Private Caregiver

1,686 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JeepWaveEarl
naninue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a neighbor in need of an overnight caregiver for his wife who's in the early stages of dementia. He's retired but often travels out of town on business. Agencies charge an arm and a leg!
dubi
AG
naninue said:

I have a neighbor in need of an overnight caregiver for his wife who's in the early stages of dementia. He's retired but often travels out of town on business. Agencies charge an arm and a leg!

Occasional 1 night. Or it could be multiple nights.

Is someone else covering the day?

I find that students workers in our office at A&M will take extra occasional jobs like that. I hired them to tend to my house and pets when I'm on vacation. Also they would keep our older kids when we would travel.
JaneDoe02
AG
We use Comfort Keepers for my Mother-in-law. It's stupid expensive but I like the peace of mind that comes with an agency.
Koko Chingo
AG
We have used Superior. They are $20/hr.

I probably have the name a bit messed up. The card is on my mom's fridge. We got the referral from Hospice Brazos Valley. You can call Hospice to get referrals.

We have used individuals in the past and it has been about $15/hr. I was surprised how many college students are doing this. You may want to ask dubi who posted about their students to reach out.

Tell your neighbor to hang in there. Nothing about dementia is good. The whole thing sucks, and adds so much stress to all involved.
naninue
Thank you for your suggestions. He is home with his wife during the day and has used Visiting Angels for one hour so he can get some respite. He tried going out of town and leaving her alone overnight and it was a disaster! He had to drive home.
trouble
AG
As a former hospice nurse, I'll encourage him to use an agency. Yes, individuals will be cheaper but they aren't insured, you have no idea of their training or lack of, and if something happens to them (illness etc) the day you need them, most aren't going to feel obligated to help you find a replacement.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I used to be the Director of HR at one of the agencies in BCS and while I do not work in that field anymore, still have a great relationship with the owner and the staff there. I can let you know a personal contact at this company if requested and happy to connect you. They're the leaders in Alzheimer's care and training for their field. My email is whoop03 atgeemaildotcom.

In my role there you would not BELIEVE what I saw from people who applied to be one, were denied and worked privately for folks, etc. I encourage you to do whatever you can to use an agency. Research if she/he may have a long term care policy that may cover in-home care, sell some furniture, etc. but please use a place that is state licensed and bg checks, screens and does site visits weekly, has an obligation to have someone there regardless of illness, and MOST importantly trains their CG to deal with those who suffer from Alzheimer's specifically. That is why they're expensive.. it costs money to do it the right way. Not only will that make a difference in the sense of peace you have when he's gone, but, they'll well be equipped to deal with the many facets of what that disease can present.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.