Anybody get their 2019 property tax values yet?

28,664 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RGRAg1/75
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drred4 said:

RV5 - VERY GOOD QUALITY MASONRY VENEER

RV6P - EXCELLENT QUALITY+MASONRY VENEER

I hope this helps. The appraisal district should supply you with the excel sheet with codes I would think still unless they changed.

Three years ago I got a little chart from them with pictures of each level. It made quite a bit of sense until you get to level 5. 5-10 seem to be more based upon where the home is built than the actual quality of the home. I can build the same home at Pebble Creek and Traditions which would be two different levels in their system.

Which would make sense except you have separated the land and you are saying it is based upon the quality of construction not the location in the ordinance.

drred4
I am not saying anything. That info I posted is straight from the appraisal district info they sent me a year or so ago.
AggieAces06
AG
Thank you!

We will request the chart from the appraisal district just to double check, but this helps.
drred4
chrisfield said:

Thank goodness that's not subjective
yeah, the whole appraisal process.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Lowered my overall valuation BUT increased my "land" by 12.5%. Guessing since they lowered total they're not required to send a notice. Thinking I'll still protest land valuation (increased everything around me by same amount). The equivalent acre would be valued at >$300k. No way I shouldn't fight that. Pretty ridiculous
isitjustme
AG
Went and appealed today. Reduced my valuation and assessment so I'm happy. A lot of people were in to protest.

Anyway, the process was quick and fairly easy, and I had localized data that helped me out. But I really wasn't challenged on it and might could have had mor taken off.
soso33
Where did you get your "localized data?"
Thanks
isitjustme
AG
soso33 said:

BWhere did you get your "localized data?"
Thanks
From the appraisal district website. I got the values and calculated the recent increases for the 4 houses nearest me and it showed we were hosed compared to 3 of the 4. My 10% homestead exemption kicked in each of last 2 years, which I also stressed. The appraiser I spoke with was very nice about it all.
aggiepaintrain
AG
he means searching by your street and streets near you on brazoscad.org to look for favorable comps to bolster your claim of being overvalued.

isitjustme
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

he means searching by your street and streets near you on brazoscad.org to look for favorable comps to bolster your claim of being overvalued.

Whatever works, but intentionally looked at the 2 houses on either side of us. Since I thought that would work I didn't look any further but probably would have if I needed to. Across the street are cul de sacs so I didn't look on those.
RXAggie02
AG
Please let this letter serve as my notice to appeal my property tax assessment for the following reasons. I have provided details on why my home is overassessed below. According to the Property Record that Brazos County has filed, I have noted the following reasons why the County assessment of my property of $483,100 ($156.70 per SQ FT) is grossly inflated.
The following homes and properties were recently sold in my neighborhood. These are examples of comparable homes, as they have similar amount of square feet, improvements, and age to the home that I am appealing. I wish to make the following comparables to my home which will show the property taxes on my house are too high. I have also included the summary sheets for all 29 comparables:
  • Average Price per sq ft on all Comps is $134.11 (removing both high and low extremes brings average to $133.73). The county valuation of my property is $22.59 per SQ FT OVER comparables sold in my neighborhood.
  • Median Price of all Comps is $132.49 per SQ FT
  • Average Comps sold in 2019 is $130.29 per SQ FT
  • Average Comps sold in 2018 is $134.91 per SQ FT
  • Square foot of all comps ranges from 2880 to 3609 (averaging 3087 SQ FT which is 4 SQ FT more than my dwelling)
  • Average Sale Price for all comparables is $414,300 (without extremes is $413,100)
IT can be seen from the graph below of sale price per square foot versus date sold that the typical or average is consistently hovering around $130 per SQ FT and easily can tell that an outliers such as $156.70 as the county has valued my home, is out of line of what is really happening in my neighborhood.

Mine increase 56K, most probably because I fought it and was reduced last year. Thats 13.67% increase of last year!

Total BS!
RXAggie02
AG
Should also note that I went in to appeal and They reduced to $147 sq ft. I am meeting with the board for more as I have data that should be on my side.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Been in front of the board 4/5 times and have had valuation lowered all but once. It's the good fight and worth the time.
BetsyParker
AG
Following up on our experience protesting the CAD's proposed value.

First, we attempted to obtain the CAD's evidence packet for our property. Through my research, this is something we are entitled to have under "House Bill 201". My husband was told he'd have to file a protest to be able to see the evidence packet. He asked the clerk to point him to the part of the law that indicates this. After putting him on hold, the clerk came back to the phone and told my husband that she had misunderstood the information she received and that he could obtain the evidence packet without filing a protest first. We did not get around to going back over to the CAD to get the evidence packet before we submitted our protest.

We had also contacted a local realtor and asked for sales comps because, on the protest, you have to include what you think the value of the property is. With the comps we obtained from the realtor, and the spreadsheet I made of proposed land values ($/sq ft) in our neighborhood, we arrived at a value for the protest form and we protested "unequal appraisal" and "market value".

The CAD made us an offer of 11.29% off of its original proposed value, but this is still more than we believe our property's value is (based on our comps). Our options are to accept the offer, withdraw our protest, or reject the offer and meet with the ARB. They did include the evidence packet and it gives us information that we will use to continue to argue for a lower valuation. We plan to reject the offer.

One thing that REALLY makes me angry is this: the proposed value that we appealed is represented no where in the evidence packet. In fact, the offer we received in response to our protest is exactly the median value that the CAD's sales comps calculated..EXACTLY the amount. How does the CAD justify arriving at this number via its comps and then jacking it up 11.29% to arrive at the original appraised value???? There is no data in this packet to support the original appraised value. What the heck?!

I suggest everyone protest the proposed value every year. In the very least, I think it is important to make the CAD show how it is determining value.
Stucco
Protesting these days feels like I'm pushing a cork underwater. I can get it down from the assessment, but the next year they forget everything and the computer spits out the same numbers it would have even if I had done nothing at all the year before.
dallasiteinsa02
Stucco said:

Protesting these days feels like I'm pushing a cork underwater. I can get it down from the assessment, but the next year they forget everything and the computer spits out the same numbers it would have even if I had done nothing at all the year before.
Yep. They must throw a big reset button party.
Rex Racer
AG
House went down in value $2,000, land value went up $14,000!
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Pulling this game all over Texas right now. This way if they get a higher percentage of your value in land it will NEVER go down.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Our-turn-to-rule said:

Pulling this game all over Texas right now. This way if they get a higher percentage of your value in land it will NEVER go down.

This is what makes me most angry about ours - land stayed exactly the same, structure went up over $60k. Does not make sense.
Rex Racer
AG
Our-turn-to-rule said:

I think I know why this happened with mine. About 12 years ago, the City of Bryan sold a vacant lot next to Camelot Park that is in the flood plain to a private citizen for $7,500. The guy who bought it thought about putting a structure on it, but he was not able to make it work in a cost-effective manner. So he put the lot on the market, where it sat for a number of years because he was trying to get $69,000 for it (although he dropped the price many times over the years). Well, the price finally got low enough that my next door neighbors bought the lot in order to ensure it remains as is. I'm guessing the fact that they purchased that lot drove up the "value" of my lot. Or at least that is the argument the CAD would make if I protest.
MisterShipWreck
I have not gotten mine yet, but I called yesterday. I was told that tax statements for condos and some other properties have not gone out yet
happyinBCS
If the total property value is at or below true market value I don't see how you can win a protest mine went up 10% and it is still below true market value, how they price the land and structure does not matter only the total does
RGRAg1/75
AG
happyinBCS said:

If the total property value is at or below true market value I don't see how you can win a protest mine went up 10% and it is still below true market value, how they price the land and structure does not matter only the total does

One only knows "true market value" when one sells the property. Everything else is an estimate.
happyinBCS
True market value varies but you can get a market / bank appraisal from many good appraisers in our local area so to answer your question you don't have to sell your property to establish the true value
aggiepaintrain
AG
that's is still an opinion
RGRAg1/75
AG
happyinBCS said:

True market value varies but you can get a market / bank appraisal from many good appraisers in our local area so to answer your question you don't have to sell your property to establish the true value

We have different definitions of true market value. To me, true market value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Not the appraisal, private or district.
lost my dog
RGRAg1/75 said:

happyinBCS said:

We have different definitions of true market value. To me, true market value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Not the appraisal, private or district.
So appraisals should be set at last sale price? Or you neighbor's sale price?

It's always going to be a guessing game. As I said before, if Texas required reporting of sales prices, the whole process would be more fair, since then there would be evidence to back up appraisals. But we are too much into our privacy to do that in this state.
oklaunion
"But we are too much into our privacy to do that in this state."

A buddy of mine used to live in the upper mid-west and then in the northeast. I forget where it was where they taxed personal property every year and he was subject to a tax man entering his house and inventorying his stuff for taxation. Yeah, that would go over down here.
woodiewood1
Rex Racer said:

Our-turn-to-rule said:

I think I know why this happened with mine. About 12 years ago, the City of Bryan sold a vacant lot next to Camelot Park that is in the flood plain to a private citizen for $7,500. The guy who bought it thought about putting a structure on it, but he was not able to make it work in a cost-effective manner. So he put the lot on the market, where it sat for a number of years because he was trying to get $69,000 for it (although he dropped the price many times over the years). Well, the price finally got low enough that my next door neighbors bought the lot in order to ensure it remains as is. I'm guessing the fact that they purchased that lot drove up the "value" of my lot. Or at least that is the argument the CAD would make if I protest.
The CAD should not use the price that your neighbor paid for the lot next door. They should only use sales prices from arms-length transactions in any calculation.

mal93
AG
I've been fighting my taxes every year for the past four years. I've always been able to get the appraised value reduced. The first couple of years I was able to get it reduced just using the online protest. Last year, the online protest didn't get a reduction. But, I was able to get what I wanted by meeting with one of the appraisers. My advice is to find homes with a similar class or better in the same neighborhood with similar lot size or bigger that have lower tax $/sqft. Then use these as your comps pointing out the inequity of values.

I will say, that it appears that if you do fight your taxes and win, they seem to come back and hit you harder the next year. Last year they hit me with an almost 10% increase and I was able to get that down to less than 2% increase. This year, they hit me with a 30% increase, which is the second highest increase in my entire neighborhood.

Anyway... last year when I protested, I obtained a copy of the class code. If you ask them for it, they will give you a copy. Here's a summary taken from the "Brazos Central Appraisal District Residential Cost Guide, General Guidelines for Residential Classification"...

R - Residential
V - Exterior is masonry type: Brick, Block, and/or stone
F - Exterior is wood type, Wood, Hardy Plank, Stucco, Vinyl, Asbestos and/or Cement board.
P - Plus. This represents an addition to the classification when a home does not fit within the boundaries of two independent classes, therefore a "P (Plus) factor" is applied. For instance, when a lower class is too low of quality for the home and the next highest class is too high of quality a P factor would be applied. It is also used when a home is exceptional or inferior for its class.
1-9 P= Numerical classification is in order of quality, i.e. 1= Lowest Quality and 9P = Highest Quality

The phrases they have associated with each...
RV1, RV1P, RF1, RF1P: Substandard Quality
RV2, RV2P, RF2, RF2P: Low Quality
RV3, RV3P, RF3, RF3P: Fair Quality
RV4, RV4P, RF4, RF4P: Average Quality
RV5, RV5P, RF5, RF5P: Above Average Quality
RV6, RV6P, RF6, RF6P: Good Quality
RV7, RV7P, RF7, RF7P: Excellent Quality
RV8, RV8P, RF8, RF8P: Outstanding Quality
RV9, RV9P, RF9, RF9P: Extravagant/Luxury Quality

The set of guidelines does include a more detailed description for each level and include sample floor plans and pictures.

Hope this helps some of you out. Good luck!
AgFan247
AG
Up 2.7%
woodometer
AG
Rep John Raney said today that he wants Brazos County citizens to annex Blinn and create a taxing district here so that Brazos County will have permanent seats on the Blinn Board. Yeah another taxing entitiy.
Linz02Ag
AG
The initial appraised value delivered by your appraisal district has been deemed appropriate for your property. Please select whether you accept or reject the original appraised value by clicking the corresponding button.

A one year increase of 35.77% was "deemed appropriate", lol ok
nthomas99
AG
Anybody have any successful experiences to share from informal meetings with the CAD yet?

I went in two weeks ago after they raised my rates 10+% for the third straight year, the guy showed me one sale in Jan 2018 in my subdivision that they were basing this year's increases on. He agreed that was insufficient evidence but that his "hands were tied." My realtor tells me across the board with his clients that they're refusing to budge prior to the ARB hearing.

I've got MLS comps in hand now to back me up and am wondering if it's worth my time to stop by again prior to my formal ARB hearing.
happyinBCS
With the comps you have what do you think your property value vs CAD should be?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.