Need help identifying guy who is taking packages from our front porch

15,264 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TChaney
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UPDATE 4/23/19
My apologies for the delay as the investigation continues, but I wanted to provide an update to you all because the community had been so helpful in catching this guy.

Crime: Package and identity theft, etc.

Summary:
In the last week of March 2019, our security cameras kept catching a man taking packages off our porch in south College Station. On the third attempt, the majestic Brazos County Sheriff setup a sting and caught the guy. Prior to the arrest, a tip was made privately from a TexAgs member of who identified the perpetrator from the video footage which gave the LEOs a head start.

Perpetrator: David Anthony Slafka

The details:
It turns out this man David Slafka was part of a larger group that steals identities, purchases goods under their credit, has the items shipped to the victims' house while tracking FedEx and UPS so as to be able to quickly obtain the package. They then ship the stolen goods off to the part of the larger group, likely in exchange for payment. In my case, David applied for and used my credit for purchase of electronics like iPhones and computers from Dell, AT&T, Sprint, etc. I am not the only victim in the Brazos Valley from Mr Slafka's actions.

Implications:
My credit has been tarnished and I have received statements from these companies. I am working to repair my credit and undo this mess but this will take some time. Mr Slafka has not been as cooperative with officials as we had hoped and was released on bond after a few nights stay in jail.

Other comments:
I don't know how he stole my identity because as I mentioned, Mr Slafka has resisted to reveal this during the ongoing investigation. Under good advice, it is recommended that I not disclose much more information but I do believe it is helpful to keep the community in the loop as to what happened and how grateful we are for the many people who helped us catch this man. I wish I had the hours of time back that I have and will have to spend in cleaning up this mess, but I also know that much time was saved by the TexAgs community and Sheriffs involved. I also have to thank today's easy-to-use technology (Arlo cameras) and UPS "Live Tracking" (cool tracking of the packages prior to delivery).

Thank you all for your kind help in catching this guy and God bless!

Mike

Video clips combined: http://mhnatt.s3.amazonaws.com/package.mov

--------------------

UPDATE 3/27/19 8:30pm-is: Suspect is in custody. This turned out to be an identity theft/fraud issue that has extensive and large ties beyond local. To allow integrity for the investigation, I have been asked to not yet disclose too many details until the report is made public. I however feel obliged to keep the TexAgs community updated because of the great help you have provided. Awesome job of the LEOs!

Some good tech available to us all (in addition to cameras) was used in the stake-out/bust, which I look forward to sharing when the full details are exposed.

And yes, we will be throwing every legal asset we can at this to shake things up for this criminal organization and hopefully spare some pain for some others who would otherwise have to deal with the nasty consequences of having their identity stolen from these folks.

For those that were asking, we use the Arlo Pro 2's cameras (they record in 1080p). They just released a newer version called the Arlo Ultra which is 4k and also zooms in on license plates. They would have helped, but are a little pricey and besides, in the end, TexAgs came in to save the day!

THANK YOU!!!
-Mike

--------------------

UPDATE 3/27/19 5pm-ish: An investigation with the local authorities is in progress today. In order to ensure they avoid tip-offs, I have removed the OP temporarily and will restore as soon as the subject is detained, hopefully today. Thank you so much for the amazing help!
classicdoug
AG
I hate thieves. Good news is someone should be able to spot that truck.
Stupe
S
Let KBTX know about it. They love to do stories like this.
justalocal
Will keep an eye out for the truck as we live in s college station area
befitter
I would send to KBTX too. This is so maddening!!
unmade bed
Fleen
Take it to the Outdoors Board...seriously...
chigger
AG
Has it been reported to the police? Seems like the first step.
91_Aggie
AG
Fleen said:

Take it to the Outdoors Board...seriously...
THIS! They will be happy to help, with extreme prejudice!~
ClassicArnold
Your cameras are great! Should be easy to recognize that guy & truck.
Bucketrunner
I hope you catch this guy. He's probably hitting other houses in your area, too. Perhaps they have a good picture of the license plate.

Would love to know what cameras you are using. Those pictures are really clear.
chickencoupe16
AG
Any clear pics of the plate?
The Anchor
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Any clear pics of the plate?
He said in the OP that he didn't.
chickencoupe16
AG
You're right. Should have read harder.
bugle rank '87
AG
I believe he uses an Arlo camera system.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
TexAg1987
Are those packages you were expecting or is he having something delivered to your house?

91_Aggie
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Are those packages you were expecting or is he having something delivered to your house?

good question.
ClassicArnold
Hopefully he isn't using a stolen credit card and having items sent to your house.
TexAg1987
ClassicArnold said:

Hopefully he isn't using a stolen credit card and having items sent to your house.
Had a friend who this happened to.

A DELL computer was sent to her house via UPS addressed to her.

She wasn't expecting it and checked her credit card online and found a bogus charge.

Soon after delivery she received a return authorization label from Lone Star overnight for her to send it to a second address (not DELL).

She notified Dell and was told not to send the computer. The charge on her card was reversed.

She ended up keeping the computer because DELL never sent a real return authorization.
purplehayes
TexasAggie_02
91_Aggie
AG
mhnatt said:

UPDATE: An investigation with the local authorities is in progress today. In order to ensure they avoid tip-offs, I have removed the OP temporarily and will restore as soon as the subject is detained, hopefully today. Thank you so much for the amazing help!

mhnatt
Successful sting occurring as I write this and they appear to have caught him in the act again. Will follow up as soon as I have all the details. Awesome work TexAgs and LEOs!
purplehayes
91_Aggie
AG
So, were they your packages he was stealing?
Seemed like small packages to be seen from the road.

Did he follow UPS around?
mhnatt
Updated the OP
SPF250
AG
Love it when a plan comes together.
Oogway
As if you didn't have enough on your plate, you've had to face this! Glad it has worked out. God is good!
saltydog13
AG
Was the truck not impounded when arrested? I just saw the exact truck in Bryan
mhnatt
Updated the OP with more details on the investigation. Thank you!
Check with your homeowners insurance company and see if they have an identity theft provision in your policy. I noticed it in mine recently when I was looking at it for hail damage. Would not have thought to see if I had coverage that way had I not stumbled across it in the policy. And I'm really sorry that you are going through this theft mess, mhnatt.
Aggie1205
AG
Awesome that the tip came from Texags. Thanks for the update!
95_Aggie
AG
You would think a thief would drive a less conspicuous vehicle
EMY92
AG
Short rope and a tall tree may send a message to others like him.
legalbird
Perp's mental ability should be checked. A 72 hour hold at Rusk would be appropriate.

Does he realize that cameras are everywhere?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.