Pool tiles

2,219 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cartographer
poolgirl1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any suggestions on who I can use to get the white scale off the pool tiles on side of pool?
Cartographer
You will pay a lot of money to have someone do this. Just a heads up. I'd contact one of the larger companies in town and have them give you a quote. Pool guy, maybe Mobley.
halibut sinclair
JR Ewing
AG
Is it from salt water? I'm thinking of building a salt water pool one day...
Cartographer
It is not a consequence of salt water at all.

It is related to pH being too high (alkaline).

Our water comes out of the tap at a very high pH and so maintaining the chemistry is the only reliable way to minimize this build up.
poolgirl1
Any suggestions??
meezermom
We bought a pumice stone off Amazon and did ours last summer. It definitely doesn't last forever (needs to be redone already) but it's not difficult and a LOT less expensive than hiring someone to do it for you. We also bought some sort of chemical cleanser for this at The Pool Guy, but we haven't tried it since using the pumice stone didn't introduce any more chemicals to the pool and we didn't want to mess up our chemistry.
Cartographer
meezermom is exactly right. Pumice stone and balanced chemistry is the best way to fix this.

The companies will charge you a good bit because it is time consuming and there are no real quick fixes. Generally they will use a diluted muriatic acid and pumice stone or brush to try and brush it off.

I'd suggest some pumice stones and some elbow grease. Also don't try the muriatic acid dilution on your own. That is diluted hydrochloric acid and it will burn your skin immediately on contact.

I think I have opened more cans of worms here but, pumice stone and time will be cheaper than any pool company.

If you want to call someone for an estimate I still suggest the Pool Guy and Mobley. A bigger service company will have the bandwidth to actually get someone out to do the work in this their busiest season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.