Post Oak Mall

14,691 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by frito bandito
ontheedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For sale sign now up outside of Sears side entrance next to Dillard's. 87,000+ sq ft on 7.5 acres. Appears to be officially for sale now.
cavscout96
AG
1.618 said:

Maybe a Windsor Park Mall to Rackspace situation like in San Antonio?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/realestate/commercial/rackspace-revitalizes-a-defunct-mall-into-an-unorthodox-tech-campus.html

edit: The Brazos County Community College idea is good except that that it take a big piece of property off the tax rolls. I'd rather see the property continue to pay property taxes.
and add an additional tax burden to the residents of BC
cslifer
That for sale sign is just for one of the anchor stores. The whole mall is on 50+ acres and close to a half million square feet of building. The anchors are owned separately.
ETA: Looking a brazoscad it appears to be Sears for sale, which makes sense.
ontheedge
cslifer said:

That for sale sign is just for one of the anchor stores. The whole mall is on 50+ acres and close to a half million square feet of building. The anchors are owned separately.
ETA: Looking a brazoscad it appears to be Sears for sale, which makes sense.
Interesting. Didn't really realize they sold these anchor spaces separately and the acreage did seem small. Thanks for clarifying.
SARATOGA
RACKSPACE
MisterShipWreck
JC Penny's future does not look too great. In a few years, if they close that store down... Two closed anchor stores is the beginning of the end. Many articles online about 1/2 of all shopping malls closing up in 5 to 7 years as well..
Aggies76
AG
Hopefully Macy's and Dillard's will find another building if the mall closes down.
Builder93
AG
The problem with Post Oak Mall has always been parking. They just need a few more parking spaces to really make that place special. I tell you, those city planners in the 80's never understood the importance of more parking.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The parking is beneficial for events at Wolf Pen, so at least it has that going for it.
harrierdoc
AG
How would an indoor sports facility make money? Would the local teams pay extra for access? I can't imagine the business model that wold make that profitable without the government supplementing it or paying for it, then charging for use. I would be against our local government to get into this business. I'd rather A&M do something and take it off the tax rolls rather than us potentially being on the hook for the ownership of it, then, when goes bad, lose money and probably the tax income.
EBrazosAg
AG
harrierdoc said:

How would an indoor sports facility make money? Would the local teams pay extra for access? I can't imagine the business model that wold make that profitable without the government supplementing it or paying for it, then charging for use. I would be against our local government to get into this business. I'd rather A&M do something and take it off the tax rolls rather than us potentially being on the hook for the ownership of it, then, when goes bad, lose money and probably the tax income.
There are multiple successful large indoor sports facilities within 200 miles. I can think of at least 10, and I am probably missing just as many if not more. Most without governmental support - in fact, only large one with a lot of government support I can think of is in Round Rock. Their community benefit statement indicates many millions of dollars a year in sales and hotel motel taxes paid by visitors in excess of their debt service and operating expenses from what I understand. I'm not sure its a ticket to riches, but when you look at hourly rates for rental, plus vendors at tournaments, birthday parties, etc, it certainly works in other towns.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Massive indoor soccer complex is the way to go - but not at Post Oak.
Oogway
If you razed it and lay down artificial turf would there be enough room to make that golf place you golf fiends are always going on about?
Monywolf
Amazon distribution facility
(Removed:11023A)
AG
halibut sinclair said:

ro828 said:

Twenty some years ago Post Oak Mall had a Luby's Cafeteria and a movie theater with three screens. That's all closed down. The food court has about half the offerings that were there when the mall first opened. In the 1980's we'd load up our kids and drive in to spend the day at the mall. Now we live in Bryan and go to the mall maybe one time a year.

POM Food Court 1984.

That breaks my heart
rynning
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

Where was the movie theater at (in the mall)? I moved here in 1996 - but I do not recall a theater in the mall. Maybe I just forgot.

It was just before the One Hour Photo Store....seriously.
harrierdoc
AG
So, are those in highly dense, urban areas? I just don't see our demographic supporting it, and I can't see the population density here making outside communities come all the way here with suitable options closer to them.
cslifer
The LAST thing(s) we need are an unprofitable but "nice/cool" sports complex or TAMU or any other entity that doesn't turn a profit and or pay taxes in the place of the mall. I don't think most people realize the taxes the mall a a whole provides. Everyone on here loves to complain about taxes, but if that money dries up it is going to have to come from somewhere. In reality we should be supporting the mall, between the property and sales taxes collected it is huge to our community.
CrazyAgE
Bulldoze it all down and re-vamp it into the newer concept of an outdoor mall/retail space where people want to come.

Make sure it has a Dave and Busters!
michellecan
Agree Crazy!
Brewmaster
AG
CrazyAgE said:

Bulldoze it all down and re-vamp it into the newer concept of an outdoor mall/retail space where people want to come.

Make sure it has a Dave and Busters!
not the worst idea... although Century Square is already doing this, but perhaps there are enough students with money to support it. A mixed use development - multifamily residential with restaurants and storefronts on the 1st floor.

Heck let's put a lazy river through the middle of it while we're at it
jja79
AG
This is something I know nothing about. Can you name a couple of examples of such facilities?
Stupe
S
andyv94 said:

halibut sinclair said:

ro828 said:

Twenty some years ago Post Oak Mall had a Luby's Cafeteria and a movie theater with three screens. That's all closed down. The food court has about half the offerings that were there when the mall first opened. In the 1980's we'd load up our kids and drive in to spend the day at the mall. Now we live in Bryan and go to the mall maybe one time a year.

POM Food Court 1984.

That breaks my heart
Mine, too.

CrottyKid
AG
Picture this.

20 chicken strips restaurants under one roof!
studioone

actually went to the mall saturday.... it was SAD!.. i remember when it was packed... i doubt there were more than 150 people in the entire mall...

where do kids go for entertainment nowadays?
rynning
AG
Maybe Stranger Things 3 will spark a resurgence in local malls this summer.
Oryx
High Density Housing
Gator92
AG
https://grapevine.fieldhouseusa.com/

Grapevine Mills Mall. Basketball, Volleyball, Futsal.

Evidently they have leagues both kids and adult.
Bvseamless1
The indoor sports complex is definitely a good idea. My girls play club volleyball and we spend a ton of money chasing them around the country to take them to tournaments. The hotel stays alone would be a huge benefit for the city. Volleyball by itself fills the first floor of the George R Brown multiple times a year with players from all over the state and country.
O.G.
Monywolf said:

Amazon distribution facility

Bite your tounge. I'm currently staying near one of those. You think the traffic is bad around there now, wait until you have 18 wheelers coming night and day with a ton of their employees coming and going.

Cops have to direct traffic daily, I mean every day, because the traffic lights would take too long and its worse during the holidays.

Fleen
MisterShipWreck said:

Where was the movie theater at (in the mall)? I moved here in 1996 - but I do not recall a theater in the mall. Maybe I just forgot.

Ha, I worked there the first part of the Summer of 1995. Then I got called up to the Big Leagues of the brand new Cinemark. Due to distribution rights, Post Oak got better movies as they were a Carmike Cinema. Screened Braveheart there...
frito bandito
Bvseamless1 said:

The indoor sports complex is definitely a good idea. My girls play club volleyball and we spend a ton of money chasing them around the country to take them to tournaments. The hotel stays alone would be a huge benefit for the city. Volleyball by itself fills the first floor of the George R Brown multiple times a year with players from all over the state and country.
We did this with daughter, driving to club practices 3 nights a week at the Woodlands. It paid off, she got a full D1 ride, but I really think the money we spent on club volleyball dues, private lessons, weekly practice expense, hotels, airfare, mileage, eating out > her scholarship.

I do think a multi-use facility would kill here. BCS is centrally located between DFW, Houston, San Antonio & Austin; teams in volleyball, indoor soccer, and basketball would see more competition without big travel. Hotels and food choices abound, especially during the spring and summer when club season is at its peak.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.