2818 widening project

4,115 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jaypop
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we can all agree going from 4 lanes to 6 is a good idea. It will be upgraded from half mile north of 60 to Wellborn Rd.

Quote:

The existing FM 2818 roadway consists of a four-lane undivided roadway with a 14-foot continuous two-way left turn lane. There are two travel lanes in each direction, bounded by shoulders that vary from six to 10 feet. The existing and proposed right of way varies from 300 to 575 feet in width.

The proposed 3.2 mile project would realign and widen FM 2818 from four to six lanes, install shared-use paths, and improve intersections. There would be three travel lanes in each direction, separated with either a center concrete traffic barrier or grass median, and bounded by 5.5-foot shoulders. A grade separated cross street (flyover bridge without connecting ramps) is proposed at Jones-Butler Road.

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
doubledog
Will they also re-work the stop lights along this section of highway?
Gigem314
AG
When are they supposed to start?

A video was posted a while back that showed the widened road with a large grass median (where an overpass could potentially be placed in the future) and those quirky left-turn lanes.

Anything at this point would be a relief.

But with the proposed construction of Bush/Welborn I was just curious if these projects would happen at the same time, or be spread out.

Really hope something is started by the summer.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

Will they also re-work the stop lights along this section of highway?
Good question for the public hearing April 2 at the VFW.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/bryan/040219.html

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
95_Aggie
AG
You can download the schematic here

It takes a while though because it is pretty big.
techno-ag
AG
Starts Fall 2020, expected to take 2 years.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
ooshwa
Staff
AG
Here's a portion of that PDF showing 2818 & George Bush, giving you a feel for how those intersections will work.

EBrazosAg
AG
ooshwa said:

Here's a portion of that PDF showing 2818 & George Bush, giving you a feel for how those intersections will work.

Nothing like adding 2 lights to the current 4 in an intersection to make it work well!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rexter
Why...oh why.....on God's green earth can't they build a dang bridge over Holleman at 2818?
studioone
you smoking something, techno?

I cant agree it's good.. just gonna make a miserable mess.... and they just finished all the exit and entrance ramps...
ooshwa
Staff
AG
EBrazosAg said:

ooshwa said:

Nothing like adding 2 lights to the current 4 in an intersection to make it work well!!
I'll optimistically hope they'll work in conjunction with each other.

I've been very pleased with the 60/2818 interchange (I use it multiple times a day) despite the addition of traffic lights. Its primary downfall IMO is when 2818 backs up onto the southbound ramp and effective shuts down have the intersection. This should eventually help.
techno-ag
AG
studioone said:

I cant agree it's good.. just gonna make a miserable mess.... and they just finished all the exit and entrance ramps...
Six lanes trumps four, imho.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I know the answer is money....but my constant gripe/wish if money wasn't an issue is to just make 2818 a highway and add overpass' and feeder roads for cross traffic....eventually taking it all the way to 6 or Fitch....

Imagine leaving Kyle field to head back to Houston or heck even south CS and getting on 2818 and taking it all the way to 6 with no stop lights. Not to mention the heavy student population that lives along this road...it would help eliminate unnecessary, dangerous left turns across 60 MPH traffic.
techno-ag
AG
salloh_tamu said:

I know the answer is money....but my constant gripe/wish if money wasn't an issue is to just make 2818 a highway and add overpass' and feeder roads for cross traffic....eventually taking it all the way to 6 or Fitch....

Imagine leaving Kyle field to head back to Houston or heck even south CS and getting on 2818 and taking it all the way to 6 with no stop lights. Not to mention the heavy student population that lives along this road...it would help eliminate unnecessary, dangerous left turns across 60 MPH traffic.
This portion they are redoing, at least, will have a grassy median or concrete wall.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Gigem314
AG
salloh_tamu said:

At least with the current proposal, they've built-in space that would fit an overpass. So that might be a long-term plan. I do think turning 2818 into a full overpass from from 6 to 60 makes a ton of sense. And maybe that will eventually happen.
Rexter
Better yet, start with 40 at 6 and make it a freeway that runs from 6 to Wellborn rd, then turns north on Wellborn to 2818, and then west to connect to the Villa Maria overpass.
Gigem314
AG
Rexter said:

Better yet, start with 40 at 6 and make it a freeway that runs from 6 to Wellborn rd, then turns north on Wellborn to 2818, and then west to connect to the Villa Maria overpass.
That just seems too far out of the way, and would probably require twice the amount of freeway.

40 winds around and gets really narrow at the intersection with Wellborn. Then they'd have to run it along Wellborn and intersect with the overpass at 2818. Widening Wellborn to create a feeder road would probably be a more challenging task....the railroad tracks running parallel really limit how wide you can go.

2818 is a straight shot to 6.
studioone
techno-ag said:

studioone said:

Six lanes trumps four, imho.

well.. just shut down TAMU.. it'll reduce all the traffic and headaches....

works for me...
Expert Analysis
AG
Public meeting today on this project.
Where:
VFW Post #4692
794 North Harvey Mitchell Parkway
Bryan, TX 77807 (Map)
When:
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Open House: 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Public Hearing: 6:00 p.m.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/bryan/040219.html
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/fm2818.html

Here is a link to a large file that shows the new plans that include the COCS grade separation at Jones Bulter
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/get-involved/bry/fm2818/4-2-19-schematic.pdf
95_Aggie
AG
Seems like that future extension of Jones Butler (if it ever happens) would take some pressure off of Holleman.
PS3D
Screwing up Holleman to eliminate going just straight over sucks, but how they would hook in Jones-Butler back in with Holleman and Dowling again? They wouldn't revert Holleman and Dowling to its 2004-2011 configuration, so would they blast through the RV park? Extend it to Larimer?
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

Screwing up Holleman to eliminate going just straight over sucks, but how they would hook in Jones-Butler back in with Holleman and Dowling again? They wouldn't revert Holleman and Dowling to its 2004-2011 configuration, so would they blast through the RV park? Extend it to Larimer?
Comments are still open even though the open house was yesterday.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TxDOT-holds-open-house-on-future-of-FM-2818-508048541.html

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
jaypop
It'll happen. It'll be tolls for the overpasses. BCS doesn't get adequate funds from TXDOT district even though we have such a high growth rate (traffic problems). The RMA starting up should help these types of issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.