Pipeline being built on HWY 30 a few miles South of town

4,613 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Smeghead4761
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know what this big pipeline is going to be used for? It looks to cross under HWY 30 and curve around and go under Fitch as well? I've asked the workers a few times what it was for and the answer has always been "it's a pipeline"....
91_Aggie
AG
It's pipeline... used to transport liquids or gases.
4lilmonkeys
They're not going to be doing much of anything with all of their equipment and supplies currently floating in the Navasota River.
techno-ag
AG
Maybe check with the Railroad Commission.

https://www.rrc.state.tx.us/about-us/resource-center/research/gis-viewers/
EBrazosAg
AG
It's a local collection line. Poorly regulated entities. Construction loosing their butts I bet with wood supports floating off and equipment under water. I think Texas Tribune recently had some revealing articles about the lack of regulation on collecting lines.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oklaunion
Around 2 weeks ago, after a large rain up the Navasota's watershed, I went to Huntsville and saw the workers just off of Fitch, down in the river bottom, running a couple of excavators out to the ditch line on those wooden platforms. The appeared ready to work.
Upon returning less than 3 hours later, the excavators were sitting in water and most of the platforms had floated several yards downstream and appeared hung up on trees and brush. That river came up quickly.
BQ_90
AG
oklaunion said:

Around 2 weeks ago, after a large rain up the Navasota's watershed, I went to Huntsville and saw the workers just off of Fitch, down in the river bottom, running a couple of excavators out to the ditch line on those wooden platforms. The appeared ready to work.
Upon returning less than 3 hours later, the excavators were sitting in water and most of the platforms had floated several yards downstream and appeared hung up on trees and brush. That river came up quickly.
Which they should be prepared for since they announce when they begin to release water from Lake Limestone
ChampsAg
Supposed to be a gas/diesel line from Hearne to Houston I heard
Bucketrunner
That older Navasota River bridge has been under flood stage most of the time since September. Lake Limestone needs to hold their water. I am concerned for my safety every time I cross it.

Wasn't there a discussion at one time of building a lake somewhere before there?
nonameag99
Magellan is building a 20" line from their east Houston terminal to their hearne terminal that will carry refined products to hearne. It crosses sh30 just west of the Navasota river
aggiegal99
We drive past it every day. It's quite the eyesore now. My favorite part is the tipped over portapotties.

It'll be weeks before it's dry enough to retrieve it all, but based on what I've seen so far, I don't have high hopes for that.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

My favorite part is the tipped over portapotties.
The whole jobsite is an SWPPP nightmare at this point. I'm not sure they're regulated but if so I'd imagine some heavy fines coming along.
Jetty
AG
Thanks for the replies.... I was wondering if there was a subdivision planned out there or something I missed....
Abbyag06
We have been looking at a construction site for it in our backyard for months now. Seems like they would finish some part of it before going 30 miles + away.
hopeandrealchange
I live in the area of this pipeline construction. I own land in the river bottom so I stay informed of what the water level is doing. A couple of weeks ago the water from lake Limestone release was going to be here that day. I noticed those guys where still working in the bottom. I stopped and told one of the workers what was headed their way. He made a phone call but did not seem to concerned.
I can only imagine the conversation between the contractor and the land owner when the contractor wants to retrieve all of the equipment that has floated off of the easement.
hopeandrealchange
Bucketrunner said:

That older Navasota River bridge has been under flood stage most of the time since September. Lake Limestone needs to hold their water. I am concerned for my safety every time I cross it.

The proposed lake was called the Milligan reservoir.
The engineering was done for that project many decades ago. The state knocked the dust off of that data and resubmitted it for possible construction.
The land owners in the area came together to point out that the design would flood large portions of College Station. The key talking point that got traction was when one of the land owners said on KBTX that Sams club would be under water. It was truly shocking that the state was so incompetent when submitting this idea. I fought to get two items of information from the state on this project. I needed the elevation of the proposed spillway and the location of the dam. Once I got that we quickly educated the media.

As far as the river bridges I got a letter from Texdot recently wanting permission to access my land to start surveying for design work to make it a four lane with all new bridges.

Wasn't there a discussion at one time of building a lake somewhere before there?
Bucketrunner
Thanks for the good information
EBrazosAg
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Bucketrunner said:

The proposed lake was called the Milligan reservoir.
The engineering was done for that project many decades ago. The state knocked the dust off of that data and resubmitted it for possible construction.
The land owners in the area came together to point out that the design would flood large portions of College Station. The key talking point that got traction was when one of the land owners said on KBTX that Sams club would be under water. It was truly shocking that the state was so incompetent when submitting this idea. I fought to get two items of information from the state on this project. I needed the elevation of the proposed spillway and the location of the dam. Once I got that we quickly educated the media.

As far as the river bridges I got a letter from Texdot recently wanting permission to access my land to start surveying for design work to make it a four lane with all new bridges.

Latest iteration was Panther Creek Reservoir. Had to move up almost to 30 bridge from Sulphur Springs because of the Grimes Co dump location. What a waste of time. Also, from my understanding, the new 30 4 lane bridge will eliminate the "earthen dam" effect of the current 30 bridge with interspersed earthen berms for the road for a bridge for the entire 3/4 miles. That will decrease the flooding upstream on Wickson and the Navasota that results from water backing up against the current structure.

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/4B-28_Millican_Reservoir.pdf
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hopeandrealchange
Can you tell me where you got the information on the bridge construction/ design?
EBrazosAg
AG
Some implied in the documentation provided by the state asking permission for surveying. Other implied by a DOT engineer I discussed the project with. Certainly could be wrong, but my understanding was that the slope on current earthen berm is way out of current highway construction "code" - and going in to widen would lead to a earthen berm that was way wider than current ROW and would require a tremendous amount of fill. Thinking about it, I can't think of any "newish" project crossing similar waterways that was not just a long bridge.

There has been at least 2 deaths in the past 20 years that were to some degree result of current design. One went out of control on berm and ended up wrapped around a big oak about 10 feet up, dodging a bull. Other was vehicle on top of driver after rolling down berm. Neither would likely have resulted from a wreck on a bridge. Cattle and pigs and 2 ft alligator snappers dont get on a bridge either, at least not as often as they do on a berm with constant flooding 3-5 feet deep for nearly a mile.
hopeandrealchange
Thank you for your input.
You and I must be neighbors.
EBrazosAg
AG
I'm pretty sure we are
Smeghead4761
I think this is the same pipeline that crosses FM1179 just east of the Boonville Animal Hospital (and where the tornado touched down a couple weeks ago).

When I drove by this morning, their trench was full of water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.