60 at 2818- WTF?

14,562 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CS78
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I'm not sure why you're being snarky.

Bad day at work?

EMY92
AG
jja79 said:

I take it you don't know the answer either.

I know nothing about construction so I'm honestly wondering why this is taking so long.
Often times in road construction, the state releases a little money, the company works to the point where that money is exhausted, then waits until more is released. Rinse and repeat until the project is done.

I don't know if this project is done that way or not, but it is not uncommon for smaller projects.
SW AG80
AG
Will it be completed by August?
woodiewood1
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

Quite sure just the opposite...daily traffic backup on westbound University Dr / FM60 traffic exiting (turning left) to go south on FM2818...
Cars exiting off 2818 onto 60 against fast moving traffic was a very dangerous situation.
I go through that intersection twice most every work day.

The largest issue in the past was the cars that were stopped in the turning lane on 2818 trying to turn left from 2818 to get onto the two ramps to get onto 60 turning across multi-lanes traffic going from 50 mph to 70 mph.. At least it eliminates that risk.

Nothing is going to work perfectly for everyone.
Oogway
The CoCS is considering some sort of overhaul for pedestrian safety further east so I expect 60/University to be under construction for the next four years....
jja79
AG
Thank you.
Stupe
S
SW AG80 said:

Will it be completed by August?
Expected to be completed some time this summer.
saltydog13
AG
I'm just hoping that F&B is closed to actually get repaved instead of just another terrible patch job that they'll have to come back and fix in a couple months. Another cause of the traffic backup I've noticed is that the permanent lights are time differently than the temporary lights were.
woodiewood1
I also was in the long line way back a half mile or so. Finally move forward enough to turn left at Turkey Creek and went to Villa Maria to get through. Minor inconvenience.

The intersection is under construction with various lanes closed due to construction and worker safety. Traffic never flows well through a construction zone.

Now if there are issues with traffic flow four months after the work is completed, then maybe there are issues with the design and lights.
Stupe
S

Quote:

The intersection is under construction with various lanes closed due to construction and worker safety. Traffic never flows well through a construction zone.

Yep.

Just like the Rock Prairie / Longmire intersection.
A lot of people were getting irritated and venting on here about how long it was taking and that they were "just adding sidewalks" instead of looking at all of the available information about the project that was on the city website. That project finished on time, added dedicated turn and bike lanes, and now the traffic flows a whole lot better on Rock Prairie than it did prior to the project.

Delays are going to happen during construction.

Quote:

Now if there are issues with traffic flow four months after the work is completed, then maybe there are issues with the design and lights.
Completely agree.
EBrazosAg
AG
A DOT engineer has told me the interchange is too short for the diverging diamond to work as advertised. This was well known prior to bid and construction but went ahead anyway. I'm sure we all can come up with our suspected reasons why. It should work when finished but never at the promulgated capacity. There is not enough room between the two ends to let the volume of traffic into the middle between light cycles.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasAggie_02
AG
what happens at these intersections during a power outage? at a typical intersection, people are generally smart enough to treat it as a 4-way stop. this has the potential to be a gigantic charlie foxtrot that will require police directing traffic, when they probably have better things to do.
GSS
Even the Eagle is receiving citizen complaints/observations on the debacle--- from today's paper:

College Station and the state need to coordinate projects

Motorists traveling south on Harvey Mitchell Parkway Thursday were greeted with signs that closed F&B Road and the right lane of Harvey Mitchell also was closed for repaving. The exit ramp to westbound F.M. 60 also was closed as a result.
This uncoordinated effort between the Texas Department of Transportation and the city of College Station left motorists no alternate route. This left motorists having to risk a U-turn to gain access to the north-bound traffic ramp to F.M. 60.
Why would the city pick this time to block the F&B route when it frequently is necessary to provide a route around the massive project at Harvey Mitchell and F.M. 60? Is there no coordination between the city and the Department of Transportation's local office?
MASON NEWTON
College Station
woodiewood1
GSS said:

Even the Eagle is receiving citizen complaints/observations on the debacle--- from today's paper:

Motorists traveling south on Harvey Mitchell Parkway Thursday were greeted with signs that closed F&B Road and the right lane of Harvey Mitchell also was closed for repaving. The exit ramp to westbound F.M. 60 also was closed as a result.
This uncoordinated effort between the Texas Department of Transportation and the city of College Station left motorists no alternate route. This left motorists having to risk a U-turn to gain access to the north-bound traffic ramp to F.M. 60.
Why would the city pick this time to block the F&B route when it frequently is necessary to provide a route around the massive project at Harvey Mitchell and F.M. 60? Is there no coordination between the city and the Department of Transportation's local office?
MASON NEWTON
College Station
I drove down to Villa Maria and went to Wellborn road and then went south to get to George Bush.

It did take me an extra 10 to 15 minutes...but somehow I did survive the delay getting home.

Thank goodness!
Oogway
In the grand scheme of things, your detour got you where you needed to be with a little inconvenience, but I do believe where it can be problematic (the seeming lack of communication between entities) is that there are quite a few visitors and tourists that even with a paper map or smart phone might be befuddled. Not ideal. I will be glad when the project is complete.
woodiewood1
Oogway said:

In the grand scheme of things, your detour got you where you needed to be with a little inconvenience, but I do believe where it can be problematic (the seeming lack of communication between entities) is that there are quite a few visitors and tourists that even with a paper map or smart phone might be befuddled. Not ideal. I will be glad when the project is complete.
Would not that be the case with any major highway intersection renovation anywhere in any city in a high traffic location?

It's a good opportunity for those befuddled persons to learn how to better use google maps!

I travel it through it most every day. I also will be glad when it is finished and works well.

It you think cluster....wait until Wellborn and George Bush underpass construction begins. With 10's of thousands of students and 25,000 faculty and visitors in and out of campus every day going to and from campus and the Bush Library, that will be the fun!

75AG
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Oogway said:

Would not that be the case with any major highway intersection renovation anywhere in any city in a high traffic location?

It's a good opportunity for those befuddled persons to learn how to better use google maps!

I travel it through it most every day. I also will be glad when it is finished and works well.

It you think cluster....wait until Wellborn and George Bush underpass construction begins. With 10's of thousands of students and 25,000 faculty and visitors in and out of campus every day going to and from campus and the Bush Library, that will be the fun!

Good news is the only person alive today that will see that mess is Keith Richards.
WheelinAg
AG
Right on cue?

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Diverging-Diamond-Intersection-nearing-completion-in-College-Station-509392651.html?fbclid=IwAR3iVgBo_8wXC3874CiX91EbQPRGFhYcTDDcnvGlct_esZyd59ekUb7M7KA
nought
AG
WheelinAg said:

Right on cue?

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Diverging-Diamond-Intersection-nearing-completion-in-College-Station-509392651.html?fbclid=IwAR3iVgBo_8wXC3874CiX91EbQPRGFhYcTDDcnvGlct_esZyd59ekUb7M7KA

I was just about to post that. So glad the city thinks it is working out well despite traffic being fubar in that area.
AgFan1999
AG
once eastbound is two lanes, that'll help out a lot.
oklaunion
nought said:

WheelinAg said:

Right on cue?

I was just about to post that. So glad the city thinks it is working out well despite traffic being fubar in that area.
Colwell isn't with the city. He is a state man.
Expert Analysis
AG
GSS said:

MASON NEWTON
College Station
I remember near the start of the project TxDOT had scheduled closures to through traffic to do some of the initial bridge work. Right as those closures were about to start COCS announced that there were going to close F&B for rehabilitation. Soon there after COCS cancelled that work because it made no sense to do it right a that time. Here we are 18? months later right back in the same situation. There was time COCS could have done the work when there were no planned major closures at the interchange. The could have also waited a month until the DDI was mostly complete and had no planned closuers...

COCS has plans to improve Holleman and Wellborn. Why are they not doing it now before the 2818 project starts? Once the 2818 project starts they cannot start work on any of the alternate routes. The 2818 work should start by fall 2020. Come on COCS do the work this summer when students are gone. That project will help ease congestion from the 2818 construction nightmare.
DeckMe80
jja79 said:

They blew up and rebuilt Kyle Field in less time than this. Why is this taking so long?
Hey, it took those three guys a long time to lay those 20 million pavers!
Txag_96
https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/local/city-of-college-station-to-level-intersection-at-holleman-and-wellborn/499-594070696

Looks like they plan on starting the wellborn & holleman intersection in 2021
AgFan1999
AG
Congrats TxDOT! You've outdone yourselves this time! Closing the whole intersection for 9 days?
Stupe
S
According to the link, all lanes will be open after the shutdown. If that happens, I'm good with it.
AgFan1999
AG
I'm inclined to agree, but 1) that's a big if and 2) you're shutting down the main east/west road into town and shifting people onto a two lane road.
GSS
The last closure did not even have the Turkey Creek/F&B as a "signed" option, instead sending east bound FM traffic to .......Hwy 47, Villa Maria, then back south on FM2818, (or if you wanted to go to the campus area, whatever crazy route your GPS might decide on). Something about TX DOT not able to detour via "city" streets. What BS.

The very first time they fully closed the intersection, traffic was routed onto Turkey Creek/F&B...so wires get crossed on a regular basis (such as closing F&B at the same time as full or partial closing of 60/2818 occurs).

And westbound FM60 traffic? It needs to be diverted at Wellborn, or worst case Agronomy Rd. Wanna bet the signage will be at Discovery Drive (near the TAMU PD station)?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
75AG
AG
And after all this, TXDoT says the diamond interchange will STILL not be finished until this summer.
Tailgate88
AG

Quote:

The Texas Department of Transportation provided the following information regarding an upcoming closure that will impact the community.
FM 60 CLOSED FROM MAY 13 thru MAY 22

***All ramps at the interchange will also be closed

BRAZOS COUNTY - Drivers should plan for alternate routes near the intersection of FM 2818 (Harvey Mitchell Parkway) and FM 60 (University Drive/Raymond Stotzer Parkway) next week. FM 60 will be closed between Research Parkway and Turkey Creek Road beginning Monday morning, May 13th, at 9AM. All ramps at the interchange will also be closed. The roadway is expected to re-open on Wednesday, May 22nd. This closure is necessary to adjust the roadway grades and place the final surfacing and pavement markings for the diverging diamond interchange. Once completed, all lanes will finally be open to drivers.

TxDOT asks for the public's continued patience during this closure. Please watch for traffic control and messages. TxDOT encourages drivers to plan for extra travel time and seek other routes. Easterwood Airport will be accessible by using F&B Road and Turkey Creek Road.

This work is part of the construction of the new Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). This project is contracted to Knife River Corporation-South for $14.1 million. The project is expected to be complete in summer 2019.

For more information, contact Bobby.Colwell@txdot.gov or (979) 778-9764.
tb9665
Just wait until they start George Bush and Wellborn.
saltydog13
AG
Oh joy. Is F&B still closed?
milner79
Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

The Texas Department of Transportation provided the following information regarding an upcoming closure that will impact the community.
FM 60 CLOSED FROM MAY 13 thru MAY 22

***All ramps at the interchange will also be closed

BRAZOS COUNTY - Drivers should plan for alternate routes near the intersection of FM 2818 (Harvey Mitchell Parkway) and FM 60 (University Drive/Raymond Stotzer Parkway) next week. FM 60 will be closed between Research Parkway and Turkey Creek Road beginning Monday morning, May 13th, at 9AM. All ramps at the interchange will also be closed. The roadway is expected to re-open on Wednesday, May 22nd. This closure is necessary to adjust the roadway grades and place the final surfacing and pavement markings for the diverging diamond interchange. Once completed, all lanes will finally be open to drivers.

TxDOT asks for the public's continued patience during this closure. Please watch for traffic control and messages. TxDOT encourages drivers to plan for extra travel time and seek other routes. Easterwood Airport will be accessible by using F&B Road and Turkey Creek Road.

This work is part of the construction of the new Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). This project is contracted to Knife River Corporation-South for $14.1 million. The project is expected to be complete in summer 2019.

For more information, contact Bobby.Colwell@txdot.gov or (979) 778-9764.

The hits just keep on coming...
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

"They've adjusted well. We've got all but one permanent signal up and running and traffic seems to be flowing really well through the area," said Bob Colwell with the TxDOT Bryan District.

Those are some interesting metrics Bob is using for determining the value derived from that $14 million endeavor.
"What's this button do?"
GSS
Bump as a reminder to the Monday morning users of FM 60....

A friend who lives on Jones Rd expects it to become a "freeway" during the closure...

Not aware if CoCS completed or halted the work on F&B Rd?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.