"Manufactured homes" debate

2,709 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cavscout96
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why is this even an issue? Just my humble opinion but it brings down all property values and they have communities where they can go. Is this a private owner led debate or a landlord debate?

histag10
AG
only referring to trailer homes (single & double wide) or all manufactured homes (including triple & quads)?
cavscout96
AG
It's a private property issue at the core.

If I own the land, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Now if I bought it zoned or C&R'd as "no trailers," fine. I should have known that when I bought it, but for a gov't entity to come in and change the rules after the fact, is bogus IMO.

Private property rights are, by and large, the foundation of how we do business in the US, so usurpation, even at the smallest levels, is a concern.

How would you feel if the Green New Deal passed and your five year old home had to undergo so many government mandated "upgrades" that you could not afford it. Kinda the same thing.
isitjustme
AG
It's a "neighborhood integrity" debate. The long and short of it is some want to keep vacant lot owners from putting in a single wide trailer (I believe double wide are assembled on site and thus exempt) in neighborhoods that currently have an MU1 zoning. These lots already may not have more than one trailer on them, so no impromptu trailer parks, but can be rented or owner occupied.

By changing the zoning to RD5000 (I think), after 1 year the lot owners could not put a single-wide on the lot to occupy themselves or rent out. Replacement of trailer homes would also have restrictions.

The MU1 designation was supposed to be temporary but these lots have had it since 1989. Whether or not you like mobile homes, they are a lot easier to purchase by lower income classes than building a traditional house.

I hope last night's council vote to make this zoning change is overturned as a result of the pending petition. My only dog in this fight is I'm a big fan of property rights.
cavscout96
AG
Same.

Scoopen Skwert
AG
I drive to the downtown area at least once a week. I'm going past neighborhoods that were once nice, that now look like hot garbage.

So I guess my biggest problem is code enforcement. If someone doesn't live in an area governed by an hoa, then it is up to the city.

I'll admit there are not just trashy trailers in those areas but also trashy pier and beam and slab houses.

I do appreciate the answers. Makes me think of things differently now.
AggiePhil
AG
Trust city council.
isitjustme
AG
Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

I drive to the downtown area at least once a week. I'm going past neighborhoods that were once nice, that now look like hot garbage.

So I guess my biggest problem is code enforcement. If someone doesn't live in an area governed by an hoa, then it is up to the city.

I'll admit there are not just trashy trailers in those areas but also trashy pier and beam and slab houses.

I do appreciate the answers. Makes me think of things differently now.

I'm not sure which part of the downtown area you drive to and which route you take, but most of the now formerly MU-1 zoning was far north and far west of downtown and really couldn't be seen from Texas Avenue, South College Avenue, or WJB Pkwy.

But yes, code enforcement is lacking in many areas of the city. It is up to neighbors to complain as code enforcement in most cities is complaint based. That's because they have relatively few code enforcement officers and they don't really patrol the streets like peace officers do.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I'd volunteer for that. I'd love writing some tickets. Maybe make a citizens arrest. Grass too high, trash in yard, dogs chained up, or cars on blocks. Nothing would get past these eagle eyes. Just like my hero.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
AggiePhil said:

Trust city council.

I kind of do since I saw how the ones I voted for voted on the issue.
The Brazos Kid
Some thoughts on mobile homes...

cavscout96
AG
Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

AggiePhil said:

Trust city council.

Until you don't, because they didn't...

Anyone who blindly trusts any elected body needs to go back and re-read Federalist 51
JP76
Follow the money

Trailer houses are a depreciating asset to CAD
Scoopen Skwert
AG
cavscout96 said:

Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

AggiePhil said:

Trust city council.

Anyone who blindly trusts any elected body needs to go back and re-read Federalist 51

I don't trust just an elected official. I like to call them friends.
cavscout96
AG
Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

cavscout96 said:

Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

AggiePhil said:

Trust city council.

I don't trust just an elected official. I like to call them friends.
- trusting a person is not the same as trusting a body of people, which is what the original post stated.

- are you trusting a person to look after YOUR interests or are you trusting a person to govern within the scope and boundaries of the law and to apply those governing decisions equitably across the board?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.