A&M Applications up significantly from last year

2,348 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Eliminatus
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M applications are up 20% from in-state and 26% from out of state applications. That is a pretty significant number. There are no plans to increase the number of students admitted and there are a much higher number of applications from the top 10% in-state, which means admissions will become even more competitive.

President Young spoke on this recently and the audio clip is on the link. While there is no plan to increase admits at the College Station campus, I wonder if many of these students will be directed to RELLIS and be admitted to a branch campus but still here in Aggieland. Has anyone heard projections on RELLIS numbers for next year and going forward? My thought is Sharp is wanting to drive up numbers to ensure success for all these private-public partnerships (Park West, Century Square, etc.) and RELLIS is the path to do that without diluting College Station campus numbers.

If applications continue to be this level, I would expect A&M to increase faculty, build more buildings, and admit more students.

http://wtaw.com/2019/04/11/texas-am-student-applicant-pool-continues-to-grow/

Quote:

There's a 20 percent increase in the number of freshmen in-state applicants at Texas A&M from last year.

President Michael Young told the faculty senate this week the out of state applicant pool is up 26 percent, and the number of completed applications this year is higher than the total number submitted in past years.

Young says they intend to admit 10,000 new freshmen to the flagship campus this fall.

techno-ag
AG
Sounds great.
cavscout96
AG
Except that, while applications are up, admissions are down the last two years.
woodiewood1
The two new lecture halls being built have capacities of 600. Anything over about 45 means that a Prof is not teaching, they are presenting. At 600 student classes, they might as well go online and just come in to take exams.
Captn_Ag05
AG
cavscout96 said:

Except that, while applications are up, admissions are down the last two years.
Adjustments were made in the calculations after the class they hoped to have 10,000 in had 11,500 or so. 10,000 enrollments has been the goal for the past several years and looks to be the goal at least for the near future.
techno-ag
AG
In a related story, more stuff is being built.

https://www.theeagle.com/townnews/building_industry/texas-a-m-system-regents-approve-list-of-projects/article_783d6f6c-5ce0-11e9-9cc2-cfccdacc7ec0.html
Txmoe
AG
I attended a talk given by Chad Wootten (AVP for External Affairs for A&M) a few weeks ago. He explained that applications are up because the way students submit them has changed. In the old days, students had to complete a separate application for each college. Now it's done online and students have to complete only one application that they can send to as many colleges as they want. It's as easy as clicking a box and there's no downside to taking the chance.
CS78
Quick, somebody build some more apartments!
(Removed:11023A)
AG
CS78 said:

Quick, somebody build some more apartments!

NO, no more freaking apartments
Eliminatus
AG
woodiewood1 said:

The two new lecture halls being built have capacities of 600. Anything over about 45 means that a Prof is not teaching, they are presenting. At 600 student classes, they might as well go online and just come in to take exams.

I am pretty much a professional student at this point. Of all the classes I have taken 80% of them could EASILY have been online courses and about 50% of them SHOULD have been.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.