Data Might Show Little Impact to Shipley Do-nuts After Krispy Kreme Opening

7,407 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IWannaGoFast1
Charli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So glad KK is in town! Now my dessert and late night donut craves can be satisfied

Unfortunately, Shipley's has not figured out that donuts are not just for breakfast.
Nosh
Arguing over which obesity shop will give you a higher quality diabetes.
Aggie_Brad
Cannot wait for KK Kolaches!! I dream of a Krispy Kreme-Slovacek Sausage duo!!!!
BrazosDog02
AG
Holy cow. I literally have never known a human being that prefers any other brand of donut when Krispy Kreme is an option. Interesting. It's like a Chevy vs Ford argument except your arguing Chevy Malibu vs Ford Formula 1. Not really an argument to be had as the products aren't even in the same category other than they both have round wheels.
jja79
AG
Maybe that's why Shipleys didn't have a bunch of franchisees go bankrupt and have to reorganize. They know when donuts sell the best.
75AG
AG
jja79 said:

Maybe that's why Shipleys didn't have a bunch of franchisees go bankrupt and have to reorganize. They know when donuts sell the best.

Maybe. Or maybe it's because for years they hired illegals, paid them squat, while the Shipley family got rich.
jja79
AG
Those guys make delicious donuts whatever their status.

If only other businesses could follow that business model they too could be successful.
75AG
AG
jja79 said:

Those guys make delicious donuts whatever their status.

If only other businesses could follow that business model they too could be successful.
They do make damn good donuts
AggieBaseball06
AG
75AG said:

jja79 said:

Maybe. Or maybe it's because for years they hired illegals, paid them squat, while the Shipley family got rich.
Tariny
The husband and I tried KK a couple of weekends ago, we were not impressed. We probably made a mistake in getting the donut holes, which were cold, doughy in the middle, and the glaze made the roof of my mouth feel greasy. Their iced coffee was decent, and cheap, so I may give their donuts another try, but next time I will get a legit donut and not just their middle.

To me, Shipley's is not what it used to be, something has changed. Their sausage kolaches (aka pigs in a blanket) have definitely changed, and not for the better.
Goose83
AG
Didn't realize that there were so many communists, excuse me, Krispy Kreme eaters here in Bryan/College Station.

Shipleys or GTFO.
Jsimonds58
AG
Yes there are some of us here who haven't managed to deaden our taste buds and appreciate a good donut. KK for life
jja79
AG
Best thing about KK is that since their donuts are tiny you can eat more.
Nosh
jja79 said:

Best thing about KK is that since their donuts are tiny you can eat more.

That's the spirit! Fill that gullet!
jja79
AG
I'll stick with Shipleys.
ro828
Two pages of postings, and everyone overlooks the most obvious. Whether Shipley's is "better" or not is a matter of opinion, and can't be resolved. But the fact is that Krispy Kreme is open much, much later. So it's like they aren't really in competition.

By the way, am I the only one in the room who remembers many years ago when Krispy Kreme out of Houston would send a delivery truck delivering donuts to local stores? We'd go to a Texaco convenience store on Villa Maria at about 11:30 pm to buy donuts.
UmustBKidding
I suspect most of the stock holders at the time remember. They took their premium brand and flushed their reputation by baking billions in an industrial complex and delivered them hours later cold and lifeless to far less than premium locations. There were multiple case studies about how this likely the reason their profits were down, can't charge a premium for doughnuts at the bodega and if they were cheap their the very expensive stores caught flack if they tried to charge more.
australopithecus robustus
I eat donuts very infrequently. However, I'm very enthused that there's a great donut in town now.

I'm no longer forced to go to Shipley's for my kids and they can now grow up with a fond memory of a quality donut!
UmustBKidding
Can't believe there has not been been they are all trash only round Rock doughnuts are acceptable. Personally can eat either but we had spudnuts when I grew up and remember them fondly.
saltydog13
AG
I'm going to go with neither because they don't open until 6am. There are plenty of folks out there that have to be at work before then
PS3D
ro828 said:

Two pages of postings, and everyone overlooks the most obvious. Whether Shipley's is "better" or not is a matter of opinion, and can't be resolved. But the fact is that Krispy Kreme is open much, much later. So it's like they aren't really in competition.

By the way, am I the only one in the room who remembers many years ago when Krispy Kreme out of Houston would send a delivery truck delivering donuts to local stores? We'd go to a Texaco convenience store on Villa Maria at about 11:30 pm to buy donuts.
Yeah, around 2004 plus or minus a year, not long after the Texaco brand pretty much disappeared from the area to become Shell stations, and only at the nicer/better/newer stores. There used to be a rather large Texaco station at the northeast corner of Villa Maria and Texas that became a Shell before it was torn down along with China Garden for a Walgreens. I seem to remember it only lasted maybe five years.

I don't know if Houston had a central commissary, they had regular stores until 2006.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Can't believe there has not been been they are all trash only round Rock doughnuts are acceptable. Personally can eat either but we had spudnuts when I grew up and remember them fondly.

Funny you say this. I once took a late night/early morning road trip to Round Rock the night before a test to get their donuts fresh. I had never had them, but one of the guys and a girl in our group said they were the best, so off we went. I left disappointed and then failed my test.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.