International Leadership Texas. College Station

16,824 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeffk
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dear cslifer - you seem like a grouch on a lot of threads. This is not an attack on you, but you come off that way a lot. (I'm not saying what you are saying is right or wrong)
AggieMom_38
That makes sense! Oh yes the bootcanps! Ugh! Memories (not such good ones)

And Lifer, if you don't understand the demographic and district size differences in CS vs Dallas or Houston I can't help you. Get your own data, even pay data is available. Just go get it. Goodness.
cslifer
I am very familiar with the demographics of those areas. But you were referring to the student population of a school that is voluntary to attend. Who knows what the population of those other campuses are. Do you?
When quoting "facts" if you can't prove them they aren't facts. They are opinions or assumptions.
Oogway
It is really not that complicated. As a parent in the Brazos Valley, you may send your child(ren) to private school, public school (to which your house is zoned), charter school, or home school. Or you may send them to a private boarding school.
Each family should do the best they can with what they've got. Each family has different perspectives on what is best for their child(ren) and on what education should encompass for their child(ren). What is important is that children feel safe and loved regardless of where they live and with whom they live.
AggieMom_38
Amen Oogway! Thank you for summarizing the sentiment well. The different options, the opportunities... we are lucky to have them and we should embrace and support them. I'd add "educated" (broadly speaking) to safe and loved (if we are discussing school systems)
EliteElectric
Don't know how it applies or even if it applies to this argument, but we chose IL Texas because we have a few families we are friends with that have children that came out of Bryan and CS schools and love IL Texas. Other parents raving about it is the reason we got on the list for Kindergarten there.
scs01
cslifer said:

Thanks for posting that, it is pretty comprehensive.
A few things stood out to me, much less experienced teacher making less money being the biggest. To me this sounds like new teachers gaining experience and moving on. I also found it interesting that while more thank average kids were enrolled in AP classes, the passing average was much lower.
The fact that a higher percentage take AP exams at IL Texas but a lower percentage of those that take the exams pass is pretty meaningless. Overall at IL, 44% took an exam and 41% of those passed at least one, so 18% of ILTexas students passed at least one AP exam. In Texas as a whole, about 13% passed an AP exam. So IL Texas came out ahead by a good margin on the overall percentage of their students who passed an AP exam. The also have a little higher percentage of students that are "college-ready", and that in spite of having a little higher proportion of low-SES students in their population. Overall I don't see anything in their stats that worried me as an ILTexas parent, but they also don't say much because you would need a controlled study to figure out which kids do better at the charter vs. public schools. That is the main question in the end.

It will be interesting to see how teacher pay works out in the long run at IL. As I understand it they have a system of paying an experienced teacher well to be the lead in each grade, and the others somewhat less. In our experience (we have kids at IL and also still in CSISD), the lead teachers compare well with the better ones from CSISD and in fact many moved from there. The others have been fine, but sometimes less experienced, etc.. But, that's also the case in CSISD as the kids have had a couple through the years who we've not been thrilled with in spite of generally being happy with the district. I'll also say that the teachers at IL have a range of interesting backgrounds, degrees from non-US universities, etc, that bring some nice diversity.

Personally I think the jury is still out on how the overall strengths and weaknesses of IL will develop in BCS. We really do have a different kind of demographic here as compared with many of the other places they have established schools. While we have seen some growing pains and didn't take the kids out of CSISD because of any unhappiness with it, we're happy to have a choice and so far appreciate many aspects of IL.

cslifer
I do agree on with you on most points besides the AP. While IL does have a 5 point higher pass rate they have 18% higher rate taking the classes. To me that sounds like they have quite a few in those classes that shouldn't be. When you hit the target at a slightly higher rate but you shoot way more bullets it isn't necessarily a good thing.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Even in public schools there is a strong push to be more inclusive with AP and IB (which I honestly think is better) classes. The concept is that many of those low income mainly kids from many backgrounds are more likely to go to college and more likely to be successful in college because of taking the class. It really is not always about passing the exam. My daughter this year moved to a charter that is all IB from earliest grades through high school and she (had taught over 20 years) it really impressed with the thinking skills her students have developed.
jeffk
AG
We've had a great experience with our son in kindergarten at ILT. The daily PE, focus on service and character, and trilingual curriculum were the reason we made the choice to enroll there instead of at a dual language campus in BISD and we've been extremely happy with our choice. Campus leadership has been very responsive and has always communicated well with us - even when we had a change in classroom teacher halfway through the year. My son loves his teachers and they're doing an excellent job as far as I can tell. We're looking forward to first grade there next year.
jeffk
AG
100% agree with this. As someone who's taught AP courses at high-poverty campuses for a number of years, the effects of the more challenging coursework was often better seen in the several years after the class, not in their test score that year.
Big12Champ06
Reviving this thread for the new school year...

My kindergartner has now been offered a spot in CSISD dual language (at South Knoll) and at IL Texas for 19-20. (We started at #72 & #58 on the wait lists respectively so definitely feel blessed to be making this decision.)

I'm particularly interested in experience with any sacrifices you feel you have made leaving CSISD and with the level of satisfaction with teachers and administration at IL Texas.

I read an article in The Eagle where Ms. McMahan talked a lot about teachers building relationships with and loving kids. I'm less than excited about this philosophy. Maybe I'm short sighted but I send them to school to learn. It's my job to love them.

momlaw
AG
I am way beyond this age now, though always found that teachers who respected and cared for students elicited my child's respect and devotion to their teaching. Teachers punching the clock were typically counter productive to the end goal. Personal relationships and accountability are a rare thing in our world today. Check the news.
momlaw
Turf96
I response to the poster about positive and negative. I'll do my best. As many know we have kids in each. I've been more than excited to be a part of IL Texas and also enjoy parts of a very good school in CSID.

ILTexas is a bit of a more rounded school in my eyes. They have more of an old school mentality on discipline. They create an environment of teamwork just a bit outside that of what is typical of most public schools now. I also feel they are not afraid of failure and that is refreshing. If a kid does make a bad grade they don't rush to get them to make it up to X number at the younger grades. They seem to actulky use grades to evaluate who needs more help. As stated many times before our ILT student struggled in CSISD as they did well enough in the districts eyes to not need help but test that help was needed. At ILT they have received all the assistance needed and we had a very very successful first year. I've seen kids with severe discipline issues start school and end year on sports teams and receive academic awards. Not saying this can't happen at public schools but many times their hands are tied in regards to discipline.. My student had never had a foreign language class ever and really struggled as they were junior high age. At end of year they received an award in one of the languages and a's in both. I feel the chrome books are a huge help with the language classes.

As for the principle and supt not sure why you don't want a family environment. Seems a bit backwards to me. Yes I get you and I raise our kids at home and I do get frustrated with the liberal indoctrination of the current public schools systems but still want the kids to feel cared about as people and not just numbers and test scores. I think the feeling you get when you walk in door and feel truly cared about is refreshing at both schools.

As for the bad at ILTexas. They did have some growing pains to start. Furniture showed up days before school opened. It was a bit disorganized and they did have teacher turn over to start. That was frustrating at times and was felt by some of the faculty. It did level off and was handled very well and we ended the school year on a good note but it did have some bumps. Sports are offered but not anywhere near as serious as public schools. If you want to play college ball better play select something. That being said I do like they use sports as a character building tool as they were originally put in schools to do but think winning became main goal. I sometimes wish they practiced longer and seasons were more involved. I also felt the art class could have used more supply support but I guess that is the way of education now days. I know public schools have teachers supplying class room tools. That being said I would like to see art class not have to email parents needng supplies. The art teacher by the way is amazing at ILT. Has a large history of successful art students when teaching in Houston not just a filler teacher there. She is great. Last thing I can think of negative is where and how the high school will come online. Haven't heard all those details yet.

As for me knowing what I do about both schools in no way would I ever let a principle saying it has a family environment stop me from taking my spot at ILT. Remember not all kids have a family unit at home like yours and my kids have. My ILT student just said the other day I'm ready for school this year. That makes a parent smile. ILT has been a blessing for one of our children that had began to hate school before. Not saying it can't work both ways at both schools.

Hope this answers you question. Also my high schooler wishes they were able to go to ILT from the time spent there. That should say something as well.
jeffk
AG
Meet the teacher night tonight.
Lovebird
Not to derail thread but I have some boys uniform shorts, polos and formals I'm looking to sell cheap.

3 - XL (18/20) Maroon ILT Collared Shirts
4 - size 14 khaki shorts, school code Old Navy Brand
1 - White Embroidered Formal w/tie
1 - Formal Black ILT sweater
1 - size 14 Formal Khaki Pants
1 - XL school spirit shirt

Let me know if interested
Big12Champ06
Thank you for your comments. It is helpful to me. I'm glad you found places that your kids can thrive!
Turf96
Your welcome. We are blessed with good local schools. Good and bad with all. The charter has been fun but as I said has had bumps here and there. All in all out one there has found their extended family and academic success. Also played two sports. Best of luck to which ever route you chose. They will be fine either way.
gunan01
AG
Big12Champ06 said:

Reviving this thread for the new school year...

My kindergartner has now been offered a spot in CSISD dual language (at South Knoll) and at IL Texas for 19-20. (We started at #72 & #58 on the wait lists respectively so definitely feel blessed to be making this decision.)

I'm particularly interested in experience with any sacrifices you feel you have made leaving CSISD and with the level of satisfaction with teachers and administration at IL Texas.

I read an article in The Eagle where Ms. McMahan talked a lot about teachers building relationships with and loving kids. I'm less than excited about this philosophy. Maybe I'm short sighted but I send them to school to learn. It's my job to love them.

We had a similar choice. We ended up picking CSISD dual language. We have heard (mostly) good things about IL Texas, but the CSISD DL program has been around a lot longer and parents of those children who have gone through the DL program have nothing but glowing things to say about it. If our child had not gotten into DL, it would have been a very difficult decision for us to choose IL Texas or go to regular kinder in CSISD.

IL Texas is a great option for those in non-CSISD school districts I think. We know people who live in Navasota ISD who have two children at IL Texas and are huge fans of it. One child is entering 9th grade, and as of now has been told they have "carved out" space on the grades K-8 campus for the 9th grade class. I know in Houston, IL Texas has rented out space at local churches for their high school classes. That's one thing to consider with IL Texas - you have to take a bit of a leap of faith that they will have their financial situation all straightened out in a few years, and that they'll have the high school campus eventually built as planned.

One point of clarification on the "wait lists". For the CSISD dual language program, the number you are assigned is not a wait list number, it's a ranking. The first 50 or so are accepted straight away, then they go down the list as more native Spanish speakers register for school, or as people decline their spot. Ms. Ramirez mentioned at the informational meeting that about 60 non-native Spanish speakers are accepted each year (meaning about 10-15 families declined a spot for your child to get a spot if ranked #72).

At IL Texas, my understanding is the wait list number you're given is a true wait list number. So that means 57 families declined for your child to get a spot. Seems odd to me. Why go to the trouble of going to the informational meeting and registering online, if you're just going to decline the spot anyway?
Tigermom84
AG
If you've got a spot at ILT ready and waiting for you, then you shouldn't squander it. If you're thinking long term for your kids, then you can't just base all decisions on dual language and k-4. You need to be thinking IS/MS/HS. Based on my experience, the teachers at ILT and administration have so much more control over so many different things, it just doesn't compare to CSISD. Their policies on discipline, following the code of conduct, down to cell phones and what the kids are and aren't allowed to do in their down time is just FAR and beyond anything CSISD does. If it were my kids, and I had been accepted to both, I would take the ILT route first, and if I felt that it wasn't a good fit, then go back to CSISD, even if it means you lose your spot in DL. But based on what I've seen, it's an extremely high likelihood that you won't regret the ILT move. You may however regret the CSISD decision later on down the road (due to the above mentioned reasons, and lest we forget boundary adjusting) and be put back on the waitlist at ILT, with no hope of getting back in.
AggieAces06
AG
Bumping this for any new opinions that may have been formed during this school year.

We are in the blessed boat of deciding between ILT and CSISD Dual Language. We got our acceptance notices for both this week.

Any updates would be much appreciated!
EliteElectric
6+ months in and my daughter loves it. Bear in mind she's a kindergartner but it's been great in my opinion. I have also done the WATCH DOGS volunteer day and watching the discipline side of things first hand was awesome. We love it but have nothing to juxtapose since ILT is our only experience. I have heard other parents say it's more rigorous than public school for what that's worth.
Jinx
I don't know how long it was in previous years but I can tell you the Kindergarten wait list is at minimum 160ish since that's where we ended up!
jeffk
AG
My son's had a great year in first grade. Continually impressed by his teachers and the school's admin team. We chose it over the BISD dual-language program and are glad we did.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.