Imagine that....Mooney wants no limit on property tax increases

4,627 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drilltime
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
or an exemption for CoCS. He and Kacal feel it should be under local control. It probably wouldn't be an issue if there were already some sort of control, but when values jump as high as 30% in a year, something needs to be done to put the brakes on that.
deh40
AG
They always use the excuse of growth, but the property tax revenues are increasing far faster than the growth rate.
woodiewood1
Most governments and their representatives can never quench the thirst for other peoples money. It's just the nature of the beast.

All these comments by our elected officials should be posted repeatedly and remembered when going to vote in the next election.

I would like to see the max increase to be something like one percent over the cost of living.

KidDoc
AG
It is really difficult to figure out who to vote for in this town. They almost all preach lower taxes but also want to grow their pet projects.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txgardengirl
TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD
$1.372 College Staton ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan
$0.505841 City of College Station

Total for a Bryan (in city resident)
$2.45499

Total for a CS (in city resident)
$2.362841

just throwing that out there

Muzzleblast
Kacel and every other politician are addicted to your money.

This is not about local control. It's about politicians being able to tax and spend.

The Eagle has published a letter to the editor today and it states that the increase is capped at 2.5%. That's a lie and The Eagle knows better. Above 2.5% increases would require voter approval.

The Texas Public Policy Foundation has great analysis on this issue.

What's more local than voters approving the amount they get taxed. Kacel and Rainey need to feel the heat on this one.
KidDoc
AG
txgardengirl said:

TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan

$2.45499

$2.362841

Where is the hidden tax for COCS with utilities? We pay 0.12/kwh vs 0.6 an hour down the road.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
deh40
AG
Muzzleblast said:

This is not about local control. It's about politicians being able to tax and spend.

The Eagle has published a letter to the editor today and it states that the increase is capped at 2.5%. That's a lie and The Eagle knows better. Above 2.5% increases would require voter approval.

What's more local than voters approving the amount they get taxed. Kacel and Rainey need to feel the heat on this one.
Taxpayers need to be e-mailing and calling them! The taxing entities are obviously in their ear on a regular basis so they need to hear more from the other side. Kacal already said he would NOT support the cap in its current form so the pressure from the cities, county, school districts, etc is working.

The Governor and top officials in the House and Senate seem to be ready to push the cap forward, but doesn't appear the local officials are. Take a minute and contact Kacal, Raney and Schwertner.
legalbird
Achievers are fundamentally bad people and should be heavily taxed. When they think they have seen the apex of tax, they should be surprised with another tax.

It is better to be a consumer, or beneficiary, and just accept basic housing and food from the government.

GO AOC!!!!
Hablue65
The rates haven't increased but the tax appraisal on my home and property has increase more than $50K in 3 years. The politicians can say they haven't raised taxes. I now pay over $600 a month rent to the county, city and schools for the pleasure of living in Brazos County
What does Mooney care about higher taxes? It does not impact him personally. His taxes are frozen as are all the age 65 and older crowd. And guess who votes in the largest numbers...the over 65 crowd! So yea, go ahead and tax the crap out of everyone else.

On my block, there are 2 houses owned by seniors and my taxes are twice what one of those folks pays and 3 times what the other pays. My house is smaller and not as nice as either of their homes. If you want to see who on your block is paying half of what you are, go check www.brazoscad.org and search by street.
Hammerheadjim
AG
KidDoc said:

txgardengirl said:

TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan

$2.45499

$2.362841

Where is the hidden tax for COCS with utilities? We pay 0.12/kwh vs 0.6 an hour down the road.
Or the higher, inflated appraisals for COCS???
curry97
AG
Hablue65 said:

The rates haven't increased but the tax appraisal on my home and property has increase more than $50K in 3 years. The politicians can say they haven't raised taxes. I now pay over $600 a month rent to the county, city and schools for the pleasure of living in Brazos County

This is the reason we will be moving once our son graduates. Someone else is welcome to take it off my hands and pay that.
Hablue65
I was born and raised in Brazos county, all my family lives here as well as my wife's
Muzzleblast
There is no cap in this bill, only a trigger point for voters to approve the increases.

deh40
AG
Muzzleblast said:

There is no cap in this bill, only a trigger point for voters to approve the increases.

Semantics
taxpreparer
AG
Governments (county, city, ISD) don't want the property valuation cap because it raises taxes without the elected officials raising the rate. that way they can say, "We did not raise taxes this year."

I understand t her is talk of making the chief appraiser an elected official. I wish that bill would be introduced and passed. Or, better yet, property valuations be frozen at the purchase price and tax rates adjusted as needed. Then the elected officials would be on the hook for tax increases. Property tax valuations would be changed when the property changed hands.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
KaneIsAble
AG
curry97 said:

Hablue65 said:

This is the reason we will be moving once our son graduates. Someone else is welcome to take it off my hands and pay that.

This - so much this.... it's the only reason we don't live in King Oaks. Give me another 15 years of this crap and I'll take my equity to Grimes county.
Tex Aggie
AG
Texas is one of the highest in nation now
woodiewood1
Muzzleblast said:

What possessed you to think that voters should have input into the decisions of your honored representatives. They know so much more about how your life should be run that you should not even question their comments.

Basically, vote for me and then STxU.

Love Gun
It seems like Mooney is always trying to squeeze more money out of College Station residents. I voted for him in 2016. Not looking very promising for a re-election vote from me in the future.

I like the guy, but the city doesn't need my money that bad.
Marlin39m
KidDoc said:

5x? I think your numbers are off.
woodiewood1
Hammerheadjim said:

KidDoc said:

txgardengirl said:

TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan

$2.45499

$2.362841

I think you mean .12 versus .06.

I used 1037 KWH last month for a cost of $128.65 for a cost per KWH of 12.4 cents. If you go to http://powertochoose.org and type in various zip codes for Texas, the rates are as low as 6.8 cents per KWH.

I pay basically twice what my football friends need to pay in Arlington in zip 76001.

techno-ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Hammerheadjim said:

KidDoc said:

txgardengirl said:

TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan

$2.45499

$2.362841

I used 1037 KWH last month for a cost of $128.65 for a cost per KWH of 12.4 cents. If you go to http://powertochoose.org and type in various zip codes for Texas, the rates are as low as 6.8 cents per KWH.

I pay basically twice what my football friends need to pay in Arlington in zip 76001.

The electricity surcharges are an effort by Mooney and others in CStat to extract money from the students because they do not typically pay property taxes. Unfortunately it affects everybody else who lives there too.
KidDoc
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Hammerheadjim said:

KidDoc said:

txgardengirl said:

TAX RATES LOCALLY
per $100 valuation

$0.485 Brazos County

$1.34 Bryan ISD

$0.629990 City of Bryan

$2.45499

$2.362841

Yes you are right I meant 0.06 thanks!
woodiewood1
Of course property taxes as well as other landlord costs are not passed onto all renters.
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Of course property taxes as well as other landlord costs are not passed into all renters.
I know, I know. Still, sticking it to students is one of their justifications for the utility surcharges.
cslifer
If the electricity rates were lowered, what city services should be cut to make up for the resulting budget shortfall?
taxpreparer
AG
Utility charges should be for utilities.

What city services are being provided that the utility charges are paying for? Why cannot the city be honest about what those services are costing the taxpayers?
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
cslifer
I 100% agree with you. But the reality in this case is that they are used for more than utilities and some go into the general fund. So again, how do you propose filling that gap if the rates were reduced?
ETA not sure if they go to general fund or not, but are definitely used for non utility things from my understanding. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
KidDoc
AG
cslifer said:

I 100% agree with you. But the reality in this case is that they are used for more than utilities and some go into the general fund. So again, how do you propose filling that gap if the rates were reduced?
ETA not sure if they go to general fund or not, but are definitely used for non utility things from my understanding. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
The excess income goes to the general fund.

I would prefer the city leaders be honest and call it a tax instead of hiding it in a bill that most people do not pay attention to.

I actually went solar a year ago to at least mitigate this tax I have little control over and is never on the ballot.

cslifer
Out of curiosity what does the solar end up working out to per hour?
KidDoc
AG
cslifer said:

Out of curiosity what does the solar end up working out to per hour?
With the federal rebate and over 25 years it will cause my total electrical cost to be around $60,000 vs $84,000 at my current usage and current city rates. So it works out to around 0.085/kwh.

That depends on how you fund it as well but I got a 4 year 0% interest loan.

Not a great deal but, since I don't plan to move, a decent investment for me.

Without the federal rebate it would be roughly a wash- but I'll use any loophole to recover some of my income tax.
woodiewood1
KidDoc said:

cslifer said:

The excess income goes to the general fund.

I would prefer the city leaders be honest and call it a tax instead of hiding it in a bill that most people do not pay attention to.

I actually went solar a year ago to at least mitigate this tax I have little control over and is never on the ballot.

All electricity revenues should be spent on covering current fixed and operating costs and building reserves for future electrical supply and service needs...nothing else.
AgsWin2011
AG
Probably so they can afford fancy offices at the new city hall
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.