Urgent Dog Question

4,072 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Muzzleblast
Ryandawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone abandoned the sweetest dog in our neighborhood in College Station, and she's basically been living in my front yard for about a week. Even with these major thunderstorms she just stays out there. She has some ant bites on her leg, but other than that seems to be in great shape. She has a collar but no tags. If I didn't already have several dogs I would take her in a second, but I can't.

Where can I take her to give her the best chance of being adopted by a loving owner (she's a pit or pit mix so should I be concerned about her chances at the pound)? Is there a rescue place around here? Does AggieDarlin still post on this board?
Monywolf
Have you checked to see if she has a chip?
Stupe
S
Aggieland Humane Society will check and see if she is chipped.
chigger
AG
Someone has been doing this recently. We got a pit mix dropped off on our front door in January. Unchipped, no collars or tags. Sweet dog, crappy owners. Heard two other stories of the same thing.

Take it to the Humane society.
Muzzleblast
Look up Lizzies HAND on Facebook.

She's the one you want to speak with.

Momlaw is the poster on here that has lots of connections as well.

Good luck. Hate these dog dumpers.
bionat80
https://www.facebook.com/LWHadoptables/
Ryandawg
Muzzleblast said:

Look up Lizzies HAND on Facebook.

She's the one you want to speak with.

Momlaw is the poster on here that has lots of connections as well.

Good luck. Hate these dog dumpers.
Thank you. Thank you all for the great info. I don't understand how someone could just dump a dog like this. Is it because she's TOO nice and sweet and they don't want those qualities (in this breed)?
AggieDarlin
AG
I don't know their specific process, but it might be worth it to reach out to Rescue Dogs Rock on facebook. Include a lot of good pics in your message. They operate nationally, but have a lot of vet partners and transporters in Texas. They, like many other national and local rescues, transport dogs north to other states that don't have an over-population issue like we do. There are seriously waiting lists up there for dogs and these are wonderful, loving homes. Even if they don't take on the dog, it'll be worth it to find local rescues who also regularly transport north. As always, the more you're willing to contribute to medical care (vaccines, spay/neuter, HW testing, preventatives), the more chance you have of a rescue being willing to take on a dog or network for you. They're usually operating at or beyond capacity, so not having to utilize as many resources is a load off their backs.

I'm no longer familiar with the CS network, but other transport rescues I know of beside Rescue Dogs Rock include Niagara Dog Rescue, Compass Dog Rescue, Hand Me Down Hounds, and God's Dogs. Again, I have no clue if they'd be willing to help with this pup you have. At the least, ask who they could refer you to if they can't help directly.

To somewhat repeat what I said above, you'll have much better chances if you get vetting done and if you're willing to foster this dog before the next transport date rolls around.

If you're willing to take the dog to the vet, this is what is normally necessary:

- Rabies, DHLPP, Bordetella vaccines
- Heartworm test (a positive test is not always a dealbreaker)
- Fecal Check
- Preventatives...at least a month or two of a flea and heartworm preventative to get the dog started.
- Spay/Neuter (the shelter might have vouchers to lessen cost)

If I think of anything else or some other info comes up, I'll let you know. Thanks for caring for the dog
AggieDarlin
AG
Another thing:

The pit/pit mix thing won't be a big deal. If you can post pics here, please do. Any specific behavioral details you can provide? Like does she bark at anything, does she approach you guys or seem shy, have you seen how she reacts to other dogs/cats/children (this is not a pit-related thing, so don't worry about your response - it's an important question to be considered for every single dog)?
momlaw
AG
Thinking this is the blue eyed girl, posted on Lizzie's Hand FB.

Edited to add text from post:
Lizzie's HAND: Helping Abandoned & Neglected Dogs
3 hrs
COLLEGE STATION,TX
I met this sweet beauty today who is probably only about a year old! Her finder cannot keep her, and I am trying to help him to come up with a plan. Will you help us?? He is willing to sponsor her initial vetting and get her skin seen to (patchy hair loss and bites most likely to fleas is my guess). If there is a rescue in a better position than myself to take her, that would be awesome, but if anyone is interested in adopting her, that would be even better!! I do not know how she is with other dogs, cats, or kids though.
momlaw
AggieDarlin
AG
Awesome, thanks! Dogs like her, especially with those eyes, are quick to get snatched up by folks up north.
Ryandawg
AggieDarlin said:

Awesome, thanks! Dogs like her, especially with those eyes, are quick to get snatched up by folks up north.
That's her. She seems to be great with other dogs. They walk by all the time and she lets out a tiny quiet "woof" and that's it.

I've never seen her around kids, but she is VERY good with adults.
Muzzleblast
I've been talking to Lauren at Lizzie's HAND.

She going to work some details then this girl is coming out to my farm in Grimes County until she can find a forever home.
Ryandawg
Muzzleblast said:

I've been talking to Lauren at Lizzie's HAND.

She going to work some details then this girl is coming out to my farm in Grimes County until she can find a forever home.
I love this place. Thanks for letting me know about Lizzie's HAND.

She has now had all her shots and is heartworm free!

Now the only problem is going to be giving her up! (Mostly kidding)
Ryandawg
Monywolf said:

Have you checked to see if she has a chip?
There was no chip.
Ryandawg
Muzzleblast
You've done a bunch to get this girl to a much better place.

Lauren just texted and we are working the handover.

I'll have her by mid week. She'll love it out here.
Ryandawg
Muzzleblast said:

You've done a bunch to get this girl to a much better place.

Lauren just texted and we are working the handover.

I'll have her by mid week. She'll love it out here.
Thank YOU! I can't wait for her to get there.

momlaw
AG
I love Muzzleblast.
That dog is one fortunate dog.
God bless.
momlaw
Muzzleblast
I posted a naming contest yesterday on Twitter.

Last night my phone started blowing up. Tons of comments and name suggestions from all over the world.

Had to write them on a legal pad to track it all.

Get the feeling from all the response that she will get that new home very soon.

Until then she can hang out with me, Buckshot, and his dog buddies that come out for farm time.

The post on Twitter is from my account @bulletzandboots
Ryandawg
Muzzleblast said:

I posted a naming contest yesterday on Twitter.

Last night my phone started blowing up. Tons of comments and name suggestions from all over the world.

Had to write them on a legal pad to track it all.

Get the feeling from all the response that she will get that new home very soon.

Until then she can hang out with me, Buckshot, and his dog buddies that come out for farm time.

The post on Twitter is from my account @bulletzandboots
We called her Arya. She seemed to like it! I love those names though. Really missing her right now.
momlaw
AG
She has that Arya, "I can see things about which you do not know." gaze.
momlaw
Ryandawg
We agree!
Muzzleblast

Update :
The winner of the Twitter naming contest was Stella.

She is in boarding waiting on her "girl surgery".

That will be Tuesday then I'll pick her up Thursday morning so I can keep her quiet for a few days during recovery.

After that we'll work on that furever home. Until then it'll be farm life out here in Grimes County.

Check Lizzies HAND on FB for updates and I'll have her on my Twitter feed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.