Looking to Purchase Tankless Water Heater

2,152 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by slyk
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're looking to purchase an electric tankless water heater because our standard (though fairly new) water heater just isn't cutting it for the whole house. We'd like one that will serve two bathrooms, sometimes running a shower in each at the same time. In addition to this, we live in an area with high water pressure so it really needs to have good output. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? I would love to shop around and speak to people, but I can't for the life of me imagine where I would find someone knowledgeable and well-versed, with items in stock, even in the Houston area.
TxSquarebody
I have a Takagi TK-jr. It worked great for 8 years. Turns out the plumber installed my vent stack upside down and condensation ruined the blower fan. I replaced with another, installed properly, and have zero issues. Provides enough hot water for the washing machine, dishwasher, and two showers running simultaneously. Also WAY cheaper that the Rinnai units.
EBrazosAg
AG
Rinnai x 2 for 16 years. One service - controller board. Remotes for temp in all bathrooms. Set at temp you want and run all hot in shower. Then toilet flush (cold water) does not affect your shower temp. They are awesome and can each handle a shower and a bathtub fill at same time. Not saying other products are not as good. All I know is that Rinnai is very reliable and effective for me. And mine are ancient.

FYI - flush any of them every year or so. Save some money and buy 2 clothes washer hoses, a hose thread sump pump, 5 gallons of vinegar and a 5 gallon bucket. You can do the flush on each unit in an hour. For about $80 of supplies once. Plumbers charge about $150 each time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
meezermom
Thanks so much for the help - it seems like Rinnai doesn't make electric tankless so that seems like a dead end, unfortunately. I'm still hunting to see if Takagi has electric or not. I was hoping this process was going to be much easier!
techno-ag
AG
Last I looked at an after-construction installation, an extra 240 line needed to be run from the circuit box, so you might have to consider that in your installation budget. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.
Aggie1205
AG
Check out Ferguson in Bryan and see what they can offer.
meezermom
Definitely budgeting to have a line run and have extra space in the breaker box for it. I'll look at Ferguson - thank you!
JP76
What size is your water heater tank now ?

Electric heater ?

Have you tested the elements and thermostats ?

Verified what the upper and lower thermostats are set at and tried moving them higher ?

Before going tankless would try one of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Heatguard-Water-Heater-Tank-Booster-24409/203721329

EBrazosAg
AG
Missed the electric requirement. Be warned they don't last as long as gas or propane. Usually 5-6 years of regular use from my experience with them. I would go with a good high insulation tank if electric.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Krow
Call a professional! I have used Dynamic Drains Plumbing. They are very knowledgeable and do excellent work. The owner is a great guy with a lot of experience. I 100% recommend them. (979) 353-4205

meezermom
I'm going to head to Ferguson and check them out over Spring Break. I had never heard of them - hope they have some things in stock and are able to give a good quote. Thanks for all of the input - it's very much appreciated!
Carny89
AG plumping in bryan put in my tankless has water heater a week ago. I love it. It's was about $2300
maddiedou
AG
Moore. Supply. Talk with Herb. Only herb tell him what you are doing and he will direct you int the right way
meezermom
Thank you guys so much!
ooshwa
Staff
AG
EBrazosAg said:

FYI - flush any of them every year or so. Save some money and buy 2 clothes washer hoses, a hose thread sump pump, 5 gallons of vinegar and a 5 gallon bucket. You can do the flush on each unit in an hour. For about $80 of supplies once. Plumbers charge about $150 each time.
This is important. Make sure you do it! ...and it's very easy and cheap to do yourself.
slyk
No way to run gas?
From what I hear and see (as I am in a lot of homes) I rarely see electric tankless whole house water heaters vs gas versions. I don't think their efficiency is all that great compared to the gas tankless, plus I think the main disadvantage is they are slower to heat up and deliver hot water compared to gas ones. Not sure all else why so do some research.
I did come across one person that had one in their home (retrofit) and it had four 30 (or 50) amp 240 volt cords on it! So they really do suck the power on demand! Electric service panel would have to be upgraded to accommodate such.
Now with that said, I do see a fair amount of Point-Of-Use electric tankless heaters, like under sinks and such. These seem to work well. I have seen some homes with one of these under all the sinks. However I don't think they can deliver the flow needed for tubs/showers/washers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.