Mad Taco's Chips

13,799 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by classicdoug
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same here. They offered a gift card. Maybe we were the only to order them.
ONA
Too funny. My husband loves the new chips. I don't particularly care for them as much. My only real and viable complaint is management. Ever since the former manager, Carley, left, its gone down hill steadily.
Prune Tracy
nought
AG
I don't know if they are trying to avoid competition with Rx Pizza by removing the pizzas, but it was a bad move. We can't get the kiddos enthused about going there without the pizzas. We love their tacos, but the tacos aren't exactly kid-friendly for the most part. Their margaritas are interesting flavor-wise, but lack in the alcohol content. Other places around town don't have that problem, so we've been going to those other places instead of Mad Taco.
Prune Tracy
halibut sinclair
This thread continues to not disappoint.
TXAG 05
AG
How are tacos not "kid friendly?"
trouble
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

How are tacos not "kid friendly?"

It takes a while for them to be able to hold them without spilling all the insides.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think this all goes to show one thing...kids ruin everything.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Mad Taco has gone downhill considerably since when they first opened on University.

My wife and I went there the other day and noticed nothing was good about the meal compared to a few years ago. Chips have changed at least twice over the years (homemade ones were incredible), margaritas have gotten more cheap alcohol taste, and the tamale bread is more rigid. They're also constantly taking really good stuff off the menu. The fried fish taco that hasn't been seen in about two years was absolutely incredible. Same with pizzas. And also their salads.

We really enjoyed mad taco, and loved the place it took as Torchy's started making worse and worse food. Looks like Mad Taco is doing the same. I've heard employees talk about the owners getting serious bids for buying them out/ opening franchises all the time.

Would not be surprised if suddenly mad tacos spring up in NW Houston/mid town over the next few years.
AggiePhil
AG
I tried sending this thread to the owner but he has yet to open it.
nthomas99
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I've heard employees talk about the owners getting serious bids for buying them out/ opening franchises all the time.

Would not be surprised if suddenly mad tacos spring up in NW Houston/mid town over the next few years.

This is the only rational explanation I can come up with for the recent changes (drop of pizzas, bad chips, etc)... an attempt to beef up the P&L for franchising/takeover. So far, I can't see any other reason beyond that. If this thread is a reasonable sample (we're 45 replies deep with one new chip lover), then it ain't because of taste.
nthomas99
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

That's the same problem we have with the removal of pizza. Both of our kids liked their pizza and won't eat the tacos. We quit going as a family to eat, which basically means we wind up at RX instead of MT.
My two older kids are happy with tacos. My youngest previously did pizza, but seems to be happy with the "pizzza-dilla" creation added to placate them. But I can see how no pizzas becomes a deal killer for some families.
nthomas99
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

nah, I'll take my girls' smiles and my son's goofy laugh over tacos, chips, and pizza any day of the week.
nthomas99
AG
halibut sinclair said:

This thread continues to not disappoint.
Look let's be real - almost all of this forum is silly first world problems. In the end, my patronage of this establishment doesn't really matter, but....

One of my simple pleasures is all the awesome little food establishments in this burgeoning town I came to college for years ago for and never left. I want my bi-weekly Mong Chong Korean food fix. I want to watch my kids mishandle raw meat at Master Yakiniku, and so on and so on.

And I want tacos. And La Perla and the legit stuff in Bryan is a little too far drive to from South CS or when it's a busy day work. So I'd like my fruify Mad Taco tacos served up with serviceable chips.

Pretty please.
Nosh
Captn_Ag05 said:

nthomas99
AG
There's hope! From the Mad Taco FB page:

"We are aware of the TexAgs chip conversation and have been working with our provider to address the concerns of our guests. We have some of the same concerns, but the process is slower than we like. We are working on it"

A little vague, but a least some acknowledgment of the the issue. Finger crossed...
one MEEN Ag
AG
nthomas99 said:

"We are aware of the TexAgs chip conversation and have been working with our provider to address the concerns of our guests. We have some of the same concerns, but the process is slower than we like. We are working on it"

A little vague, but a least some acknowledgment of the the issue. Finger crossed...
See this won't fix the problem. The reason the original chips were incredible were because they made them in house, but it took up a bunch of fryers. They had to nix them to improve their kitchen logistics.

By saying they are talking to their suppliers, its basically just 'we are going to buy another chip.'

If they brought back the tamale chips and offered it for $1.99 refills I think they could rationalize the extra cost and people would be more than happy to pay that.
AggiePhil
AG
nthomas99 said:

Not seeing it on the page.
nthomas99
AG
AggiePhil said:

nthomas99 said:

Not seeing it on the page.

Look in the comments under the post that starts "Tamale bread! Did you know that no one else has this?...." Someone nudged them a bit, referencing this thread, and they responded.
nthomas99
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

nthomas99 said:

See this won't fix the problem. The reason the original chips were incredible were because they made them in house, but it took up a bunch of fryers. They had to nix them to improve their kitchen logistics.

By saying they are talking to their suppliers, its basically just 'we are going to buy another chip.'

If they brought back the tamale chips and offered it for $1.99 refills I think they could rationalize the extra cost and people would be more than happy to pay that.

I agree, I'd prefer the good 'ole stuff made in house. Unless they're super labor intensive, I don't get why it's not viable at some price point and/or refill policy. It's much more in keeping with the crafted / affordable luxury branding I initially associated with MT.

However, for whatever reason that seems to be off the table, which frankly leaves me left to beg for passable chips to deliver GQ to my mouth.
Tailgate88
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

nthomas99 said:

I would pay for a "refill" if they gave an adequate amount to begin with. When we order queso or GQ, we always say "with extra chips" because otherwise you don't get enough to finish said queso or GQ.

I actually had the chips last night and they weren't terrible, but definitely not anywhere as good as the ones they had previously.
halibut sinclair
Stick a bag of Tostitos in the missus' purse when you go there and chow down.
dubi
AG
Mad Taco FB post about the chips
AggieBarstool
BrazosDog02 said:

WTH? This seems a lot like complaining that Denny's doesn't make a decent steak. I've been to mad taco a ton of times and I've never once had chips. Honestly, until this thread I didn't even know they had chips. Lol. I go for the...you know...tacos. And also the chipotle margarita or whatever it is. It's so awesome. I hope the chips are able to be fixed and also that the op gets priorities in line. Thoughts and prayers for all.
Dude. They're chips and queso are (were?) hands-down the best in town. End of discussion.

Sad to hear about them switching to store-bought garbage.
aggiepaintrain
AG
not even close to the best in town
montegobay
I received a notice on the Mad Taco app this morning that said "Mad Taco's thick chips are back! "

TexAgs for the win again!
AgsWin2011
AG
montegobay said:

I received a notice on the Mad Taco app this morning that said "Mad Taco's thick chips are back! "

TexAgs for the win again!

Came here to post this. Ahhh... the power of TexAgs!
bushytailed
AG
Quote:

Mad Taco
40 mins
Chip Update. We appreciate everyone's correspondence and support in helping us work through the issues we have been having with our chips. We have been working on it ourselves for some time and we have finally found a solution: Our thick chips are making their return TODAY! #thick #welistened
I would like to thank my fellow TexAg-ers in assisting with this effort. High-fives all around!
Tailgate88
AG
Time for some GC to celebrate!
halibut sinclair
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!
nthomas99
AG
I'll be in sometime this week to celebrate. Hopefully people will be happy, though they're still not making them in house.

On a FB post asking them to return to homemade they replied: "that is not an option for us right now. We do not have the capacity to make our chips in the stores. Maybe we can plan for it in our future stores."

So it's still a 3rd party vendor. But hey, sincerely, thanks Mad Taco for listening!
duffelpud
AG
Maybe just change the name to Disgruntled Taco.
"What's this button do?"
nthomas99
AG
I went in for lunch today. The consensus at our table of three is that the chips are 90%+ of the way back to the old stuff and plenty good enough for sauce delivery. Thumbs up.
rc_cat
Tried to enjoy the return of the thick chips last night in a carryout order, but the queso was so incredibly over-the-top salty, that it was a no-go. I've had bad luck at MTSouth with orders being "off", but this was from the original store, so it was a little surprising. Oh well....
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.