Relocating to Aggieland

9,457 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bushytailed
4Jersey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the best option for internet service? I don't need cable or a landline if that changes your answer any.
BCStalk
Depends on where you are moving. We only have one company that services both cities and it's Suddenlink. There are other companies like Brazos WiFi that offer wireless.

Just note that Suddenlink is terrible. You will see at least one thread a week here complaining about their service.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Depending on where you live, Suddenlink is fine. I don't have any problems with them and consistently get the speed I pay for.
KidDoc
AG
I've been here four years and suddenlink has been fantastic. They had issues in the past but seem to be doing better overall lately.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mgreen
Looks like you have some great replies. If you need any real estate advice let me know.
4Jersey
BCStalk said:

Depends on where you are moving. We only have one company that services both cities and it's Suddenlink. There are other companies like Brazos WiFi that offer wireless.

Just note that Suddenlink is terrible. You will see at least one thread a week here complaining about their service.
Turns out the apartment complex we're moving to only has Suddenlink, so that should be interesting!
gbaby23
AG
I have never had any issues with Suddenlink internet. Sometimes their TV can have issues, but for internet I have never had any issues.

For the fastest speeds and unlimited data, they are, by far, the best option even if you had choices. I would agree with others though, if you do have a problem with Suddenlink, their customer service is terrible. They have a monopoly on the area so they have no incentive to provide any service above hooking you up and getting you to start paying for internet/cable/phone.
histag10
AG
Suddenlink isnt horrible, and has improved recently. They will, however, raise your bill every. single. year.

If customer service hangs up on you (more common occurrence than you would think), call back and ask to have the issue escalated. I currently have 2 years of free STARS and Netflix due to them reviewing a call where the customer service rep put me on hold for 20 minutes, then came back forgot she didnt have it on hold, started talking about how she was tired of dealing with people wanting their services fixed, and then picked up the phone laughed and said "oops, umm, your're still here?... so i'm not going to do anything for you" and then hung up.
KidDoc
AG
gbaby23 said:

I have never had any issues with Suddenlink internet. Sometimes their TV can have issues, but for internet I have never had any issues.

For the fastest speeds and unlimited data, they are, by far, the best option even if you had choices. I would agree with others though, if you do have a problem with Suddenlink, their customer service is terrible. They have a monopoly on the area so they have no incentive to provide any service above hooking you up and getting you to start paying for internet/cable/phone.
That is a good point. I had issues with the customer service/billing due to having a lost in the mail credit card that resulted in a credit card number change then failed payment through Suddenlink. They required that I go to the office in person and pay instead of on-line or autopay. A real pain in the rear and I found it odd that an internet company would not accept payment online.

They actually wanted me to pay in cash but luckily the lady at the service desk "allowed" me to pay by card since I was right there in person.

Aside from that one hiccup which was partially my fault for not updating my autopay with a new number, they have been great.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
4Jersey
I thought of a sort of random question:

As something of a disclaimer, I know how big Texas is, so I have to imagine that there isn't a lot that can universally apply to life everywhere across the state. I also don't know anything else about Texas, really. That being said, almost everyone I've told I'm leaving has gotten very excited about the quality of the Mexican food I'm about to be around. Is there a lot of great Mexican food in BCS, or are we too far from the border for there to be excellent stuff on every corner (which is what random Michiganders are telling me to expect)? How about Mexican music? I'd be into that too if there are places to go hear some. If these things exist as abundantly as I've been hyped up to believe, what are your favorite places around?

Also, I have a second question that I just thought of right now when I said "Michiganders". What's the protocol on the word "Texan"? I feel like it's one of those state demonyms that has some extra weight to it, kind of in a league of its own, along with "Hawaiian", and just living in a place doesn't automatically grant you the right to call yourself by that name- especially if you're a transplant. Does being a resident of Texas automatically bestow Texan status onto you, or are Texans born rather than made, and everybody else is just living in Texas?
trouble
AG
Texans are born but we adopt a few of y'all outsiders.

Depends on what you expect as Mexican food. There's lots of really good texmex, there's some closer to interior Mexican places.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Good amount of quality Tex-mex. Bryan has more authentic food selections.
nought
AG
4Jersey said:

Also, I have a second question that I just thought of right now when I said "Michiganders". What's the protocol on the word "Texan"? I feel like it's one of those state demonyms that has some extra weight to it, kind of in a league of its own, along with "Hawaiian", and just living in a place doesn't automatically grant you the right to call yourself by that name- especially if you're a transplant. Does being a resident of Texas automatically bestow Texan status onto you, or are Texans born rather than made, and everybody else is just living in Texas?

There are Native Texans (born here), Texans (not born here, but here long enough to be Texans), Yankees, and some weirdos from the left coast.

You're a Yankee until proven otherwise. But everyone will still be nicer to you than most Northerners are even to each other.

Lots of good Mexican/Tex-Mex places.
BryanPooch
Park Hudson is a very nice, very convenient area of Bryan with outstanding access to restaurants, what passes for shopping locally, grocer stores and the University as it's just off University Dr.

I grew up in Massachusetts and moved here from Chicago. About two people a year say Howdy to me when not on the campus or a couple blocks from it.

Sports are important here (I've encountered many Sox and Pstriots fans, fewer Celtics and even fewer Bruins fans). It is OK to root for other teams and schools, except maybe for the University of Texas, even if you don't much like the Cowboys or Texans.

Choose your favorite Texas Barbecue carefully. You'll like the brisket. Iced tea is an an acceptable alternative to alcohol. Be careful ONLY if you don't like Blue Bell Ice Cream. Most New Englanders may find it a bit too sweet.

The arts scene can be OK. If you are starting a family this is a very good place. And church is very important and the key to life for many families.

This is an area of energy and change. It is close to the size Austin was in the early 70s and growing at about the same pace.. The Rellis Csmpus is just revving up and you may some great ground floor opportunities there.

Welcome and good luck.

Happy Patriots Day (although Red Sox nation did NOT celebratre).
BryanPooch
ratfacemcdougal
There are sooooo many texmex places around here. You can eat at one every night for a month or more, then you can join in the arguments of which one is best...by the way it's Chuy's for lunch and dinner, Jesse's for breakfast
histag10
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

There are sooooo many texmex places around here. You can eat at one every night for a month or more, then you can join in the arguments of which one is best...by the way it's Chuy's for lunch and dinner, Jesse's for breakfast

Only if you enjoy the measles
BryanPooch
Park Hudson is a very nice, very convenient area of Bryan with outstanding access to restaurants, what passes for shopping locally, grocer stores and the University as it's just off University Dr.

I grew up in Massachusetts and moved here from Chicago. About two people a year say Howdy to me when not on the campus or a couple blocks from it.

Sports are important here (I've encountered many Sox and Pstriots fans, fewer Celtics and even fewer Bruins fans). It is OK to root for other teams and schools, except maybe for the University of Texas, even if you don't much like the Cowboys or Texans.

Choose your favorite Texas Barbecue carefully. You'll like the brisket. Iced tea is an an acceptable alternative to alcohol. Be careful ONLY if you don't like Blue Bell Ice Cream. Most New Englanders may find it a bit too sweet.

The arts scene can be OK. If you are starting a family this is a very good place. And church is very important and the key to life for many families.

This is an area of energy and change. It is close to the size Austin was in the early 70s and growing at about the same pace.. The Rellis Csmpus is just revving up and you may some great ground floor opportunities there.

Welcome and good luck.

Happy Patriots Day (although Red Sox nation did NOT celebratre).
BryanPooch
histag10
AG
a double post 1 day apart?

Is this a TexAgs 1st?
4Jersey
Quote:

Texans are born but we adopt a few of y'all outsiders.
That's kind of what I thought. Noted.

Quote:

I grew up in Massachusetts
Hey cool. Whereabouts?

Quote:

And church is very important and the key to life for many families.

I've heard of some places where "which church do you go to?" is a usual small-talk question when you first meet somebody. Is BCS like that? If it is, will I be given a hard time if I say I don't go? I don't go looking for trouble or arguments when it comes to religion, so I don't want to stumble into any.

Quote:

There are sooooo many texmex places around here. You can eat at one every night for a month or more, then you can join in the arguments of which one is best
I love this place already.

histag10
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
And church is very important and the key to life for many families.

I've heard of some places where "which church do you go to?" is a usual small-talk question when you first meet somebody. Is BCS like that? If it is, will I be given a hard time if I say I don't go? I don't go looking for trouble or arguments when it comes to religion, so I don't want to stumble into any.

I dont think you will be given a hard time (though maybe occasionally - always people like that everywhere). Its more of a way for people to connect here, especially when you arent in college. The churches here offer tons of way to get involved in a community with people your age (lots of different options for things at every church for every age). The student population is also more church driven then many public colleges.

But I dont think many people, if any, would give you a hard time for not going, just dont get offended if you say you dont go and then they recommend their church (they likely think you just havent found somewhere yet).
4Jersey
I've been in town for about 56 hours now, and so far I think I quite like it. I'm still trying to get a feel for the area, and I'm somewhat overwhelmed (it's huge), but I think I'll get the hang of it. I'm liking the warm weather, and today I walked around on/near campus (nobody said howdy, I was a bit sad), I stopped into a couple of bars in northgate, I saw the offices of this fine website, I met some Mormon missionaries, and bought a bike off Craigslist from a guy who turned out to be my neighbor. All in all it's been an eventful few days and I look forward to continued Aggieland adventures. If you're near Veterans Park and want to toss a baseball around with a new Aggieland resident, I'd be delighted.

Edit: Quick question, what's a farm road? I saw them in more rural areas on the way here and I thought I got it, but then there are some here too and I don't see very many farms on University.

summergal
Our side of town is sweet! It's a great place to enjoy the outdoors. It takes me 15 minutes to get from our area to the campus.
histag10
AG
A farm road is a state/county maintained road that is used to connect rural areas to towns. There are several in town because this used to be a rural area, snd they still serve the surrounding rural areas.

Basically, not everything can be a state or us highway
halibut sinclair
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/texas-primer-the-farm-to-market-road/

Next step down from farm to market road (FM) is the county road (CR).
Oogway
Welcome to town!

All this rain? That is not what it usually does around here, so be prepared for the hot, humid and dry. However, enjoy the lovely green and nice temperatures while you are out exploring your new home. (Speaking of home, were you all at Sparty, Wolverine or one of the small schools?)

Since you moved here during baseball season, see if you can snag a ticket to Aggie baseball at Olsen Field. (Excuse me, that is Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park) The games are well attended but with most of the students starting to move home for the summer, you ought to be able to find a seat.

Speaking of students moving home, the experience of driving around town during the break is what the locals (who don't have student-dependent businesses) enjoy. It has gotten a little less noticeable as the city and university have grown, but it is still a big difference from August.

Like others were saying, FM roads reflect the rural past of America. I love the Farm to Market roads that are still further out for a day out enjoying the country.

Howdy!
histag10
AG
Home aggie baseball games are slmost done for the year - 2 today, and then Arkansas series.

Bombers games are fun to attend though!
4Jersey
Oogway said:

Welcome to town!

All this rain? That is not what it usually does around here, so be prepared for the hot, humid and dry. However, enjoy the lovely green and nice temperatures while you are out exploring your new home. (Speaking of home, were you all at Sparty, Wolverine or one of the small schools?)

Since you moved here during baseball season, see if you can snag a ticket to Aggie baseball at Olsen Field. (Excuse me, that is Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park) The games are well attended but with most of the students starting to move home for the summer, you ought to be able to find a seat.

Speaking of students moving home, the experience of driving around town during the break is what the locals (who don't have student-dependent businesses) enjoy. It has gotten a little less noticeable as the city and university have grown, but it is still a big difference from August.

Like others were saying, FM roads reflect the rural past of America. I love the Farm to Market roads that are still further out for a day out enjoying the country.

Howdy!

She was working at Eastern Michigan after attending for both undergrad and masters programs. This is a whole different thing in just about every way! The upgraded football experience is just the very beginning!

I saw someone else mention that there's one series left for Aggie baseball, so I'd love to try and get into a game before the season's up.

The traffic has been...something. I'm glad it's going to lighten up a bit soon. The day I got here and returned my UHaul, I sat waiting for 20 minutes for somebody to let me out of the gas station. That was not a lot of fun.

I got to see a lot of the farm roads coming down from Texarkana on the way through. The rolling hills in the northeastern part of the state are beautiful! Hauling a 20 foot truck with an entire apartment in the back and pulling a car trailer up those hills was an adventure and a challenge, but I got us here in one piece with nothing scary to report!
bushytailed
AG
Final exams end after Tuesday, then graduation will be this coming Thursday through Saturday. We just have to make it through next weekend before things die down for summer. That should give you a chance to get acclimated to town before things get insane in late August (start of fall semester, football, etc.).

OP, are you a runner by chance? I can connect you to a local running group. It'll give you a chance to meet locals that like to run and drink beer afterwards.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.