Broken fluorescent light tube disposal?

1,205 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M2Spider
screamingbears90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was cleaning out the garage and broke one of my (dead and out of the socket for 1 month) fluorescent light tubes. I was planning on taking it to Home Depot when it was intact, but I've been super busy. Anyway, the when the tube broke, some phosphor powder came out. I grabbed a broom (which, apparently you aren't supposed to do), and swept the pile and glass, used tape to get some of the smaller shards of glass, and wiped down the area with a wet paper towel, disposing of all in a separate trash container.

How do I go about disposing of the broken fluorescent light tube and trash container? I'm probably overreacting but I am a hypochondriac and read that contact with the mercury can contaminate clothing (after sweeping, I walked on the surface that had powder so I worry that the shoes are not contaminated). I'd also worry about putting the trash container with the broken light in my car because of vapors.
M2Spider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'll be able to take it to the BVSWMA Household Hazardous Waste disposal event in April.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.