can run again.

https://www.facebook.com/robmwandia/videos/481236125778958/

That's some dedication.
CoachC16
AG
Love the story and the perseverance. I did some research, he's on day 28, just reached New Mexico. Not much traction on the Kickstarter/Gofund though, they need to get that thing going.
BlueMiles
AG
BeardedBear
AG
I know some appendix surgeries aren't bad and you can be back to work a week later, I wonder if that's the case here and if he'll try to continue.
CoachC16
AG
Saw on his FB Page that he was already back at it, like three days removed from an appendectomy... this freaking guy is a warrior!! Go support him Ags
CoachC16
AG
CoachC16 said:

Saw on his FB Page that he was already back at it, like three days removed from an appendectomy... this freaking guy is a warrior!! Go support him Ags

I had to throw him a donation after I saw that; that's freaking unbelievable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bcsfest/bcsfest-a-music-and-arts-festival
BeardedBear
AG
CoachC16 said:

Amazing amount of heart, I'd already donated to the kickstarter. I hope more people follow your lead and go donate.
BeardedBear
AG
New KBTX Update

Looks like Rusty did an interview with him recently.
Captn_Ag05
AG
He is dedicated for sure. I hope he is able to turn his dream into a reality.

It has to be disappointing to have only raised a couple thousand so far.
FamousAgg
I played rugby with Robert while I was at A&M in 2007, a good guy, and a heck of a lot tougher than me. I wouldn't have made day 2. Keep it up Rob!
BeardedBear
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

He is dedicated for sure. I hope he is able to turn his dream into a reality.

It has to be disappointing to have only raised a couple thousand so far.
It's easy to get people to cheer you on, a lot harder to get them to pull out their wallet.

I'm hoping he sees a big push when he finishes this thing.
BlueMiles
AG
CoachC16
AG
BlueMiles said:

That's pretty cool. I'm kind of surprised this hasn't garnered more attention or been posted on the main board at all.
BlueMiles
AG
BeardedBear
AG
I saw this today and thought it was a well written.

Quote:

The heart-wrenching saga of DJ Rob:
I think the world deserves to hear this story, because it is epic, tragic, and has kept me up at night for the last month.

DJ ROB (Robert Mwandia) of College Station, TX has been running since June 1.
Let's pause for a moment and consider everything you have done since June 1. You have likely lived out a good chunk of rich life experiences in the last 46 days (well, maybe not). And throughout all of that time, DJ Rob has been on the side of a busy highway, running. Since June 1, I've been on multiple trips with friends, started and completed large projects at work, spent many hours in my above-ground pool, and this entire time, DJ Rob has been running.

For those who don't know, DJ Rob challenged himself to run from College Station, TX to Las Vegas, Nevada in 45 days (yes, on foot). He calls the campaign "45 marathons in 45 days" because he has to run a little over 26 miles a day to make it to Vegas on time. He is doing it to raise money to bring an ACL-style music festival to College Station and bolster the otherwise dismal music scene. Yes I know it's unbelievable, ludicrous almost.

If running 1,336 miles through the scorching desert wasn't bad enough, here are some things that have happened along the way.

14 days into his journey, Rob's driver (The guy that picks him up after each marathon and drives him back to the start point the next day), quit on him. So Rob had to drive back to college station, find a new driver, and drive back to his checkpoint.

Rob notes on twitter that many drivers pee into bottles and toss them onto the highway and that he continually passes hot smelly bottles of urine as he treks through the desert.
On Day 27 he turned 34, and ran 34 miles to celebrate.

On Day 29, DJ Rob had emergency surgery to HAVE HIS APPENDIX REMOVED after it almost ruptured. His doctor gave him a 6 week recovery time. Silly doctor, 7 days later, Rob did 30 miles outside of Albuquerque. like what even.

He has had the cops called on him while running. Also, On day 43 when he entered Arizona, he was notified by the police that is illegal to walk on the highway. Fortunately, after hearing the story, the officer allowed him to keep running.

As DJ Rob now approaches the Nevada border, I must tell you about the saddest part of this story. Despite succeeding so far in his endeavor, in the face incredible odds, ROB'S KICKSTARTER HAS RAISED LESS THAN 3% OF ITS GOAL. HE GETS NOTHING IF HE DOESN'T MAKE THE GOAL. He is trying to raise the $100K by pre-selling festival tickets and asking for donations in exchange for merch on the kickstarter.

At this rate, DJ Rob will triumphantly succeed in this incredible journey across the US arriving in Las Vegas miraculously, yet at the same time fail miserably, and have virtually no impact. That is the thought that has caused me such deep distress. I don't know why this campaign hasn't picked up more buzz. Perhaps it's because he did it in the middle of the summer, when the majority of his target demographic is out of town staying with parents or working at summer camps. Maybe it's because music in BCS truly is dead.

All I ask is that you share this. Even if this campaign doesn't succeed, I want people to know this story. This man is a legend, consider supporting him if you can.

I don't know Rob, nor have I ever been to one of his shows. But the fact that this is occurring blows my mind and troubles me deeply.

Godspeed Rob.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bcsfest/bcsfest-a-music-and-arts-festival

disclaimer: I am fully aware that there are much more pressing tragedies occurring in our world. Please continue to apply your sympathy and finances to those.

redd38
AG
Well, if nothing else it seems like it'll be a good lesson in marketing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.