CS to downtown Dallas

3,352 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JayHowdy!
rc_cat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Several years ago this board recommended 21-39-79-I35 to Dallas from CS. I don't think I've driven to Dallas since I asked that last time - is this route still the best way during the day on a weekday to the downtown area?

Thanks!
AggieBarstool
If you're on 35, you went the wrong way, dude! (35 goes to Fort Worth; you're thinking of 79 to 45).

I'd say that's a viable route, but truthfully, I just take 21 - 75 - 45. I prefer the two lane divided highway that is 45 and the ability to go 75-80 without much trouble. Traffic can bottleneck at times, esp. in construction, but it's gotten a lot better. I make the drive each way once every 4-5 weeks or so.
Prune Tracy
AggieBarstool said:

If you're on 35, you went the wrong way, dude! (35 goes to Fort Worth; you're thinking of 79 to 45).

I'd say that's a viable route, but truthfully, I just take 21 - 75 - 45. I prefer the two lane divided highway that is 45 and the ability to go 75-80 without much trouble. Traffic can bottleneck at times, esp. in construction, but it's gotten a lot better. I make the drive each way once every 4-5 weeks or so.

You do realize that 35 splits, right?

From CS, the easiest is 6 to the loop around Waco, then hit 35 north and go. There is very little construction left on 35 - once you're past Waco, it's all downhill (not really, but you know what I mean).
histag10
AG
Doesn't 35 split and go to both Dallas and Ft Worth, or did something change recently?
CDMAg21
AG
I find that 190 to 39 to OSR to 45 to 75 (depending on where downtown you're trying to go) is the fastest route. I get from University Dr. to Dallas in around 2 hrs 45 min easy. Depends on construction of course, but on 45 you can go 80-85 mph without worrying. Going much slower will get you run off the road.
JMac03
AG
CDMAg21 said:

I find that 190 to 39 to OSR to 45 to 75 (depending on where downtown you're trying to go) is the fasted route. I get from University Dr. to Dallas in around 2 hrs 45 min easy. Depends on construction of course, but on 45 you can go 80-85 mph without worrying. Going much slower will get you run off the road.
I drove this Monday. 2 hr 45 min each way from CS.
Tx Ag72
OSR is being patrolled by DPS on a regular basis. Speed limit is 60 and they are giving tickets. Be glad when OSR is fixed and those bridges are widened. Have never understood why they did that.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
AggieBarstool said:

You are aware that IH 35 splits north of Hillsboro?

35E goes to Dallas and 35W goes to Fort Worth.

They reconnect south of Denton.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Belton Ag
AG
pepe the dog said:

AggieBarstool said:

You are aware that IH 35 splits north of Hillsboro?

35E goes to Dallas and 35W goes to Fort Worth.

They reconnect south of Denton.

I 35 does split, but he's definitely thinking of 45. I'm 100% positive OP isn't talking about driving to Dallas by going to North Zulch, then north to Jewett only to turn around and drive 2 hours southwest to Round Rock to get onto 35.
techno-ag
AG
CDMAg21 said:

I find that 190 to 39 to OSR to 45 to 75 (depending on where downtown you're trying to go) is the fastest route. I get from University Dr. to Dallas in around 2 hrs 45 min easy. Depends on construction of course, but on 45 you can go 80-85 mph without worrying. Going much slower will get you run off the road.
Construction on the OSR is ongoing between Normangee and Wheelock from what was reported in the paper, so this route should still be viable for the moment (Normangee to the Interstate).

Agree with poster on heavy DPS presence on OSR. It's one of the few rural highways with a lower speed limit, so it's kind of a honey pot for them.
rc_cat
AggieBarstool said:

Yeah - I45 - not I35! I would have ended up on the right Interstate - just had the wrong number in my head. Thanks!
rc_cat
CDMAg21 said:

Thanks! And, I'll watch out for the increased police presence mentioned further down in the thread.
JayHowdy!
rc_cat said:

CDMAg21 said:

Thanks! And, I'll watch out for the increased police presence mentioned further down in the thread.
Go Hwy 6 to 35. Much easier drive, and almost as fast.
Just watch out for the police in Riesel. Guaranteed to be sitting on the south side of town.
toolshed
AG
CDMAg21 said:

It's about 4 minutes longer to take 21/190 to 75 to 45, and you don't have to deal with the slower speeds on 39/ osr and being stuck behind Ethel or Cletus making the trip from the farm to "town" or back home!! Or chicken trucks...

The wider smoother road with shoulders is worth the added time to me.
CDMAg21
AG
JayHowdy! said:

rc_cat said:

CDMAg21 said:

Go Hwy 6 to 35. Much easier drive, and almost as fast.
Just watch out for the police in Riesel. Guaranteed to be sitting on the south side of town.
Except people on 35 drive slower than Christmas on top of slower speed limits.
Aggie_95
AG
PS3D
I took 14/45 once or twice, which is more direct than 21 or OSR. Of course, this was before 45 widening was in earnest, so I don't know these days. As of a few years ago, the flyover that connected 14 to 45 was closed for rebuilding. Also, I think in Mexia the speed limit drops as low as 30, which is nasty.
Justin2010
AG
Absolute fastest in my experience is 6 to 14 to 45

But on that route you have to constantly watch for the speed traps.

And now that you can go 75+mph on 45, the difference isn't substantial between than and just taking the Madisonville cutoff.

Also when going to Palestine/Tyler I usually go 21 to 39 to 79. It shaves a little time off and usually traffic on 39 isn't bad.
davido
AG
Google Maps usually takes me through Normangee, but I'm not an OSR fan (rough & narrow) so sometimes I just go through Madisonville for the safety. Especially with kiddos and/or a trailer.

Most of 21 is much nicer now.
AggieP18
I have always gone 6 to the 340 loop in Waco and on to 35. Takes me around 3 hours to get just about anywhere in the DFW general area. All you have to watch for is the speed trap in Riesel.
Aggie_95
AG
JayHowdy!
Headed to Tyler - I have been driving 39 to Jewett and Hwy 79 to Buffalo. Very little traffic and I can do it quicker than OSR to 45
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.