Mad Taco's Chips

13,797 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by classicdoug
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I just middle aged and cranky, or are the new chips indeed terrible? To me they are tasteless, and it's a shame because my family has stopped going there when we used to go all the time. Friends wanted to go today, so we went. My daughter walks over from the kid's table and says "Daddy, they still have the paper chips."

I'd happily pay more if that's what it takes. I just don't get it -- all the employees I talked to seem to agree and say they've gotten plenty of complaints. Even if the old chips aren't viable, there's gotta be a better alternative.

#savethechips
halibut sinclair
nthomas99 said:

Am I just middle aged and cranky

Yes.
nthomas99
AG
halibut sinclair said:

nthomas99 said:

Yes.
great, thanks.
The Anchor
AG
We don't care for the new chips either.
Tailgate88
AG
https://madtaco.com/Contact.aspx
nthomas99
AG
Tailgate88 said:

https://madtaco.com/Contact.aspx

Tried that a month ago, no response.
AggiePhil
AG
I agree. The old chips were homemade, like the ones at Garpez. The new ones are cheap storeboughts and are usually stale.
halibut sinclair
nthomas99 said:

halibut sinclair said:

nthomas99 said:

Yes.
great, thanks.

I've only been there once and don't remember anything about the chips. I do remember I didn't care for the tortillas they use for the tacos. Too thick.
crbongos
AG
The tamale bread or tortilla is above awesome tho!!!!
CRBongo
BrazosDog02
AG
WTH? This seems a lot like complaining that Denny's doesn't make a decent steak. I've been to mad taco a ton of times and I've never once had chips. Honestly, until this thread I didn't even know they had chips. Lol. I go for the...you know...tacos. And also the chipotle margarita or whatever it is. It's so awesome. I hope the chips are able to be fixed and also that the op gets priorities in line. Thoughts and prayers for all.
bushytailed
AG
The new chips are trash.
AggiePhil
AG
The chips come with the salsa, guac, queso, and G-Q. You're missing out if you haven't tried any of these.
unmade bed
Not a fan either. Just gonna pass on chips amd queso and go for fries instead.
nthomas99
AG
crbongos said:

The tamale bread or tortilla is above awesome tho!!!!

Yes! I remember the pre Mad Taco days when Peter had the truck and sold the pork tacos with this tamale bread (they were even bigger than the Mad Taco ones). I followed that truck all around town to make sure I got my weekly fix.

The tacos are still quite good, which is why I'm frustrated. It's like ordering fish and chips in London and getting crinkle cut frozen fries with amazingly fresh cod.

It's just weird because I know he cares deeply about the food there. I get it that some people could care less, but for those who do, I've yet to find one person neutral or positive about the new chips.

nthomas99
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

WTH? This seems a lot like complaining that Denny's doesn't make a decent steak. I've been to mad taco a ton of times and I've never once had chips. Honestly, until this thread I didn't even know they had chips. Lol. I go for the...you know...tacos. And also the chipotle margarita or whatever it is. It's so awesome. I hope the chips are able to be fixed and also that the op gets priorities in line. Thoughts and prayers for all.

Thanks so much for the troll and prayers.
nthomas99
AG
AggiePhil said:

The chips come with the salsa, guac, queso, and G-Q. You're missing out if you haven't tried any of these.

Yes, the quac and queso are quite good on their own. However, the first time I had the G-Q, I felt personal shame that I'd never thought to combine quac and queso like that. It was an epiphany.
montegobay
The chips are pathetic. I can get better chips at Taco Bell. I am thinking of skipping GQ next time. What's the point with those chips?

On a positive note, the south CS location now has the patio set for adults, not as a playground. That's definitely a win.
nthomas99
AG
montegobay said:

On a positive note, the south CS location now has the patio set for adults, not as a playground. That's definitely a win.

Yeah, I have young kids and still thought it got out of hand at times. Part of I think could've been mitigated with a better choice activities that weren't so prone to use as projectiles, but I agree that on the whole it's a better dining experience for everyone without anything there.
halibut sinclair
This thread is so typical south CS first world problems.
lost my dog
You could just ask Peter Madden what's up. He does listen to people.
EBrazosAg
AG
The patio has always been very odd, especially for a place Peter runs in SCS. Leaving the patio heaters just standing in a corner all summer seemed sloppy. Just not what I expected coming from MAddens or the original MT.......
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosh
lost my dog said:

You could just ask Peter Madden what's up. He does listen to people.

People have been complaining about the chips since they switched. It's been awhile. No change. It's odd since everything else is excellent!
K2T2
Wait, did they change them again? They changed them a few years ago from what were stupidly good homemade chips to better-than-places-like-Chuy's/Casa Ole's-super-thin chips. But probaby, you're cranky and middle aged (your taste buds get weaker as you age). They're still better than the chips at most places.

Also, they're chips. I'd be worried if you were complaining about the queso, salsa, or guac. Chips solely exist to get those things to your mouth in a more socially acceptable way than eating them with a spoon or slurping from the bowl.
csnole
If you've eaten the original chips and then what they have been serving the last few months - you would definitely appreciate this thread - these chips taste like the cheapest store bought out of a bag stale chips that are not Mad Taco standards at all!!! I can see that maybe they needed to tweak the way the original chips were cooked because sometimes they did have a bitter taste from the oil but please somebody from MT headquarters buy a better quality chip in the meantime!!!
nthomas99
AG
K2T2 said:

Wait, did they change them again? They changed them a few years ago from what were stupidly good homemade chips to better-than-places-like-Chuy's/Casa Ole's-super-thin chips. But probaby, you're cranky and middle aged (your taste buds get weaker as you age). They're still better than the chips at most places.

Also, they're chips. I'd be worried if you were complaining about the queso, salsa, or guac. Chips solely exist to get those things to your mouth in a more socially acceptable way than eating them with a spoon or slurping from the bowl.

Yes, they changed them again within the last 60 days or so. The previous chips were an outsourced version of the original in house recipe, and I agree they were still very good.

I agree in principle with "chips as delivery medium for dip", but give the new ones a try. They are shockingly bad. I think I'm going to make an HEB run before I go next time and just provide my own delivery medium. Heck, I might even setup shop in the parking lot and make a few bucks...
91_Aggie
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Nice gatekeeping, here.

"You aren't a true lover of Mad Taco if you care about the chips"
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
AggiePhil said:

I agree. The old chips were homemade, like the ones at Garpez. The new ones are cheap storeboughts and are usually stale.

You have any proof to back this up? Most authentic Mexican food places that I've been to that make their own chips have thin ones.
nthomas99
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

You have any proof to back this up? Most authentic Mexican food places that I've been to that make their own chips have thin ones.

Proof about which part?

- For sure they used to be made in house. This was a major marketing point when they first opened. The quantity become too much for them to handle, so they outsourced to a company in Houston to make them following the in house recipe. What they've said is that there were quality control problems with the Houston company, so they had to change.

- I guess it's somewhat qualitative and not quantitative, but multiple people have reported them tasting stale.

- As for for the current chips being store bought, I don't know where they get them, but I've been told directly by employees there that they're sourced externally and not made in house.

Totally agree that thin chips can be good, but go give the current chips a try. It's a not a thin / thick thing. It's a quality thing.
classicdoug
AG
I'll chime in too. I noticed the difference for the worse also. The last time I just thought we got stale chips. I guess not.
Kate Beckett
AG
This is making me sad for when I come back to visit in July.
AgsWin2011
AG
This is disappointing. The chips were so good. Last time I thought maybe they just ran out and gave us the crap. Guess I was wrong.
rc_cat
When they changed before prior to the outsourcing, the replacement chips tasted like wheat thins.
SoTheySay
S
The new ones are gross. The employees agree. I haven't been back since I tasted them. I doubt it's because of the terrible chips. But seriously, they're terrible.
dave99ag
AG
We stopped going when they removed their pizzas from the menu earlier this year. Those worked perfectly for our family. Would always get an order of QG and chips too.
bugle rank '87
AG
I expressed my displeasure with the removal of pizzas also. They really didn't seem to care.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.