Anybody get their 2019 property tax values yet?

28,683 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RGRAg1/75
The Brazos Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up 18k here...
EBrazosAg
AG
Up 10%. Glad I had BTA drive it down last year. Now on speed dial .....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrazosWifi
happyinBCS said:

As bad as it is for all of us it is going to be tough to win. Case in point the house down the street from me was up 11% and it just sold / closed in Feb. actual sold price was 28,000 more than the new CAD appraisal. They have access to MLS data and with Texas being a non disclosure state to me that is not fair. So of course never fill out the silly form on their website and that they mail to you asking for the price, they don't need it anyway because they have all the data they need in the MLS.

The Appraisal District does NOT have access to the MLS.

They can search real estate websites to check comps but they don't get access to the sale data. This leads to educated guesses of market values.

They err on the low side to be safe but they are required to be close (I forget the exact percentage) to market or face the state coming in and taking them over.

Source: a good friend who has worked there for ages.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
JimInBCS
A case could be made that we'd possibly be better off if they did have access to MLS, if they would actually utilize the data properly and get the values more accurate. Perhaps that would minimize the wild fluctuations that seem to occur every year, and would help ensure some degree of fairness.
BlueMiles
AG
BrazosWifi said:

The Appraisal District does NOT have access to the MLS.

They can search real estate websites to check comps but they don't get access to the sale data. This leads to educated guesses of market values.

They err on the low side to be safe but they are required to be close (I forget the exact percentage) to market or face the state coming in and taking them over.

Source: a good friend who has worked there for ages.

Educated guesses on tens of thousands of properties leads to interesting results.
BrazosWifi
JimInBCS said:

A case could be made that we'd possibly be better off if they did have access to MLS, if they would actually utilize the data properly and get the values more accurate. Perhaps that would minimize the wild fluctuations that seem to occur every year, and would help ensure some degree of fairness.

One could dream. I'm not sure who grants access to the MLS but I am inclined to agree.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
aggiepaintrain
AG
unless the rules changed from last year the appraisal district absolutely had access to MLS, they love telling me all the sold comps in the ARB hearings I've attended
RGRAg1/75
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

unless the rules changed from last year the appraisal district absolutely had access to MLS, they love telling me all the sold comps in the ARB hearings I've attended

They talked about comps during my protest last year too. Didn't help their case, however.
Drilltime
Met with them two years ago and was told it is not legal for them to access MLS. But they get the data through protests filed by property owners or companies who represent them. It's a little random.

Ours went up 30% last year, which means we paid 10% and are locked in to two more years of the same.
mgreen
happyinBCS said:

As bad as it is for all of us it is going to be tough to win. Case in point the house down the street from me was up 11% and it just sold / closed in Feb. actual sold price was 28,000 more than the new CAD appraisal. They have access to MLS data and with Texas being a non disclosure state to me that is not fair. So of course never fill out the silly form on their website and that they mail to you asking for the price, they don't need it anyway because they have all the data they need in the MLS.
The head of the tax office told me they are not allowed access to MLS data as of a couple years ago. He was not happy about that.
TSJ
AG
So our total value went up 9.7% but still 25k below when we bought the house in 2016. Do we have grounds to protest? This is a first house and new territory for us.
WheelinAg
AG
They get the selling price when people fill out the paper work the county sends after you buy a house. Most people probably think it's mandatory to fill it out and return.
lost my dog
All these complaints make me wish Texas were a mandatory reporting sales-price state. Yes, there is some loss of privacy, but at least then we might understand (and be able to fight in a logical manner) the numbers we are given.

I do think there is a lot of geographic variation in how much assessments increased across the district. It would be interesting to see where the "hot" areas are
woodiewood1
BrazosWifi said:

JimInBCS said:

One could dream. I'm not sure who grants access to the MLS but I am inclined to agree.
The MLS is owned and operated by a private association under the umbrella of NAR (National Association of Realtors) and is a private entity. There isn't and should not be access to any sold data without going through a member of the private association.
aggiepaintrain
AG
woodiewood1 said:

BrazosWifi said:

JimInBCS said:

The MLS is owned and operated by a private association under the umbrella of NAR (National Association of Realtors) and is a private entity. There isn't and should not be access to any sold data without going through a member of the private association.

which is why they are getting sued for being a cartel
woodiewood1
aggiepaintrain said:

woodiewood1 said:

BrazosWifi said:

JimInBCS said:

which is why they are getting sued for being a cartel
The lawsuit has little if anything to do with disclosure of sales prices, but is targeted towards the requirement of seller's having to pay buyer's commissions.

Even if the Board of Realtors and the MLS was eliminated, access to sales information would not be possible without each seller's permission. Non-disclosure is Texas state law not a rule or policy of NAR or the MLS.
keo1
AG
house went down $6,800 but land went up $121,170. Total increase of 114,370 that's like 29%. That's on a house built in 1968 in Bryan no way I could sell my house for what they have it valued at.....
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
oklaunion
I have been down to protest 10 out of the past 11 years. Worst experiences were when Kurten was working there. Generally won but the stress was a bummer for about 3 weeks until I confronted them.

I cannot tell anyone how relieved I was upon finally opening my envelopes and discovering that out of 4 properties, 3 remained the same as last year and one increased valuation 4 grand. I will take this year off. Good luck to all of you and, remember, wait until the last few days to protest. They should have an idea if enough revenue will be raised to satisfy the county's guess at their budget.
MisterShipWreck
happyinBCS said:

I didn't fill my card out - they sent it 3 times. Yet, when I went there last year for something - they STILL knew exactly what I paid.... It doesn't matter - they still know.

I closed in Dec 2016
techno-ag
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

happyinBCS said:

I didn't fill my card out - they sent it 3 times. Yet, when I went there last year for something - they STILL knew exactly what I paid.... It doesn't matter - they still know.

I closed in Dec 2016
Mortgages are public records.
woodiewood1
techno-ag said:

MisterShipWreck said:

happyinBCS said:

I closed in Dec 2016
Mortgages are public records.
The amount of the lien is on the DOT which is recorded at the courthouse, but there is no way to determine whether the borrower had 100% financing or put an amount down such as 3.5%, 5%, 10%, 50%, etc.

If they know the exact amount and you didn't give it, then someone with access to the MLS is giving them information. That's a big no-no and could get a Realtor to lose their license and get prosecuted.

No one other than the seller has a right to know what I have paid for anything unless I elect to tell them.

happyinBCS
So how do you explain this .. my friend bought a house and paid cash with Texas being a non disclosure state the deed says 10 dollars and other valuable consideration and Zillow and all the other sites has the exact amount he paid to the penny
apoglo12
AG
Can anyone recommend someone to protest property taxes on my behalf? I'm an out of town owner. Thanks!
dubi
AG
happyinBCS said:

So how do you explain this .. my friend bought a house and paid cash with Texas being a non disclosure state the deed says 10 dollars and other valuable consideration and Zillow and all the other sites has the exact amount he paid to the penny

Maybe the seller sent in the form asking about the selling price?
AggieAces06
AG
We are looking into the protest this year...

Does anyone know what the "Class CD" abbreviations mean? Example: Our's is RV6P and our neighbor's is RV5.

Is there anywhere this can be found? We can't find it on the appraisal website.
aggiepaintrain
AG
The higher the class code the more your house cost to build. If you can argue your house should be reclassified to your neighbors rating then that is the best way to lower the value of your house, don't hold your breath though.

AggieAces06
AG
But are there any definitions or guides to look at? What do the abbreviations mean?
woodometer
AG
The appraisals are the smallest part of the problem. Unsustainable property tax increases will continue until the tax payers wise up and realize that every year when the taxing entities say the rate is staying the same that your taxes you pay are going up. Its like the taxing entities think they are doing us a favor. We have to start electing fiscally responsible local representatives. The electorate is very uneducated.
OnlyANobody
This has (deliberately, imho) become very difficult to find. You used to be able to mouse over the Class CD and see the definitions. Now, the most recent document I can find is on page 69 here: City of Bryan 2015-19 Consolidated Plan The RV__ or RF__ ratings are listed there. Apparently, we have a LOT of houses in excellent to new condition around here....
AggieAces06
AG
Thanks! That is a little helpful. The rating makes more sense now, since we are a new build.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
$25,000 up from last year! Unbelievable
dubi
AG
AggieAces06 said:

We are looking into the protest this year...

Does anyone know what the "Class CD" abbreviations mean? Example: Our's is RV6P and our neighbor's is RV5.

Is there anywhere this can be found? We can't find it on the appraisal website.
You can submit an open records request asking for a list of all the codes and descriptions.
91_Aggie
AG
woodometer said:

The appraisals are the smallest part of the problem. Unsustainable property tax increases will continue until the tax payers wise up and realize that every year when the taxing entities say the rate is staying the same that your taxes you pay are going up. Its like the taxing entities think they are doing us a favor. We have to start electing fiscally responsible local representatives. The electorate is very uneducated.
That doesn't seem right.

If your house is appraised at 10% higher every year, that means you are paying 10% more in property taxes every year. Any tax increases on property tax rate pale in comparison to that.

I know it has been 20 years for me, but my actual property taxes I pay will be 2.5x higher than that first year.

If I only had to deal with tax rate increases I'd only be paying about a small percentage more.

The only benefit(s) I get out of having my property appraised at a higher rate are:
1) I can sell it for that much
2) If I were part of the culture that things borrowing is the thing to do, I could get a really huge home equity loan.

If taxes were not re-evaluated on a property until it was actually sold for the amount it is appraised at, that would alleviate all this.
drred4

RV5 - VERY GOOD QUALITY MASONRY VENEER

RV6P - EXCELLENT QUALITY+MASONRY VENEER

I hope this helps. The appraisal district should supply you with the excel sheet with codes I would think still unless they changed.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Thank goodness that's not subjective

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.