Any reports on Urban Table?

10,531 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by George Costanza
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soft opening this weekend?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Monday starts dinner service
crbongos
AG
Soft opening was this past week with charity fundraisers this weekend. Great restaurant and bar! Typically great Tail Lee fate and atmosphere Great industrial/contemporary interior. Full Bar upstairs with lots of seats and high tops. Family dining down with patios on both floors for those nice days. Food really, really good and creative dishes along with the favorites. Great wine selection and full bar. All profits from this weekend went to charity. It will be on my rotation for sure! Excited to have this in SoCo!!!!
CRBongo
mgreen
My guess is the upstairs bar will be more popular than the restaurant. They will fill a huge void for a nice adult bar in south CS. Restaurant will do fine as well. Good menu and good price points.
legalbird
What happened to the guy that used to go to every restaurant before they opened, wrote a scathing report, and his job was a food delivery driver?

I think he would be our best insight.
halibut sinclair
legalbird said:

What happened to the guy that used to go to every restaurant before they opened, wrote a scathing report, and his job was a food delivery driver?

I think he moved to California.
JMac03
AG
We ate at one of the meal pop ups at Veritas. The food was awesome. It was our first time to ever have duck - and I definitely would order again. I can't wait to try out the actual restaurant in the next week or two. I do like that the upstairs will be adults only. There are many more things on the menu we would love to try out.
ChampsAg
I looked for a copy of the menu and couldn't find one.

Louie said Friday that the mixologist there was great and he loved the mac & cheese
australopithecus robustus
Shouldn't it be suburban table?
Jetty
AG
I've been looking for a menu too.
One Louder
AG
I attended the charity event this past Saturday. My guest and I described what we liked and didn't like to the bartender and she created the perfect drink for each of us. The food was as delicious as you would expect from Tai. The hummus was the best I've ever had.
AggiePhil
AG
Sounds expensive.
EliteElectric
Food and drinks were great.
91_Aggie
AG
AggiePhil said:

Sounds expensive.

1/2 pound burger is only $14 but it is really only $10 since it comes with a $4 side of fries
armymom
Urban Table menu
EBrazosAg
AG
CFS with grilled squash? I'll go with "so guess what I want to substitute on that plate, waitress?"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
legalbird
It just came to me.

I think his name was Greg.

AggieBarstool
Thank heavens - a restaurant that doesn't serve entirely breaded, fried food and/or pasta.

Excited to try it!
Monywolf
legalbird said:

Greg D. He probably has a review of it last year.
Stucco
I went about a month ago. My experience was mediocre, and consistent with what a lot of reviewers are saying about inattentive servers, food differing from what was on the menu, and general lack of flavor. I was very surprised because chef was actively overseeing the food coming out of the kitchen. I'm really hoping they get their act together because it is exactly the kind of place I would frequent.

Just today I wanted to go back and give it another chance, but I checked recent reviews and it seems like the issues aren't worked out yet. I came here looking for an explanation. Does anyone know what is going on? I expected greatness.
TransplantedRedRaider
We've been twice, and we had good experiences both times. We sat upstairs, on the balcony and our server was the bartender. (actually two different bartenders) The hummus was good, the Caesar salad with grilled shrimp was really good. The burger was big and very tasty. The wine list was nice--more choices than I expected. Nice atmosphere--we enjoyed watching the traffic (aka=-the crazy drivers) from the balcony. The bartender/servers seemed to show up whenever we wanted something. They were appropriately chatty, without being annoying.

I can't think of anything I could complain about, except maybe the weather...it was kinda hot outside on the most recent visit, but it was our choice to sit out there, and there are plenty of fans.
montegobay
We went once and are in no hurry to return. Do not sit downstairs unless you like lots of noise and a crowd around your table while you eat. The menu is quite small, but the food was good. Nothing special. We would probably go back for a drink and sit upstairs.
bugle rank '87
AG
We went and sat upstairs. There were only 2 other tables being served, so not very busy. The food was very good but the service is ridiculously slow.
After sitting for over 25 minutes waiting for someone to take our order we got up and found what we think was the bartender. He apologized and said "Your waiter got busy doing something downstairs............seriously???
The place has potential, but they need better trained staff.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
Wicked Good Ag
We went last Friday when my Aunt and monther came into town. Let me say we went to two of the pop up dinners at Vertias beforehand

We like the place. Friday afternoon they allow the kids upstairs to watch movies with free popcorn
I think it was incredibles 2 playing. Normally this is the grown up section but they switch it up during lunch on Fridays
My aunt loved the salmon as did my mom. We were impressed with the Monte Cristo they had on the menu although they did get mine and my wife's order switched and I had mustard on my which I didn't want
They fixed and removed one from our bill.

The only disappointment we had was not seeing the Tirmasu dessert make the final menu from the pop up. One of the best we have had in the area but isn't on the menu

Will do again for sure. Hopefully Chef Tai will add this business to the Taste of BCS program like Vertias
Caladan
We ate there a little over a month ago. The service was excellent. Everyone was friendly, and the food arrived in a very timely manner. We were fortunate enough to get a booth, of there are only a few. The rest of the tables downstairs (we did not go upstairs) are situated extremely close together. Too close for our liking - YMMV of course. Food was excellent, but we were both surprised at how small the portions were. The piece of chicken in my wife's entree was the smallest I have ever seen served in an entree in an American restaurant. But again - the food itself was prepared quite well.

C
AggieBarstool
My wife and I ate there toward the end of May. We were sat upstairs adjacent to the bar. Our server was okay... nice, but inattentive. Our apps arrived WITH the entrees -- a HUGE peeve for me. My entree was good (I think I had pork). My wife got their CFS and was utterly underwhelmed. We didn't have drinks, but others looked like they were enjoying theirs.

I won't be in a hurry to go back, but won't turn them down, either.
ommama
Went there with a group. No one was that happy with their food- portion size or taste, especially for the price. Many other places in town I would rather go.
happyinBCS
Sad to hear I was waiting to try it now I don't think I will
rc_cat
We went in May - about a month ago. We were really surprised at how small and cramped the downstairs dining area was - did not get a chance to see the upstairs. The food was - ok - but that's about it. Service was good and friendly - but, there wasn't really anything about the dinner that made us want to go back.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Very, very similar experience
AggieBarstool
Forgot to add -- for the price, we felt unimpressed. We were in a toss-up btw. trying Urban Table or Campfire.
Wicked Good Ag
AggieBarstool said:

Forgot to add -- for the price, we felt unimpressed. We were in a toss-up btw. trying Urban Table or Campfire.

Even unimpressed I think you still made the right choice
Broncos
I'm glad I didn't listen to anyone here. We tried Urban Table Friday evening and were impressed.

We had the pot sticker appetizer, the pasta of the week, jerk chicken, and bread pudding. All were excellent.

The staff was attentive and we never waited even though it was quite busy.

The upstairs indoor and outdoor areas were really cool.

We will definitely be going back.
nashvilleaggie11
I had a very very bad experience at Urban Table but I have since had a discussion with Chef Tai so I am not going to go into it here. I appreciate his swift response and concern.

I live in Dallas and it is kind of funny to see the college age servers vs servers in a big city. I didn't even tell Tai this, but our waiter made comments 3 times during our dinner about giving him a bigger tip. For example, "if I put on this game for you on the TV, will you give me a bigger tip?" It was bad...
91_Aggie
AG
Our experience was meh as well.
My wagyu beef burger was well done and dry (no, waiter did not ask me how I wanted it cooked... didn't even ask which option I wanted with the burger (fries, soup, salad, and a 4th option I can't remember... I got fries).

Just felt weird as well with the waiters just standing at the big island waiting for kitchen to bring out orders... waiters need a place to hide

No I didn't complain about the burger... had already made one complaint about daughter's food, and my introversion only can make one complaint per restaurant visit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.