CSISD feeding program runs again this summer

4,774 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Our-turn-to-rule
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI for parents. Can't beat these prices for lunch. How about free! Just show up and your kids get a free lunch. Adults pay $3.75. Not bad. Breakfast too.

Free meals served at the Lincoln Center & College Hills Elementary.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-ISD-to-serve-free-meals-this-summer-to-children-510295221.html
Turf96
So the school is always complaining about not having enough funding, we are taxing people out of the district, and now we give away free stuff over summer? I don't get the thumbs up for this. Thought we were trying to save money not blow through it while we have very few in school. Is this some kind of government program that pays the school district and they make a profit or something?
techno-ag
AG
Turf96 said:

So the school is always complaining about not having enough funding, we are taxing people out of the district, and now we give away free stuff over summer? I don't get the thumbs up for this. Thought we were trying to save money not blow through it while we have very few in school. Is this some kind of government program that pays the school district and they make a profit or something?
School lunches are funded by the government. Your beef is at the federal level if you oppose school lunches and summer feeding programs, not the local school level.
txgardengirl
A LOT of kiddos in our community depend on F&R lunches - especially at the younger levels - this is a federal program and I am happy the CSISD nutrition services has worked to get it funded and offer the meals.

We volunteer at the food bank quite a bit and participate in many drives they have - the number of backpacks of snacks and weekend food they provide to children in our community is astounding and outstanding.

I am thankful to live in a community that supports those that need help - and if you're opposed to helping kids - I just don't get it.
Oogway
Proper nutrition is important for brain development. Communities who oversee the welfare of their youngest populations have better outcomes.
BCSWguru
ahhh, yes, for the children. always, for the children.
Turf96
I get that proper nutrition is important to brain development. What I don't get is why the parent is no longer responsible for the welfare of their children. Why does the government need to be responsible for raising their children? Then on next level why does a school district have to administer this program? At some point responsibility should be on the people that reproduce but do nothing after that. School districts are in place to educate not become a form of social welfare.

If everything was all good in our school district sure take on more but I believe every side would say the school district needs to focus on handleing the issues they are in place to do before they reach out to new avenues of service. Pretty sure this message board alone shows that we have issues that need to be handled above feeding children of lazy individuals.

I respect you as a poster very much so not trying to combat you. Just think we see forced welfare differently. I'm tired of paying to care for the portion of society that refuses to get on board and work to make out community a better place.
cslifer
You have quite a response for someone is constantly preaching on this board about doing what is best for kids in the school district. The article very clearly states it is a USDA program, your local property taxes aren't paying for it. Not participating in this program wouldn't do anything so far as the district focusing on other issues. This isn't a "new avenue of service", the district has participated in this before. This is one of the few welfare programs I am a fan of. The schools have the location and infrastructure in place, and like it or not there are kids in our community that go to bed hungry at night. This seems like a no brainer to me. I understand that some people are deadbeats, but a family's financial situation is not the fault of a 5 yr old.
Stupe
S
LSCSN said:

You can smart off all that you want with that little line, but it doesn't come across as witty, it comes across as ignorant.

Kids are unwitting participants in the bad decisions of their parents and are usually helpless to change anything until they get into high school and can work.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Some people believe the propaganda. Pay more taxes serf so I can give away more free stuff.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Stupe said:

LSCSN said:

You can smart off all that you want with that little line, but it doesn't come across as witty, it comes across as ignorant.

Kids are unwitting participants in the bad decisions of their parents and are usually helpless to change anything until they get into high school and can work.
And you think by us/federal government continuing to do this, this will not incentives idiot parent/s to continue to not to provide for their damn kids??
BCSWguru
ahh yes, so ignorant. you got me.
befitter
Turf96 said:

I get that proper nutrition is important to brain development. What I don't get is why the parent is no longer responsible for the welfare of their children. Why does the government need to be responsible for raising their children? Then on next level why does a school district have to administer this program? At some point responsibility should be on the people that reproduce but do nothing after that. School districts are in place to educate not become a form of social welfare.

If everything was all good in our school district sure take on more but I believe every side would say the school district needs to focus on handleing the issues they are in place to do before they reach out to new avenues of service. Pretty sure this message board alone shows that we have issues that need to be handled above feeding children of lazy individuals.

I respect you as a poster very much so not trying to combat you. Just think we see forced welfare differently. I'm tired of paying to care for the portion of society that refuses to get on board and work to make out community a better place.
Obviously you have no idea that kids on free and reduced lunch often have their only meal of the day at school. Summer can be a significant problem for these children. CSISD should have no problem whatsoever offering this to kids who have no control over their parents or their parents ability to feed them adequately. Kids that are hungry are not worried about their education...they are worried about their stomachs. Kids that are hungry have more illness and general health problems, and overall have more behavior problems.

If that's not enough.....how about....it's just the right thing to do. Sheesh.
Stupe
S
Quote:

And you think by us/federal government continuing to do this, this will not incentives idiot parent/s to continue to not to provide for their damn kids??

I don't think that lazy adults will changer their behavior no matter what they are given or not given. In this case, they will just feed their kids more junk food.

I also don't think that kids should go without a decent meal from time to time during the summer just because their parents can't afford it.

And, not everyone that has to use this program is lazy. Hard working people can fall on hard times and I have no issue helping out people that are trying to dig themselves out of a hole.

And before you or anyone else plays the "bleeding heart liberal" card, I'm about as close to a straight party (R) voter as you can get.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
"Can't afford it" or choose to spend their money on stuff other than food for their kids. It should be a crime to not care for your kids and to spend government subsidies on anything beyond food&shelter.
cslifer
I love a good internet debate as much as the next guy, but I am sad that we live in a town where people are debating if we should feed hungry children or not.
MarineBQ04
AG
We went from a family of 4 to a family of 7 and went from 2 incomes to 1. None of this we chose. We use programs like this while we get back on our 2 feet. We by no means are lazy nor are we trying to get the government to pay for everything. I'm about conservative as they come, but understand sometimes stopgaps are needed.
isitjustme
AG
I'm happy the local school districts feed kids during summer that might not the get fed otherwise. It is not the kids' fault their parents can't feed them.

But I do believe that parents know this and similar types of assistance will be available, and, as a result, this changes their decisions such that they are less likely to make sure they can feed their own kids. Also, I don't think adults should be able to get even reduced-price meals. It should be for the children only.

And for the previous poster who indicated their family needed a temporary hand up, I applaud that. These typeS of programs are supposed to be temporary, not generationally continuous.
BCStalk
The level of stupidity in here is unreal. If my tax dollars, federal or local, have to go to this program, I am perfectly fine with it. I'm already feeding plenty of people with my tax dollars across the nation. Not a bad thing to keep it local.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Yes, starting with yours
BCStalk
I couldn't care less
BCSWguru
Does Bryan offer a similar program?
MarineBQ04
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kagstv.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&headline=local-school-districts-will-provide-free-summer-meal-program&contentId=499-559733664
MTTANK
AG
I am pretty conservative, but feel like this program is a good thing. When my sister was teaching kindergarten, she told me some pretty disparaging things about some of the parents treatment of their kids. She taught in a school that was in a real low income area, not a school in CS is anywhere near as impoverished. She said many of her students on free or reduced lunch plans were dropped off by parents driving lexus and mercedes. These parents were dressed up in designer clothes. She said they would drop their kids off in the winter unbathed, wearing shorts, no socks, holes in their shoes, clothes that they had clearly grown out of. Not only that, but that these kids would show up unfed, and be so hungry they could not function in class. She spent a ton of her own money keeping these kids fed, always brought stuff to school for them. I doubt she was allowed to do it, but did. I always made it a point to give her some money to help with supplies and some of these kids. I have to agree with Stupe, the meal provided could well be the only one they get every day. When it comes to kids, it really is not their fault. CSISD does a terrible job with our tax dollars, and burns millions on bureaucratic illogical garbage. I would say this program actually benefits the kids directly, and how our money should be spent.
GIG 'EM
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

I'm happy the local school districts feed kids during summer that might not the get fed otherwise. It is not the kids' fault their parents can't feed them.

But I do believe that parents know this and similar types of assistance will be available, and, as a result, this changes their decisions such that they are less likely to make sure they can feed their own kids. Also, I don't think adults should be able to get even reduced-price meals. It should be for the children only.

And for the previous poster who indicated their family needed a temporary hand up, I applaud that. These typeS of programs are supposed to be temporary, not generationally continuous.
Keep in mind, it's not just for the poor College Station kids. Anybody can use this service. It's free to all kids, you don't have to show a Lonestar Card or anything.

Also, I'm not sure the adult meals are "reduced price" so much when you consider it's a huge government bulk food purchase. I bet it's close to what it cost them. Not a bad way for parents to eat out with their kids, actually.
txgardengirl
And seniors

I've volunteered at the Lincoln Center - the people are amazing and many raising their grandkids on a meager social security check.
Justin2010
AG
There were already churches doing this.

And regarding free/reduced price lunch: why do we consider letting your kids go to the park alone child abuse, but not the inability and/or refusal to feed your kids?

Free and reduced lunch should be temporary. Everyone gets down on their luck and bad things happen. So your kids get 2 or 3 months free if they need it. Still can't feed them? Call CPS. Maybe the parents would then decide to choose buying food instead of cell phones and TV's.

/Rant.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
txgardengirl said:

And seniors

I've volunteered at the Lincoln Center - the people are amazing and many raising their grandkids on a meager social security check.
Yes, because there are no jobs in the area for those who can work.
Or food banks where there is food available for nothing.
Or laws where you can make people support their children.

Let's have everyone else pay for your kids.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
lost my dog
Matthew 25:40-45

(and before you tell me churches should be the ones doing the feeding, show me one church that has the resources available to the USDA)
Muzzleblast
Nothing in life is free but the grace of God.

These programs only bait the dependency trap to normalize an underclass.

The money is better spent reducing single motherhood through education.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
lost my dog said:

(and before you tell me churches should be the ones doing the feeding, show me one church that has the resources available to the USDA)
You should take your argument to the religion board but since you brought it up:

2nd Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

All of the feeding done in the bible were for miracles on a teaching basis.

There is no example for us for any organization, government, denomination etc to continually feed someone.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
jeffk
AG
It's incredibly difficult to find ways to hold parents to higher standards that don't also penalize their children.
Jetty
AG
People saying don't let the kids eat should come volunteer with us at The Brazos Church Pantry.
After interviewing a few families I think you'd feel differently.
JimInBCS
pepe the dog said:

lost my dog said:

You should take your argument to the religion board but since you brought it up:

2nd Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

All of the feeding done in the bible were for miracles on a teaching basis.

There is no example for us for any organization, government, denomination etc to continually feed someone.

The free meals are for the children, most of whom are too young to have jobs even if they were "willing to work".

There's plenty of places in the budget that need to be cut. Providing meals to children who otherwise may go hungry isn't one of them.
TLIAC
AG
I am seriously amazed that people are complaining that local districts are taking advantage of federal money to feed our local kids. The money is there if B/CS doesn't use it some other city will. It's not like the money is going to come back to us if we don't use it for our local kids. Like others have said, we can't blame the kids if the parents are abusing the system. Let the kids know that someone cares if they are hungry.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.