Thoughts After Day 1 of Texas Ave. Construction

4,186 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Love Gun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Between Mitchell Pkwy (FM 2818) and Deacon.

My thoughts: It is a cluster ****.

Can't wait for them to finish in up in 2023 or so.
chigger
AG
I suggest they turn off the blinking yellow arrow for the left turn east onto 2818 ( in front of BB&T). If there are even two cars in the opposite turn lane then you can't see anything coming until it's right at the intersection. Someone is going to get broadsided. Turn that off and make it just red/green while construction is going on.
gbaby23
AG
chigger said:

I suggest they turn off the blinking yellow arrow for the left turn east onto 2818 ( in front of BB&T). If there are even two cars in the opposite turn lane then you can't see anything coming until it's right at the intersection. Someone is going to get broadsided. Turn that off and make it just red/green while construction is going on.
That would make too much sense
oklaunion
chigger said:

I totally agree. I was sitting in that lane the other day, unable to see around the oncoming turners and the idiot behind me was blaring his horn. I could just imagine beginning my turn and an oncoming motorcycle that I couldn't see T-boning me.
91_Aggie
AG
Always surprised at how many people want a nanny state.
oklaunion
91_Aggie said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, in this case, the state is the one which set up this situation.

At the mentioned intersection, the traffic on 2818 headed west has a single left turn lane onto Texas Business 6.
The facing traffic on 2818, east bound, has 2 left turn lanes. The facing left turn lanes are offset, meaning the westbound turner cannot see around the oncoming turning traffic. A blinking yellow arrow only begs a gamble to turn. It's not worth even one life. Even you realize the types of drivers we have around here.
aggiepaintrain
AG
AVOID
txgardengirl
I use this route daily and this has been an anticipated problem for a while. Totally rerouted myself today - likely through June lol -

Biggest concern - traffic exiting from Hwy 6 N to Texas Ave is backing up onto the highway. There are going to be some serious collisions and I don't want to be near them!
chigger
AG
91_Aggie said:

Gimme a break. Simple temporary fix for a temporary issue. Pardon me if I don't inherently trust everyone behind the wheel of a car.
ratfacemcdougal
As long as we are 'itchin....the new walmart access is wayyyy to small.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Seriously, what is it with this city and their unnatural love of putting medians everywhere???!??
cslifer
It is txdot not the city.
drred4
GiveEmHellBill said:

Seriously, what is it with this city and their unnatural love of putting medians everywhere???!??
+1

places that do not need them at many times.
techno-ag
AG
cslifer said:

It is txdot not the city.

Obligatory:

cslifer
I think we all enjoy poking at both of them, I just want to be sure Txdot gets the credit for this brilliant idea.
Carny89
Oh to live in bryan and 1 min from work....
chigger
AG
Just drove by what is likely to be just one of a number of large accidents at this intersection. Be careful when going through it.
woodiewood1
Accidents at intersections, and most everywhere else, to me are like vehicles being hit by trains...they should occur rarely.

If everyone kept their attention on their driving, kept their speed at a level relative to the situation present, and didn't try to beat red lights, there would be very few accidents on city streets

Very few accidents in cities are caused by vehicle mechanical failures or road conditions.
cz308
GiveEmHellBill said:

Guess UPS is so successful in making mostly right turns only that TXDOT decided to try it also.... On a side note, have you seen the clustered up plans for GBush and 2818? That is a true cluster.
chigger
AG
I agree in general, however this one is made worse by the way they have routed the traffic for construction, which is why I suggested removing the flashing yellow arrow from the cycle while construction is going on. You just can't see well enough when there are cars waiting to turn. Normally the intersection is fine.
91_Aggie
AG
how many accidents at that blinking yellow light since construction started?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Another big wreck today at 2818 & Texas
i guess when a few people die the problem will get fixed
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.