60 at 2818- WTF?

14,563 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CS78
milner79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sitting on the Turkey Creek (airport) overpass eastbound. 4:20 pm. And traffic behind me is backed up to 47. What a cluster**** of a project this continues to be.
Captn_Ag05
AG
4:20, huh?
ooshwa
Staff
AG
I've been pleased with the project for most of the time (I've defended it on here a few times), and I am still looking forward to the end result, but the last couple weeks have been a mess, and it has intensified the last couple days... poor notice of closings and poor traffic management.
AgFan1999
AG
the past few mornings eastbound has been backed up past the airport (almost to 47) - this after having few issues during the majority of the construction.
AgFan1999
AG
what needs to be done to open it? it looks like the majority of the remaining work is with the ramps to/from 2818.
agfan2013
AG
Was in line too and finally turned off to go under 60 on turkey creek. Absolutely ridiculous, lord help the people at 5:00 trying to go through there. Such a dumb, unnecessary project.
duffelpud
AG
I was coming into town from the west and saw the backup past the airport - fortunately I was able to get over and off to cut north through Traditions and back out to 2818. Yes - great planning shutting F&B at the same time as the south exit off of 60.
"What's this button do?"
texasdaughter
aggieman27
AG
I travel this route daily. You cannot convince me that this was a necessary/efficient project. What little safety this new design improved, it ten folded increased the travel time in the area. But "safety first" proponents will cry, so why not demand a 35 mph speed limit on Hwy 6? At what expense/inconvenience is a solution practical? This project is not. My guess is that those in favor do not travel this route often.
jja79
AG
They blew up and rebuilt Kyle Field in less time than this. Why is this taking so long?
milner79
I contend this project was pressed into being by the brick lobby.
GSS
AgFan1999 said:

what needs to be done to open it? it looks like the majority of the remaining work is with the ramps to/from 2818.
And another layer of paving is needed on the FM 60 part, as you can see the concrete curbing in most areas is higher than the current pavement (plus the current pavement is rough/irregular).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
tfunk02
AG
My biggest issue is everyone gets over in the left lane too soon and I don't want to be the dbag going by in the right lane. Why can't they have signs saying stay in both lanes until the zipper?

https://texashillcountry.com/txdot-discusses-importance-zipper-merge/
Stupe
S
jja79 said:

They blew up and rebuilt Kyle Field in less time than this. Why is this taking so long?
Are you seriously comparing an isolated and enclosed work site with a roadway work site.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
In 13 years, I never once got stuck in traffic coming into College Station on 60. Now that they decided they would "fix" the intersection, getting stuck in traffic is a daily problem. Then some morons think its a good idea to shut down F&B at the same time so you can't even get around the disaster that 60/2818 is.

Just think though, now that they created a traffic problem, in 10 years they can request more money to fix the problem they created.
drivinwest
AG
I've been at a conference at the Stella this week, and we have to go through Traditions out to VM. What a horrible coordination (or lack thereof) to shut down F&B while the interchange project drags on. And while I'm venting, it appears there's just one section left to do on university by Kinkos, but I haven't seen anyone working on it in the past week.
GSS
tfunk02 said:

My biggest issue is everyone gets over in the left lane too soon and I don't want to be the dbag going by in the right lane. Why can't they have signs saying stay in both lanes until the zipper?

That practice (or concept) can be very subjective....are you in a mile long line, or just in a line of 10 cars? The "dbag" that zips up to the front for a cut in line of 10 cars likely does that out of habit, not to be a great person helping traffic flow....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Stupe
S
The main scope of the project wasn't about traffic on 60. It was about traffic getting on 60 from 2818....specifically west bound traffic.
GSS
Stupe said:

The main scope of the project wasn't about traffic on 60. It was about traffic getting on 60 from 2818....specifically west bound traffic.
Quite sure just the opposite...daily traffic backup on westbound University Dr / FM60 traffic exiting (turning left) to go south on FM2818...

And there will still be problems after this 2+ yr project is completed, due to the backup on southbound FM2818 (another multi-year project to be done..).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Quite sure just the opposite...daily traffic backup on westbound University Dr / FM60 traffic exiting (turning left) to go south on FM2818...
Cars exiting off 2818 onto 60 against fast moving traffic was a very dangerous situation.
vhz
I've traveled this route daily for 10 plus years. Traffic has never been a problem until now. 2:30 on a Friday afternoon and it's already backed up pass the airport. Even upon completion, it seems as if they've created something that has created large amounts of traffic for no apparent reason. As far as safety is concerned, at least to me, it seems I've seen more wrecks around this intersection in the last 6 months than the last 10 years combined.
milner79
Captn_Ag05 said:

4:20, huh?

Some form of stress relief would have been welcomed ... I'll leave it at that.
Stupe
S
Quote:

That was part of the scope of consideration but the main issue was the safety of northbound 2818 turning west on 60 and the congestion that it caused on 2818 when a bunch of cars were lined up or there was an accident.
WheelinAg
AG
I travel this daily. The reason for the back up over the last week is they moved the barrels to block off the right lane sooner. This causes the light to back up and block the right lane so traffic can't flow freely southbound onto 2818. In the mornings they use this area for fueling the knife river paving equipment, but sometimes it's completely empty and the cones could be moved back...
GSS
Drivers going either way on 2818 had choices when exiting to get on 60...the WORST option was to take the initial exit, then try and go across 60 traffic (especially at the peak traffic times, and needing to make a left turn). Going under the 60 bridge, then taking the ramp, allows easy merging in the desired direction.

(Caveat---going west onto FM60 from FM2818 can be challenging, due to the Easterwood Airport/Turkey Creek exit being so close...looks like a light has been installed to meter traffic for that issue).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Stupe
S
I agree.

That doesn't change that fact that both of those were bad options and that there were a lot of minor and severe accidents under the bridge.
paradice
AG
The inbound before 8 am is just as backed up. Merging from 47 some days is "hope you'll let me in the line that's all the way back almost over the 47 underpass".

Most recently taking 2818 north to Villa Maria has long backups at the left turn light onto Villa Maria and the turnaround.

I wish I understood why it's more important that outbound (going west) gets two lanes, while inbound (going east) has throughout this project only had a single lane.
tfunk02
AG
GSS said:

tfunk02 said:

That practice (or concept) can be very subjective....are you in a mile long line, or just in a line of 10 cars? The "dbag" that zips up to the front for a cut in line of 10 cars likely does that out of habit, not to be a great person helping traffic flow....
Oh, it should apply here 100% lately. People were killing the flow by getting over WAY too soon or doing the lane block method. It was backing it up over 3/4 of a mile at times. It also made people getting on 60 from 47 merge over too soon too avoid looking like a dbag causing issues for people wanting off at the airport. People trying to be too nice and orderly causing more problems than good because they don't teach zipper lanes or have signs like they should.
jja79
AG
I take it you don't know the answer either.

I know nothing about construction so I'm honestly wondering why this is taking so long.
Stupe
S
Actually, I do because I've read the information that's available online about the project and know what the projected dates are.

Comparing a construction site that is isolated with zero through traffic and was worked on 24/7 for a majority of the project to an active major roadway that can't afford to be shut down is apples and oranges
PS3D
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

In 13 years, I never once got stuck in traffic coming into College Station on 60. Now that they decided they would "fix" the intersection, getting stuck in traffic is a daily problem. Then some morons think its a good idea to shut down F&B at the same time so you can't even get around the disaster that 60/2818 is.

Just think though, now that they created a traffic problem, in 10 years they can request more money to fix the problem they created.
13 years ago, Traditions was all-new and had no access to the south, F&B ended at Turkey Creek, there were no apartments west of 2818, there was nothing north of Raymond Stotzer Parkway on campus except for the vet school, and there were no on-campus living beyond Wellborn.
jja79
AG
Thanks for sharing that information professor.

The comparison of the two projects was a comparison of the time frame, not the scope or type of work. As I said I know nothing about construction but the time it's taken to advance this project seems ridiculous.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
There are multiple stop lights where there were once none... For certain, this will slow those going through on 60. IMO the declining safety of the intersection, due to increased turning traffic, necessitated the change... just too many accidents and too many near accidents. I still welcome the change.
TexasAggie_02
AG
milner79 said:

I'm sitting on the Turkey Creek (airport) overpass eastbound. 4:20 pm. And traffic behind me is backed up to 47. What a cluster**** of a project this continues to be.

Now imagine a game weekend...
Stupe
S
jja79 said:

Thanks for sharing that information professor.

The comparison of the two projects was a comparison of the time frame, not the scope or type of work. As I said I know nothing about construction but the time it's taken to advance this project seems ridiculous.
Comparing the time frame is still apples to oranges because of the type and/or scope of work.

That project is taking a long time because it's a complete overhaul of a high use overpass The only other option would have been to completely shut the thing down which would not have been realistic option.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.