Interesting CHI/St Joseph rumor...

13,162 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jac4
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you know something about the financial performance of that facility we don't?
jaborch99
S
The largest taxpayer in CS just went non-profit.
Brewmaster
AG
I'd disagree. I've been to all 3 and have had surgery three times, 2 at the med and 1 at St. Joe's -- both by 2 of the best surgeons anywhere. My S&W experiences involved them price gouging me and trying to charge me out the nose for everything under the sun. I'll never go back.
gettingitdone
Unless things have changed, SW isn't accepting any new Medicaid patients. This excludes the ER.
cslifer
You missed my point, there are folks in town that don't like joes. They used to have the option of the med or s&w, now they will all end up at s&w. I would call that a win for them.
Brewmaster
AG
Heard you loud n clear, I just don't agree with you. S&W doesn't exactly have a stellar rep in town.
bcstx06
Less choices in town for medical care is never a good thing.
AggiePhil
AG
cslifer said:

You missed my point, there are folks in town that don't like joes. They used to have the option of the med or s&w, now they will all end up at s&w. I would call that a win for them.

There are an equal (or greater) number who didn't like The MED. I've always joked that MED stands for Medically Expedited Death!
kyledr04
AG
cslifer said:

Do you know something about the financial performance of that facility we don't?

Not directly but had heard they were struggling from a few different people that I feel would know. They'd already some staff and service lines. For profit, full service hospitals are tough operations these days anyway. I don't think they had the volume to make it and pay taxes.
cslifer
And still missed my point. It is funny that anyone thinks putting a new sign out front is going to change much of anything though. So now we have fewer choices which is never good, and one of the largest, if not the largest tax payer in town went to a non profit. But please go on and explain how this is in any way good for the community.
AggiePhil
AG
Sure would be a shame.
cslifer
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hospital-acquisition-could-cost-College-Station-thousands-in-property-taxes-510363361.html
drred4
So what if it closed? Impact would be much more than not for profit. Not everyone likes to go to S&W either. Each hospital has pros and cons. CHS due to their huge debts caused tons of pain on what that facility could have actually been. Now at least most all those employees have a future and something to look forward to, or have some knowledge of the future. But understand the deal is not finished Hermann opted out of the S&W merger at last second.
EBrazosAg
AG
91_Aggie said:

EBrazosAg said:

CSMC been for sale for years. Don't bet money on the CHI thing. Would have already happened if it was likely ....
Dang, should have bet money on this!

No doubt!!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nought
AG
cslifer said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hospital-acquisition-could-cost-College-Station-thousands-in-property-taxes-510363361.html

And another headline from nearly the same day on the web is this:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-gateway-sign-approved-for-SH-6-in-south-College-Station-510365041.html

Great -- a new "gateway" sign to the tune of almost $150,000. Didn't we just get a new gateway sign a few years ago?

It seems our city leaders need a refresher course on the difference between "needs" and "wants".
Oogway
This is why certificates of obligation (debt the council can take on w/o a vote by the electorate) are troublesome. If you missed that they just took on $82 million in c.o. debt, here (the sign) is one of the things they chose to spend it on. Do we need road maintenance and infrastructure? Sure. Do we need ongoing park maintenance for items not covered under HOT funds. Probably. But there are sidewalks in some of the older neighborhoods that are tripping hazards due to heaving and other issues and some neighborhoods lack any sidewalk at all for students who walk to school. (Not looking at Foxfire as they have restrictions). Seems they could get those taken care of.
gettingitdone
Why is there no complaint of SW not paying taxes?
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Is maybe the SW not paying temporary and an abatement to get them here for a numbered year term? I have absolutely no idea.

In terms of the SW and patients moving over there.... now there's one medical place (hospital) in a college town that has doctors under it with the ability to prescribe birth control from what I understand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
Gigem314
AG
BREwmaster said:

Heard you loud n clear, I just don't agree with you. S&W doesn't exactly have a stellar rep in town.
They certainly don't. They certainly seemed to burned their bridges with A&M and its residency programs.

On top of that, Baylor Scott & White as a whole doesn't seem to be in the greatest place financially. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bought out at some point.
cslifer
That land was ag exempt to start with, so very minimal loss. This is going from tax paying to not.
KidDoc
AG
AGGODDESS said:

Is maybe the SW not paying temporary and an abatement to get them here for a numbered year term? I have absolutely no idea.

In terms of the SW and patients moving over there.... now there's one medical place (hospital) in a college town that has doctors under it with the ability to prescribe birth control from what I understand.
Brazos Valley Women's is aligned with CHI-St Joseph but not directly employed by them so are not effected by the Catholic point of view for birth control.

edit: now when you are talking about inpatient or even outpatient permanent surgical sterilization that is likely becoming an issue for this area.

edit: grammar
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
That makes sense... glad there's some options!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
EBrazosAg
AG
AGGODDESS said:

That makes sense... glad there's some options!!

CHI SJ does not employ any OBGYN docs. Every single one of them in town (BVWC Genesis Meduna BSW come to mind) does full range of contraception care including pills, iud, sterilization. Sterilization is available as a surgical procedure at BSW, CSMC and The Physican Centre. It will cease to be available at CSMC when the deal closes.
jac4
AG
Gigem314 said:

BREwmaster said:

They certainly don't. They certainly seemed to burned their bridges with A&M and its residency programs.

I'd be interested to hear why you think that when basically the opposite is true.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.