Freshman Off-Campus Living Options?

2,463 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Turf96
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cross posted on Aggies Only/Pub

Co-workers daughter starts A&M in the fall.

Apparently on campus housing is very expensive now with meal plan and they were considering living off campus. They mentioned The Tradition apartments on Church Street and Cambridge Station.

Two questions - is the Tradition the one with all the problems a few year back?

Where is a good place to live for a freshman if they live off campus? Is Traditions a good option? Cambridge at the Station?

Any other suggestions?
redd38
AG
Are you looking for something that's dorm-ish and off campus (cause that's what the two you listed are) or just any sort of off campus housing?
gbaby23
AG
I can't speak to any problems Traditions may have had a few years back, but I had some good friends that lived there in the 2013-2014 school year. It is close to campus, close to northgate, and had a dorm-like vibe that seemed conducive to meeting the people around you.

If your coworker's daughter is going to be going to northgate, it will definitely be convenient and save money on Uber/taxis.

If your coworker's daughter is interested in greek life, The Callaway House/Villas will be a good spot. A lot of freshman who go the fraternity/sorority route stay there. And it is not a bad place to live. They also have a full service dining hall.
Justin2010
AG
There's nothing like living on campus your first year.
histag10
AG
while on-campus housing prices have gone up, I find it hard to believe one could find something cheaper living off campus once you calculate in utilities and food costs. Housing options in general are not cheap here.

The off-campus "dorms" are Traditions, Callaway, Cambridge, and now Park West (I believe- but more apartment like). Yes, I believe it was Traditions that had issues a few years ago, but Callaway also had some issues in the past. When I was in college, Traditions, Callaway & Cabridge were no longer considered "new", and were quickly aging.
Love Gun
Traditions isn't too bad, but being in NG May be a distraction overall with a lot of people, construction, traffic, etc.

Northpoint Crossing (University & Texas) has seen an increase in crime the past two years or so.

Anything on Harvey Rd. is trash....and old

Southgate Village....Close to A&M, but farthest from your heart

Flats on 12 (formerly Deux Chene) on 2818 is still the same old dump it has been for years

The newer, faddish places at 2818/Holleman area with the Woodlands, the Cottages, etc., we're quickly constructed (take from that what you will). Also, that area is a traffic nightmare and the police are always seen in these complexes investigating burglaries (car and apt), rapes and drug activity.

Anything on Southwest Pkwy, like Harvey, is old and trashy.

Everything else should be ok.
histag10
AG
But unless you are on swpkwy harvey or holleman, you will be sacrificing you first born child to pay rent, and even that likely wont pay the full year...
Love Gun
histag10 said:

But unless you are on swpkwy harvey or holleman, you will be sacrificing you first born child to pay rent, and even that likely wont pay the full year...

The OP initially asked about Nothgate living. I don't think that'll be a problem.
histag10
AG
Love Gun said:

histag10 said:

The OP initially asked about Nothgate living. I don't think that'll be a problem.

They also said on campus housing was too expensive...
dwaynego
AG
What your coworker can do is purchase meal plans or dining dollars (I suggest dining dollars) so his daughter can live off campus but still eat on campus. Places that are advertised as freshman living will be the Cambridge, park west, traditions (which was renovated in 2016). I suggest uCentre or Northpoint Crossing for a freshman. They both offer roommate matching and are on the north side of campus, so they avoid 80% of the traffic and will not be woken up by the train. They are extremely close to campus and are fairly new and well maintained. I think Northpoint Crossing will get your coworker the most bang for his buck
Love Gun
Well, hopefully he can figure it out.
woodiewood1
Love Gun said:

Traditions isn't too bad, but being in NG May be a distraction overall with a lot of people, construction, traffic, etc.

Northpoint Crossing (University & Texas) has seen an increase in crime the past two years or so.

Anything on Harvey Rd. is trash....and old

Southgate Village....Close to A&M, but farthest from your heart

Flats on 12 (formerly Deux Chene) on 2818 is still the same old dump it has been for years

The newer, faddish places at 2818/Holleman area with the Woodlands, the Cottages, etc., we're quickly constructed (take from that what you will). Also, that area is a traffic nightmare and the police are always seen in these complexes investigating burglaries (car and apt), rapes and drug activity.

Anything on Southwest Pkwy, like Harvey, is old and trashy.

Everything else should be ok.
There are three new large complexes on/near Harvey that were built in the past two or three years 2018 that are very nice. One is on Harvey and two are on Cresent Pointe Pkwy. All three are gated and have off duty police living there. All three might be a little quieter than those closer to campus.

If a student is going to be here for a few years, I would avoid the Holleman apartment that are across 2818 to the southwest. With 2818 being widen from Hwy 60 to Wellborn road, the intersection of Holleman and 2818 is going to be a mess for the next couple of years.

Turf96
Notice not one person has said anything about proximity to the new young aggie ladies place of employment? anywhere closer to college station is best. Farther north you get more issues that come with it. With a good part time job and work ethic nothing should be too expensive here within reason. Remember this is the start of a young ladies life not a luxury retreat she is on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.