AT&T vs T-Mobile

4,289 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by thann07
Lovebird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We currently have AT&T with 2 lines unlimited everything, but we have been thinking about switching to T-Mobile. Wanted to hear feedback from people that have T-Mobile to see what they experience as far as coverage/dropped calls etc. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: We live in Bryan, but do travel the surrounding counties.
momlaw
AG
We've had Tmobile here almost 15 years.
Initially was awful in home, had to get boosters, gripe to them, etc.
We have not had problems in the last 5 years with equipment and signal upgrades.

Not so great in the boonies, though they are working a merger with Sprint and upgrade to G5.... if the powers that be allow.
momlaw
FritoRay
Do you like ATT service?
If you do switch to Cricket.
Same exact service (Cricket is owned by ATT)
Cheaper price.

We switched from unlimited ATT for 200 dollars a month for 4 phones down to 100 with no change in service. You can also use your ATT phone. If you're in CS Kroger has free activation. (Need alone coupon per phone). If you know someone on Cricket you each get 25 dollars off one bill.
CollegeStationMaid
I absolutely hate T-Mobile. It does not work out off of Hardy weedon Road and it does not work at Indian lakes or Miramonte. It doesn't work on Crystal Beach on Bolivar

When you get into the country it's very hit-and-miss
JMac03
AG
I was with Verizon forever before I got married 12 years ago, then switched to AT&T. Was with AT&T for 10 years and switched to T-Mobile for 6 months. I service was much worse with T-Mobile, here and all across the US. Lots of dead spots. My phone didn't work halfway between here and Dallas for one trip. Hubs had lots or problems traveling too.

Was it terrible? No. Was it worth the savings? Absolutely not. It was great for the 2 weeks I was abroad and everything was included. But thats about it.
CN
T-Mobile data is very fast, includes hot spotting, warns you about spam calls when it can, and is much cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. But there are lots of dead spots. I finally had to drop it once my parents moved to Castlegate II as there's no signal out there. The signal isn't all that great for AT&T out there either but it's still better than no signal at all.
Stucco
AT&T also has a pre-paid option similar to a Cricket offering.
TXCityGirl
I've been wanting to ask this question. We've had Verizon forever and love the coverage. But the cost is crazy for just two users. Does Verizon have a "Cricket" type option? Anyone else have experience with Cricket Wireless as well?
tfunk02
AG
Cricket is throttled so it isn't exactly the same as AT&T. You can't go faster than 8Mbps, but many may not notice that.

Here's a list of various MVNO's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

I hear great things about GoogleFi and Xfinity (if you have their cable) is on Verizon's network.
CN
I paid $100 total for 2 lines on T-Mobile that included high speed unlimited data and 10GB of hotspotting per line. I switched to Cricket and paid $100 total for 2 lines that included throttled unlimited data and one line of hotspotting.

I recently switched to AT&T prepaid for $78 total ($40 for first line + $30 for second line + taxes) which includes 8GB of high speed data + 8GB of bonus data. Unused non-bonus data rolls over and hotspotting is included. I don't think I've ever used more than 5GB data in one month so 16GB+ is more than enough for me. This offer ends in mid July. SIM card is free. Signing up for AT&T prepaid online for more than one line is a PITA so I recommend doing it at one of the local stores. Cricket charges extra if you don't signup online.
Lovebird
I would love to do the AT&T prepaid but between me and my husband we use about 60GB a month. No WiFi at home. So unlimited would be our only option.
Lovebird
I really appreciate the responses, sounds like I won't go with T-Mobile as the coverage sounds patchy. I will check out Cricket. How noticeable would the throttled speed of Cricket be if we're used to AT&T speed?
Ajollyag
TXCityGirl said:

I've been wanting to ask this question. We've had Verizon forever and love the coverage. But the cost is crazy for just two users. Does Verizon have a "Cricket" type option? Anyone else have experience with Cricket Wireless as well?

I believe I remember reading somewhere that "Straight Talk" is Verizon's version of Cricket.
nwspmp
It really depends on your location and where you go. And your phone; T-Mobile has done a number of upgrades to service and coverage and some of the older phones just don't have the bands to use the newer upgrades.

I have a GS9 and iPhone XS and my wife has an iPhone 8+. We rarely have any drops or signal issues and coverage is fairly close to what we had when we had AT&T. My phones with the 600MHz bands do better than her phone without. Her phone does have the 700MHz bands, which is better than our earlier phones on T-Mobile, but is still rolling out. Note: both 600MHz and 700MHz bands are in B/CS. Also Note: When I signed up with T-Mobile 8 years ago, that was definitely *not* the case. Now, we go up to Arlington probably once per month and down to Houston, Katy and Austin often and rarely if ever have signal drops.

T-Mobile doesn't have any contracts on the service itself and has a 14-day return policy, so if you were considering it, you could get a phone, try the service and see if it works well for you and if not, return within the 14-day window and be on your way. You also can setup a second line to test the service before moving your number, test it and then if good, migrate your line over and cancel the second line.

For me, the service is VERY good in the B/CS area and if there are drops along the path to Arlington, Austin, Houston, Katy, then we rarely if ever see them.
CN
Lovebird said:

I really appreciate the responses, sounds like I won't go with T-Mobile as the coverage sounds patchy. I will check out Cricket. How noticeable would the throttled speed of Cricket be if we're used to AT&T speed?
I would've stayed with T-Mobile if it wasn't for the fact there was no coverage in the Castlegate area. My parents haven't moved into their home there permanently yet so they don't have broadband service. If they did, I probably still would've stayed on T-Mobile and enabled wifi calling for use at their home.

If you don't live in or rarely go to the southwest College Station/Wellborn area, T-Mobile is just fine.
EMY92
AG
I switched to T-Mobile from ATT two years ago.

The positives are that TM has much faster data speeds that I ever experienced on ATT. On ATT, I used to get 8 Mbps down and less than 2 up. TM I usually get 50+ down and 15-20 up. I just got back from Ireland, in most countries, you have free texting and data at no charge. I can upgrade for a month to guarantee the highest data speeds and unlimited phone calls to most places in the world.

The downside is that TM can be non-existent in some rural areas.

I added my sister to my plan and pay on third less for unlimited everything (2 lines) than I did for a single line with data limits on ATT.
jja79
AG
Only place I've had an issue is around Camp Allen on 362 in Grimes County, out near Blue Moon BBQ on OSR and the southern end of the King Ranch south of the border patrol stop. Listen to Pandora via bluetooth while driving. Used 77 GB data last month and it just rolls along with no slow downs. Son uses it as a mobile hotspot for XBox. $110 for 2 lines.
jagouar1
AG
The only issue I've had is about a 10 mile stretch on hwy21 near dimebox with tmobile. I actually live near castlegate (the new phase of creek meadows) and get good signal there when I drive through Castlegate or visit friends there but I do have a newer phone that can see tmobiles longer range network.
nwspmp
EMY92 said:

I just got back from Ireland, in most countries, you have free texting and data at no charge. I can upgrade for a month to guarantee the highest data speeds and unlimited phone calls to most places in the world.

That is definitely one other benefit. I went to China last year and took my (at the time) iPhone 7+, and when I landed, turned the phone on and got "Welcome to China from T-Mobile" (or something like that) and it just worked. Phone calls, texts, slow data, all worked. In fact, the only thing that didn't work reliably was Google searches; sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. Extra cost - None.
patrick.redmill
ajolly said:

TXCityGirl said:

I believe I remember reading somewhere that "Straight Talk" is Verizon's version of Cricket.

Verizon MVNOs are Visible Wireless and Red Pocket. My wife uses the former. It's ... Ok.

I've used all four major networks out here and I don't really recommend Sprint or Verizon. Verizon (and it's MVNOs) are overrated and expensive. Sprint just sucks.

AT&T MVNOs are the sweet spot in this area, IMO. Lots of folks bring up Cricket. For good reason, it's inexpensive, fast enough (for most people), and connectivity is the best you can get.

T-Mobile and it's MVNOs are underrated, IMO. It's true, the connectivity isn't great on the margins of town. It's dirt cheap and the speeds are awesome. If you live and work in town, it's worth considering. Mint Sim is REALLY cheap and I am probably jumping to that soon.
TKDMom
We've had T-Mobile since 2007 or so. We switched from Verizon over their less than stellar customer service. We had some issues a couple of years ago with connections in rural areas. We got new phones (our phones were really old) and now that our phones can access the new towers, we haven't had any issues.
MisterShipWreck
I had TMobile for a few years - but there was no service in the middle of Caldwell. I never could get service until I passed the Pizza Hut. I switched to Verizon, and later to ATT prepaid.

Last year, I put my son on TMobile prepaid - and I spoke with the T-mobile rep in the store about my previous experience with TMobile... I was told that my previous negative experiences were a thing of the past.

Well, my son had TMobile for a couple of months, and then I switched him to consumer cellular. On T-Mobile, if he went inside the building at school, he got zero service. It was useless for him. I spoke with a few others who also told me that TMobile service in the B/CS area left a lot to be desired.

My son is now on ATT prepaid, like I am.
leathal02
AG
I have att in Brenham. I am approximately 1 mile from the tower. Outside my house I just speed tested and had 114 down and 32 up. Att's Signal does not penetrate buildings via LTE like 4g does. But when you have 3 bars on iPhone it's usually pretty fast. I am a security contractor with cell communicators. Lately Verizon has been more consistent with cell signal strength quality. Att has catching up to do, as I hope 5g is better. LTE has a lot to be desired in my opinion unless your right next to a tower.
Justin2010
AG
I've had tmo for years. It's solid. Mostly reliable. There are no dead zones in bcs that I know of. Out in the country it can be pretty spotty. But on most roads bigger than 2-lanes, even in rural areas, it works great.

Plus the customer service is fantastic. I had an issue several years ago that service reps couldn't help me with and pissed me off really bad. Emailed the CEO and got a call from a guy on "the executive customer service" team who gave me like a $250 bill credit to basically buy a new phone (long story, but I was impressed).
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
CollegeStationMaid said:

I absolutely hate T-Mobile. It does not work out off of Hardy weedon Road and it does not work at Indian lakes or Miramonte. It doesn't work on Crystal Beach on Bolivar

When you get into the country it's very hit-and-miss
When I switched to T Mobile years ago, I did so because of no contract. You could cancel anytime with no penalty.

I suppose that is still possible.

If you are not happy with your reception why don't you just cancel?

I no longer live in BCS but when I return I never have the problems in which you speak.

I have used Sprint, Verizon and AT&T too, They all have bad reception areas but the 30 day cancellation policy is gold.

Don't get caught in a long term contract with any supplier.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Chase
AG
patrick.redmill said:

ajolly said:

TXCityGirl said:

Verizon MVNOs are Visible Wireless and Red Pocket. My wife uses the former. It's ... Ok.

I've used all four major networks out here and I don't really recommend Sprint or Verizon. Verizon (and it's MVNOs) are overrated and expensive. Sprint just sucks.

AT&T MVNOs are the sweet spot in this area, IMO. Lots of folks bring up Cricket. For good reason, it's inexpensive, fast enough (for most people), and connectivity is the best you can get.

T-Mobile and it's MVNOs are underrated, IMO. It's true, the connectivity isn't great on the margins of town. It's dirt cheap and the speeds are awesome. If you live and work in town, it's worth considering. Mint Sim is REALLY cheap and I am probably jumping to that soon.
Can you tell me more about Visible in B/CS?
thann07
AG
I'm wondering about AT&T coverage versus Verizon in SW CS/Wellborn (Mission Ranch). My perception is Verizon is significantly better in rural areas (my parents get much better service on Verizon at our place near Gause), and I'm wondering that holds true there as well. We're building in Mission Ranch (I currently live in Houston), and I noticed the other day some pretty soft coverage around the neighborhood when we were looking around at lots. I am wondering if we should make the switch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.