Anybody get their 2019 property tax values yet?

28,671 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RGRAg1/75
Turf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up well over 10% and 40K. My i laws close to Houston went up 31.5%. Now do we see a need to close the borders yesterday? The use of hard earned money to pay for more government programs is ridiculous.
hudmoon
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Texas-property-tax-bill-clears-Senate-over-big-city-backlash-508634331.html

I used O'connor and associates last year. I went in for an informal hearing before I hired them and I was able to get them down $500 more than O'connor and associates did. I didn't take the deal because I throughly they would do better. Gonna try to fight it again myself this year. This sht is getting ridiculous.
BetsyParker
AG
The 2019 proposed value of our land is an increase of 80.7% from the 2018 value! Improvements are .3% decrease.

We have only protested one time in the 18 years we have lived in this home. In 2013 the proposed value of our land increased 56.5% and we protested (improvement value decreased 24.74%). At that time, the appraisal district told us that they had hired a land appraisal company and that company determined that land value in our area was and had been extremely under-appraised, so the appraisal district was rectifying this.

Then, in 2014 land value decreased 39%, but improvements increased 26.68%.

They sure make it difficult to understand and accept the rationale they use because these seem like WILD swings in valuations from year-to-year. If land had been extremely under-appraised in 2013, then how did it decrease by so much the next year?

This year's 80% increase makes the 2013 increase look like a "gift".

Edited to add - this property is in Bryan.
Turf96
Ever heard of the term pencil whipping the books? Well as far as I can see Brazos county is heading down the home stretch of the triple crown of the tax collection derby. You know other people's money. It's the kind they like to spend.
gunan01
AG
Turf96 said:

Up well over 10% and 40K. My i laws close to Houston went up 31.5%. Now do we see a need to close the borders yesterday? The use of hard earned money to pay for more government programs is ridiculous.

How does closing the borders keep valuations from going up? Please be specific.
Gigem314
AG
gunan01 said:

Turf96 said:

How does closing the borders keep valuations from going up? Please be specific.
More people, more entitlements, more govt programs, more need to raise taxes and get whatever they can out of those who pay.

Not saying immigration is the primary cause...but it doesn't help. Just look at how strained the public schools are in many parts of Texas.

Obviously you've felt the need to make this into more of an issue then it needs to be. Not interested in rehashing it.
gunan01
AG
Do you have any hard data to back up this claim, or is it just what you "feel"?
gunan01
AG
Not interested in derailing, but anyone who thinks illegal immigration and not closing the borders are the reason why the CAD is inappropriately raising valuations is just giving them an excuse. Plenty of other examples of unnecessary spending by our government overlords out there.
Turf96
May I ask

[You may not ask in that manner on this board. -Staff]
Turf96
Let's try it this way. What is one of the single largest line items on your property tax? School district tax. Why do you think they keep needing more money? Look at the free lunch and see how many you have that are not here legally. Play dumb if you like but open borders is just more mouths to feed. For me I'm tired of my and other taxes going up to pay for many issues. You are being obtuse to say that many of the government programs are not there to prop up people that are not in our country the proper way. Yes we have plenty of other issues but why not cut the cord on what is easy to cut. Close the borders and prove me wrong that our taxes keep going up. I'm willing to bet a closed border and same taxes we would be swimming in money.
gunan01
AG
I don't think illegal aliens (and the horror having to give their kids free lunches) have anything to do with our property valuations rising at a ridiculous rate. I don't think "closing the border" (isn't the border already closed?) is going to do anything about these high valuations.

If you have any hard data (like how much money our county gives to schools for free lunches for illegal aliens) to back up your assertions please post it. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a lot of "feelings" and "theories".
techno-ag
AG
Can we please go back to comparing property tax increases instead of advocating for illegal immigration?

Thx.
Oogway
Looks like the southies are getting the tax hammer hard. Ours was up but <10%.

happyinBCS
I would love to find out the dollar value of NEW commercial / residential / multi family,. not increase in value of existing properties. My point is, the taxing authorities are getting millions in new revenue with no infrastructure work necessary like the 3 new car dealerships
talich
Alexandria neighborhood, increased for about 4.2%
woodiewood1
To me, homeowners are getting screwed and commercial owners are having a great time.

Check out some of the commercial properties and their historical appraisals on brazoscad.org

Here's an example of a property on Texas Ave across from A&M. From 2011 tro 2015 the appraised value didn't go up. The in 2016 it was raised but stayed the same for 2017. Then it went DOWN for 2018.

My home sure hasn't done that.

Year
Improvements
Land Market
Ag Valuation
Appraised
HS Cap Loss
Assessed

$702,560
$1,451,260
$0
$2,153,820
$0
$2,153,820

$707,920
$1,451,260
$0
$2,159,180
$0
$2,159,180

$718,530
$1,451,260
$0
$2,169,790
$0
$2,169,790

$922,630
$957,830
$0
$1,880,460
$0
$1,880,460

$922,630
$957,830
$0
$1,880,460
$0
$1,880,460

$922,630
$957,830
$0
$1,880,460
$0
$1,880,460

$922,630
$957,830
$0
$1,880,460
$0
$1,880,460

$922,630
$957,830
$0
$1,880,460
$0
$1,880,460

lost my dog
gunan01 said:

I don't think illegal aliens (and the horror having to give their kids free lunches) have anything to do with our property valuations rising at a ridiculous rate. I don't think "closing the border" (isn't the border already closed?) is going to do anything about these high valuations.

If you have any hard data (like how much money our county gives to schools for free lunches for illegal aliens) to back up your assertions please post it. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a lot of "feelings" and "theories".
Just to clarify, free school lunches and breakfasts are generally paid for using federal (USDA) funds, not local school taxes. So this issue is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Yes, my school taxes have gone up. But since I am quite happy with the quality of the CSISD schools, I sign the check, and view it as the cost of living in a civilized society.
Texasyankee
Near Edelweiss Estates. 2500 square foot "improvements" went from 230,610 to 262,470. Property value stayed the same.
Taxes went from 6400 to 7146.
This isn't sustainable.

Can I sell my house now for the supposed increase and move out of town?
TAMU1990
AG
Down $350
JimInBCS
Was a bit reluctant to look mine up based on previous comments, but although my lot value increased by $8k my overall value decreased by $20k. First decrease since 2011. BTW I'm in Castlegate. Just a bit surprised...was expecting another increase.
JMac03
AG
Ours only went up $1500. Granted it went up a crapton last year so I was grateful for this.
EvenPar
AG
2019 appraisal of unimproved 1.2 acre lot in Duck Haven just under $150k.
carodz
AG
Mine's up 7.7%. If I genuinely believed our home was appreciating this much I wouldn't care, but I don't think I could sell for what they think it's worth (there are several comparable homes in our neighborhood that to my knowledge tried to sell around this price and struggled). Is there a good thread/resource for protesting this stuff?
Fleen
Bryan
Improvements up 4%
Land up 14%

Tax up 10%

House was appraised back in October for $70k more than BCAD Total Market Value...
aggiepaintrain
AG
that's part of the problem
Bryan values are too far below market value and College Station's are much closer to it and in many cases over it when you factor in closing costs and realtor commissions.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Wow....this thread just ruined my sleep tonight. Haven't received mail yet, so went and looked it up:

Homestead: up $60,500 on structure, land no change. Net increase of 13.2%

Investment: up $31,000 on structure, land no change. Net increase of 16.1%

What in the actual **** is going on here? Protested last year and apparently they wiped that from their memory banks.

Edit to add: both are likely higher than market. Investment certainly is by a good $20-25k based on comps I've seen lately.
bugle rank '87
AG
Up $73,000.......WTactualH!!!!!
We’ve never lost a halftime...
lost my dog
RGRAg1/75 said:

Wow....this thread just ruined my sleep tonight. Haven't received mail yet, so went and looked it up:

What in the actual **** is going on here? Protested last year and apparently they wiped that from their memory banks.

Edit to add: both are likely higher than market. Investment certainly is by a good $20-25k based on comps I've seen lately.
How are they increasing your homestead by more than 10%?
RGRAg1/75
AG
lost my dog said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Great question. There is still this note on BrazosCAD:
Quote:

VALUES DISPLAYED ARE 2019 PRELIMINARY VALUES AND ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE PRIOR TO CERTIFICATION

That is certainly one of the many items I will be protesting, but an example of how jacked up Brazos CAD is. Guess they need a way to pay off that shiny new building...
dubi
AG
Quote:

They can increase the value more than 10% in a given year, but the amount you actually have to pay is capped at 10%.
YellowPot_97
AG
82% increase on my empty lot. 80 f-ing 2 percent
KaneIsAble
AG
EvenPar said:

2019 appraisal of unimproved 1.2 acre lot in Duck Haven just under $150k.

You'll be able to protest that as that is not in line with the rest of the subdivision.
TXCityGirl
After reading all of these alarming figures - is it a terrible time to buy a house in College Station?
How do you budget for property taxes with these dramatic changes each year?
BetsyParker
AG
I spent some time collecting data yesterday. On my entire street and the 2 blocks on either side of us, land valuation increased anywhere from 25% to 93%. The majority of the 83 properties in my sample increased 70% or more. I would think that, in such a tight sample area, the land value would have increased by the same percentage...or at least fairly close to the same!
BetsyParker
AG
hudmoon said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Texas-property-tax-bill-clears-Senate-over-big-city-backlash-508634331.html

I used O'connor and associates last year. I went in for an informal hearing before I hired them and I was able to get them down $500 more than O'connor and associates did. I didn't take the deal because I throughly they would do better. Gonna try to fight it again myself this year. This sht is getting ridiculous.
This is useful information. I've been thinking about using one of these companies, but I think we're just going to tackle it on our own.

Everything I've read has said to protest valuation every year...even if it went down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.