Brazos County Stops Maintenance of Road

4,099 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by brazos_resident
brazos_resident
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quick History:

- There is a short section of gravel road (500 feet) leading to our neighborhood (which is on a private road).
- Brazos County has maintained this section for 30 years and it was platted and accepted by the Commissioners Court.
- This section has a creek crossing and was severely damaged due to all the rain last year.
- After the damage the County decided they were no longer going to maintain this section of road.

In doing research we are curious if anyone knows of any other gravel sections of road which are maintained by Brazos County connecting a paved road to a private road or residence. Also curious if anyone knows of other instances of Brazos County ceasing to maintain roads.

Thanks

techno-ag
AG
brazos_resident said:

Quick History:

- There is a short section of gravel road (500 feet) leading to our neighborhood (which is on a private road).
- Brazos County has maintained this section for 30 years and it was platted and accepted by the Commissioners Court.
- This section has a creek crossing and was severely damaged due to all the rain last year.
- After the damage the County decided they were no longer going to maintain this section of road.

In doing research we are curious if anyone knows of any other gravel sections of road which are maintained by Brazos County connecting a paved road to a private road or residence. Also curious if anyone knows of other instances of Brazos County ceasing to maintain roads.

Thanks

Most county roads in Brazos are paved these days. I know a section of Democrat Lane (I think) that goes over the Navasota is unpaved near the river.

You might try talking with your local county judge/commissioner if you haven't already.
bugle rank '87
AG
Sand Creek Road has one section that is not paved. People there have been complaining for years.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
aggiegal99
Woodview Drive. Between the Forest Lakes subdivision and Woodview loop.

PS3D
A portion of Hopes Creek Road/Koppe Bridge Road is still dirt and gravel.
91_Aggie
AG
I remember growing up on an unpaved county road back in the 80's. My mother would go and raise holy hell with the county officials until she got that road paved finally.
brazos_resident
Thanks for all of the road locations. I will be checking them out to see if there are any similarities.
LOYAL AG
AG
A couple I can think of:

Batts Ferry. Connects Koppe Bridge with to the river for no apparent reason and has at least a couple of driveways. There's also a gas pump station down there which might necessitate road maintenance, I'm not sure.

Someone mentioned Koppe Bridge/Hopes Creek. If you drive down there when you reach the intersection take the turn towards the river and you'll find several people living down there.

Minter Springs. I THINK there are driveways off of it as well. It's a really short road connecting Koppe Bridge to Arhopolous. It's right next to Batts Ferry so if you're out here looking at that one might as well check it out to.
PS3D
The further you go from College Station, the more dirt roads there are, and while the county has done a good job of paving roads (even in the 1990s Dowling Road south of Hopes Creek was unpaved), they still persist. White Switch Road, portions of Old Highway 6 (the parts that ARE paved seem to not have been touched in decades), and Lake Ridge Road are more unpaved roads.
SARATOGA
I'd love for the county to stop maintaining my road. It floods and washes out and repeats. There is nobody past me on the road, so if they stopped maintaining it would not effect any other homes. Such a waste of money.

I wish I could transfer the maintenance of my county road to you and your county road !
brazos_resident
Great suggestions, sounds like I need to take a drive out in that area.
brazos_resident
I would love to take you up on the option of the transfer but doubting the county would go for it :-)
brazos_resident
SARATOGA said:

I'd love for the county to stop maintaining my road. It floods and washes out and repeats. There is nobody past me on the road, so if they stopped maintaining it would not effect any other homes. Such a waste of money.

I wish I could transfer the maintenance of my county road to you and your county road !
@saratoga, can you tell me what road you live on? I would be curious to drive by it and see how it compares to ours. I don't see an option in the forum for direct messaging, if you don't want to post it here could you email it to me at: brazosresident@gmail.com?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
techno-ag said:

You might try talking with your local county judge/commissioner if you haven't already.
Too late for that. County Judges and Commissioners eliminated this duty years ago. They all created a position called County Engineer.

So when they get a call from their constituents they say "we would love to help but that is up to the County Engineer." Of course the CE is a government bureaucrat protected by the good ole boy County Judges and Commissioners.

They scratch each others backs. CE keeps his job and the politicians don't have to worry about someone running against them in an election.

Unless you are in a small rural county County Judges and Commissioners are as useful as teats on a bull.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
brazos_resident
I realize they all work together. Hoping by finding similar situations where the county is still maintaining the road will give some basis for our request.
GoneGirl
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Batts Ferry. Connects Koppe Bridge with to the river for no apparent reason
http://www.texasresearchramblers.org/newspapers/scrapbookitems/battsferryneighborhood.pdf
brazos_resident
Thanks for the link on Batts Ferry.
brazos_resident
I found a very helpful map of Brazos County Roads here: https://www.brazoscountytx.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/5. It is from 2012 but shows red where private roads are and brown where county maintained gravel roads are. It has given me some more locations to check out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.