OLD speaker system repair?

1,498 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MikeTV
farmersfight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just inherited an old Macintosh pre-amplifier and power amp along with some floor speakers. The speakers need to have the foam replaced around the cones.

This system is beyond me and I don't have any equipment to test this stuff out. Is there anyone in the area I can take the equipment to about checking it out?
UmustBKidding
You can buy the foam support surrounds on eBay and Amazon for many models/brand speakers. Typically they come with straight forward instructions.
I would avoid dragging stuff around. If the preamp or amp are known broken there is a local guy who might look at it I know, but you should be able to find a YouTube video of a minimal connection set to be able to see if it's working or not.
Don't call twit squad/magnolia. The mactonish stuff is simple and quality and not hard to work with. As such it's likely still operational.
tfunk02
AG
You might have to go to Houston if you don't want to DIY it.

I've taken many speakers to this guy. It's a hole in the wall, but he does a good job.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/allen-speaker-reconing-houston
Tim Weaver
+1 for Allen Speaker. In my professional life I've been using him for recones for over 20 years. And his shop has always looked that way.
MikeTV
McIntosh is truly high quality equipment. Before you do anything, you should contact the manufacturer at www.mcintoshlabs.com and get their advice. If you want local help, feel free to contact me directly, we are a McIntosh dealer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.