Interesting CHI/St Joseph rumor...

13,166 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jac4
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is that they have bought or are buying The Med and it will become a maternity and women's center. All cardiac care will be in Bryan.
Average Joe
AG
St. Luke's still need more money?
BrandoC
AG
Going to be hard for them to compete with Baylor Scott an White. An overall better hospital.
AgGunNut
AG
I've heard similar rumors that is being bought by CHI to be a women/children hospital. Can't substantiate the rumor though.
EBrazosAg
AG
CSMC been for sale for years. Don't bet money on the CHI thing. Would have already happened if it was likely ....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cslifer
Very old rumors and not a bit of truth to it. With small hospitals like we have here they are always for sale, it doesn't matter if there is a for sale sign in the yard or not. Nobody in town is buying anyone else in town out.
gettingitdone
If the Med was to be bought, I would not believe that they would separate services the way you mentioned. As for Scott and White being a better hospital all together as mentioned by another poster, I call BS. I have been in all three and disagree 100%
agnerd
AG
My money is on Memorial Herman after the 2020 election. They started their own health plan and have been able to undercut a lot of traditional health insurance companies in Houston. But only their facilities are in network and you're almost forced to use their facilities as long as they provide service in the county you live in. People with kids in college living elsewhere get a different plan that costs more for the insured.

Seems to me that it would make sense for them to set up a facility in Brazos County and possibly Travis County to bring people with kids at college back into their plans and reap more profits. They would also be able to go after local contracts. Of course that's assuming that the next election doesn't significantly affect their ability to profit from their plan.
TXTEA12
I know that Texas Children's Hospital and UPA recently merged. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the future of the Med, but I could see Texas Children's increasing their footprint here.
EBrazosAg
AG
TCH isn't happening. We aren't anywhere close to a children's hospital market size, especially considering the proximity of Dell, BSW and TCH children's hospitals.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXTEA12
Not saying full blown hospital but given their recent merger, now in College Station, I could see a few TCH specialized offices being added near the UPA office.
jagouar1
AG
I've always thought it would make sense for Memorial Hermann to expand up here since so many in Houston have their insurance plan and send their kids to A&M. Now that the merger with Baylor Scott & White is no more I could really see them taking a look at The Med.
Tookieclothespin
AG
BrandoC said:

Going to be hard for them to compete with Baylor Scott an White. An overall better hospital.
Maybe a better looking hospital, but that's about all. There are plenty of certifications they don't have that St. Josephs has. It depends on what you're looking for.
EBrazosAg
AG
jagouar1 said:

I've always thought it would make sense for Memorial Hermann to expand up here since so many in Houston have their insurance plan and send their kids to A&M. Now that the merger with Baylor Scott & White is no more I could really see them taking a look at The Med.

It would make sense. But ignores the reasons MH wanted to merge with BSW and why it didn't happen. They got way bigger problems to fix than getting a BCS location.
drred4
Well they are not really CHI/St. Joseph anymore either. Dignity bought CHI. Their new name is Common Spirit Health but I doubt they will spend the money to rebrand everything.

and everything is a rumor until the ink is on the paper. You see how close BSW and Memorial were on their deal and backed out at last second. I think the finance folks got them to realize that their would be more bad debt than each would want to deal with.

That is the whole reason CHS(The Med) is in the problem they are because of the parent company CHS having way to much bad debt from buying the HMA chain among other things.

AggiePhil
AG
I'm looking forward to CHISJ turning CSMC into a women's facility. CHISJ (main) and BSW should be the only full service ERs in this town, in my opinion.
EBrazosAg
AG
CHI was about 20% larger in revenue prior to the merger. I don't think anyone called it a acquisition of one or the other. They both continue to operate as Dignity and CHI in facility names. Will likely continue with new facilities as they don't overlap in geography.
cslifer
Yes, going from 3 full service ERs to 2 sounds like a great idea for a growing town. We should actually apply this logic across the board, we have so many other businesses and services we could reduce!
DeckMe80
I thought TexAgs didn't allow threads with rumors.
techno-ag
AG
DeckMe80 said:

I thought TexAgs didn't allow threads with rumors.
That depends. Coming and goings has always been allowed, speculation on future business and such.

Personal rumors like school/public officials and their affairs or other problems, unless mentioned in the news, are not allowed.
Gigem314
AG
TXTEA12 said:

I know that Texas Children's Hospital and UPA recently merged. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the future of the Med, but I could see Texas Children's increasing their footprint here.
TCH doesn't do anything without a long-term plan and strategy. They're here for a reason. It may take them some time, but I think their presence will only increase.
CCMD
AG
The rumor is true. Just got official word from CHI. (just the purchase. Don't know anything about which services will be offered)
curry97
AG
Heard the rumor a month ago. Just heard it is official also.
KidDoc
AG
CCMD said:

The rumor is true. Just got official word from CHI. (just the purchase. Don't know anything about which services will be offered)
+ 1, per the email it will be official 3rd quarter 2019.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-Medical-Center-will-become-part-of-CHI-St-Joseph-Health-system-510339341.html
jac4
AG
cslifer said:

Very old rumors and not a bit of truth to it. With small hospitals like we have here they are always for sale, it doesn't matter if there is a for sale sign in the yard or not. Nobody in town is buying anyone else in town out.

Any updates on this take?
EBrazosAg
AG
jac4 said:

cslifer said:

Any updates on this take?

Crickets.....
cslifer
One big hospital company is divesting itself of quite a few facilities, another big company bought it. Happens all the time. Sadly not the company that I would have liked to see buy it. But hospitals change hands at a shocking rate so maybe we get lucky with the next owner.
cslifer
Sorry I have better things to do than immediately reply to texags.
91_Aggie
AG
EBrazosAg said:

CSMC been for sale for years. Don't bet money on the CHI thing. Would have already happened if it was likely ....
Dang, should have bet money on this!
Agmaker
cslifer said:

Brilliant!
RG20
Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........
SARATOGA
Gotta be honest, I'm surprised it actually happened.

Yes the Med has been for sale for a long time since they've been losing the BSW and their parent company CHS has a load of debt service to pay...

And yes SJH would love to get further into the CS market since they are landlocked in Bryan - but didn't (appear) to have the money since CHI was spending so much with St. Lukes in Houston.

Crazy that even though its always been possible, it is just now actually probable.
kyledr04
AG
I assume the Med's owner gave St Joe's a really good deal just to get rid of it.
cslifer
The real winner in the deal is Scott and white, they just got the rest of the patients that don't want to go to joes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.