Looking for LEGOs for graduation pictures

3,027 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fleen
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My autistic daughter loves LEGOs and is graduating from CSHS in May. We'd love to build large "2019" numbers (12" tall) for her senior pictures. She has a fair collection of LEGOs, but cherishes each and every one. So, we're looking for more LEGOs for this project. Either free or reasonably priced LEGOs would all be appreciated. We would be happy to pay shipping if you're not in B/CS. We really just need brick shaped pieces, not the specialty pieces that are so common in sets these days.

Please let me know if you have something we can use.

email to rneuendorff at G mail.

Cross posting in Classifieds forum.

Edited to clarify we are not seeking monetary donations (but graciously appreciate the one we received).
skeetboy3
AG
Congrats! As a father of an autistic kid, I love seeing things like this. Best wishes for her future and thank you for all you have done for her.
Spoony Love
AG
How many do you think will be needed?
missylew
I wonder if Lego corporate might be willing to step in to help by lending legos for your daughter's pics?

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/service?domainredir=service.lego.com

java94
AG
Spoony Love said:

How many do you think will be needed?
That's really hard for me to estimate... My plan is to build the numbers about 10" tall. I've taken an "Athletic" font and printed templates that practically fill a single sheet each, and I was going to build to match that. I'm not going to do it solid, but all sides would be enclosed, so "hollow" would be the best description. I'd guess, depending on the size of the bricks, 500-750 or so for the '1' and 1000-2000 for the other numbers?

I'm going to start with the 1 and 9, in case time and/or supplies come up short.

And, of course like everything in life, the event is right around the corner.
java94
AG
missylew said:

I wonder if Lego corporate might be willing to step in to help by lending legos for your daughter's pics?

Not a bad idea, and my wife just suggested we do that. I'll reach out to them, but I don't hold much hope in the short time frame we are working with.
java94
AG
missylew said:

The more I look into it, everything I'm reading on their website says No... They specifically say they get so many requests that they focus on hospitals and disadvantaged children, and aren't able to support individuals.
java94
AG
Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

Looks like we're going the bulk knock-off route from Amazon. As a LEGO fan myself, it's hard to bring myself to use the knock-offs, but free next day shipping with Prime helps. Hopefully they stay together, or I'll have to break out the Kragle (that's Krazy Glue from the LEGO movie for those who aren't fans).
Spoony Love
AG
We certainly don't have that many but my freshman never touches his and this would be a perfect reason to get rid of the excess that has collected. We just moved eight months ago and lugged the entire collection of legos. He hasn't touched them since and they are just taking up room. As soon as i get home and discuss with him I'll let you now what he decides.

I've been pushing to get these things gone.
ChampsAg
Reach out to the brick place in the mall. I hear that they are going out of business
java94
AG
ChampsAg said:

Reach out to the brick place in the mall. I hear that they are going out of business

I was unaware that even existed, as I avoid the mall even more than Wal-Mart... I called the number and the recording said they were closed effective immediately. Guess I'll see if they call me back. I did buy a few things from Fungeneering when they closed, but didn't foresee this project at that time.
Fleen
Did your daughter attend College Hills?
java94
AG
Fleen said:

Did your daughter attend College Hills?

Yes she did. We were not zoned for CH, but she went there for the ABC program with Mrs Boutton.
Fleen
I remember your sweet girl, it's hard to believe my CHE kiddos have started graduating HS. I am reaching out to a coworker here with connections to LEGO League, I'll see what she says.
trouble
AG
Have you checked resale shops?
SoTheySay
S
There is a big lego exhibit at Perot Museum right now and I know there are Lego groups all over the US. Maybe one of them would do this for you?!
Hammerheadjim
AG
I have a few million from our Freshman Engineering classes at TAMU. Contact me via my contact info and I will put you in touch with someone who can help.
java94
AG
I appreciate all the feedback... Things were starting slow, and I didn't think we were going to get the positive feedback we have received. Being a LEGO fan myself, I hated to do it, but we ordered knock-off bricks from Amazon Monday morning.

And Jim, I didn't see any contact info in your profile.

Thanks and Gig'em.

Richard '94
Finding X
I don't get on here very often - but we have Lego nights every once in a while at our centers - We have a LOT of Lego's and you're welcome to use them for what you need.

Email me at james.speer@mathnasium.com and I can set that up for you.
java94
AG
Finding X said:

I don't get on here very often - but we have Lego nights every once in a while at our centers - We have a LOT of Lego's and you're welcome to use them for what you need.

Email me at james.speer@mathnasium.com and I can set that up for you.

Thank you for the generous offer, but we want this to be something she can keep in her room after graduation. We have purchased knock-offs, and have received some donated LEGOs, but are still looking for more. I have a couple other posters who have emailed me that I need to get back to.
Fleen
Didn't realize you were still looking for some, will check tomorrow...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.