Changes for the City of Bryan After the 100,000 Population Mark

6,720 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Captn_Ag05
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With Bryan finally approaching the 100,000 population mark, what will change for the city? I know many retailers begin to look at a city differently when it passes the 100,000 mark.

There are several new neighborhoods going up that will help the city get to this point including but not limited to Pleasant Hill (I believe nearly 1000 homes), Oakmont (700+ Homes), Yaupon Trails, and Rudder Pointe.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Homes-under-construction-at-new-Oakmont-development-in-Bryan-509235441.html
EMY92
AG
Retailers won't look at Bryan any differently. BCS is one integrated market, that is what they will look at.
oklaunion
I think a city's ETJ increases substantially once that population is attained. Not good news for those affected usually.
bcstx06
EMY92 said:

Retailers won't look at Bryan any differently. BCS is one integrated market, that is what they will look at.

I agree that it is an integrated market, but it's not a small integrated market like it use to be. Look at South College Station for example, many of the businesses there replicate what already exists in the middle of town; PetSmart, IHOP, Blue Baker, RX Pizza, etc.

So this may be an integrated market, but there is enough growth for "sub markets" within the market.

Just 10 years ago this area had 1 Super Walmart, one smaller Walmart, 1 Target and 3 HEBs. Today there are 3 Super Walmarts, 2 Targets, and 5 HEBs. And I could go on...
duffelpud
AG
Expect more urban outdoorsmen at underpasses and WM parking lots.
"What's this button do?"
ro828
We keep growing but still no Buc-ee's, still no Waffle House.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Bucees continues to look for a location per the CS economic development director. They want to be here but need a location that makes sense. If I had to guess, if there is one it will end up on 6 near the Speedway location.
Rexter
They should build on or near the proposed I-14 path
bcstx06
Where exactly is the I-14 corridor?
Rexter
It follows US 190

bcstx06
So I-14 is coming if from West of Hearne, the straight down Hwy 6 to Bryan until it gets to Hwy 21 then it will head East. That's a lot of turns. I don't see how they will make that work. Also, I can't see this interstate going through Hearne. And know one has really mentioned it seriously.
Rexter
bcstx06 said:

So I-14 is coming if from West of Hearne, the straight down Hwy 6 to Bryan until it gets to Hwy 21 then it will head East. That's a lot of turns. I don't see how they will make that work. Also, I can't see this interstate going through Hearne. And know one has really mentioned it seriously.

https://carter.house.gov/press-releases/texas-leaders-reintroduce-i14-legislation/

The above link is for expansion to the original plan, which is in progress.

Your local mayors and others were in DC last week pushing for the additional funding to get it going this way. Belton to Killeen is already done.
techno-ag
AG
bcstx06 said:

There has been a discussion of using 30 from Huntsville to CStat as an alternate, but with the expansion of most of 21 so far to 4 lanes between Bryan and Madisonville, it may make more economic sense to upgrade that stretch to Interstate quality.

As for Hearne, I think long term plans are for a bypass connecting 6 and 79 with a loop. The interstate would surely follow those plans.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Going back to the 100K mark. I heard the Bryan mayor talking about it on WTAW yesterday as well. When is the realistic expectation of Bryan hitting 100K?

The last population estimate I saw for Bryan was around 88K. If that is the case, then at the current growth rate, the 100K number won't be hit for five years.
bcstx06
It makes me smile that Scott DeLucia asked about the 100,000 population mark on his radio show. That means people are reading this forum! Thanks Scott!

I also wanted to mention that the mayor says how nice Texas Ave looks. Where? On the College Station side? The repayment was nice on the Bryan side but it's still an ugly street. It's should have been widened to 3 lanes like the College Station side, power lines removed and businesses redeveloped.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Scott, if you are reading this, I would like to hear some conversations with the representatives from both Bryan and College Station on their efforts to bring employers and employment opportunity to BCS.

I think Jay Socol and Natalie Ruiz do a good job providing updates on retail and restaurants coming to College Station, but I never hear anything about other commercial development - or organized efforts to get employers to the area.
saltydog13
AG
Why power lines removed?
BryanPooch
If the Census asks the citizenship question, Bryan may fall just short of 100,000. It then will take annexation of the area near Rellis with concomitant growth.
BryanPooch
isitjustme
AG
saltydog13 said:

Why power lines removed?
Some people believe that the removal of visible power lines is a silver bullet for aesthetics and economic development. The cost of this is huge and there is no evidence that it spurs economic development.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah I was just curious if the poster wanting that knew of the insane costs that have absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

saltydog13 said:

Why power lines removed?
Some people believe that the removal of visible power lines is a silver bullet for aesthetics and economic development. The cost of this is huge and there is no evidence that it spurs economic development.
One idea discussed at one time was to simply move them back off Texas. This is cheaper. To the city's credit, a lot has been buried lately. Suddenlink and Frontier have slowed things down a bit, and the weather certainly hasn't cooperated, but it's getting there.
bcstx06
Well its 3 years later, the city has finally started removing power lines along Texas Ave and the street is being updated with the help of TxDot. But one question still remains, how close is Bryan to having a 100,000+ population? It seems like with all the addition of all the new neighborhoods that a population of 100,000 would have been reached already.
duffelpud
AG
bcstx06 said:

...how close is Bryan to having a 100,000+ population? It seems like with all the addition of all the new neighborhoods that a population of 100,000 would have been reached already.

If you add documented to the 'Un' I'm sure we're well past that number. It's just so hard to nail the 'un' down - just ask the southern border.
"What's this button do?"
BCS-Ag
Captn_Ag05 said:

Scott, if you are reading this, I would like to hear some conversations with the representatives from both Bryan and College Station on their efforts to bring employers and employment opportunity to BCS.

I think Jay Socol and Natalie Ruiz do a good job providing updates on retail and restaurants coming to College Station, but I never hear anything about other commercial development - or organized efforts to get employers to the area.

For this they would need to interview the leadership of the BVEDC. That is who handles non retail economic development for the entire community. I'd suggest getting a guess that is not in leadership of either of the cities, too much contention between them. Perhaps someone from the county or A&M that is on their board.
pacecar02
EMY92 said:

When will the cities do this, consider themselves one city?

halibut sinclair
pacecar02 said:

EMY92 said:

Never
bcstx06
pacecar02 said:

EMY92 said:

They won't, but the retailers that come here for the most part would not locate here without the population of both cities. Do you think CostCo would have come here with just the population of College Station? No. Same with places like Bigshots. If both cities didn't have the populations that they do, I could imagine TAMU and the surrounding area being like a Huntsville and Sam Houston University sized area.

With just the RELLIS Campus alone, the City of Bryan has a bright future! If you think of it as just a college campus then you could maybe say it's not that special or unique, but when you look at the bigger picture (Bush Combat, data center, etc) this will lead to an explosion of growth for the entire area.
Captn_Ag05
AG
bcstx06 said:

With just the RELLIS Campus alone, the City of Bryan has a bright future! If you think of it as just a college campus then you could maybe say it's not that special or unique, but when you look at the bigger picture (Bush Combat, data center, etc) this will lead to an explosion of growth for the entire area.

47 between the Health Science Center and RELLIS is prime for development, IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.